is it too early to ask: will hawaii bowl again in 2019?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

is it too early to ask: will hawaii bowl again in 2019?

Post by st808 »

hawaii 2018 record: 8-6

2019 non-conference games/2018 record
arizona: 5-7
oregon st: 2-10
@washington: 10-3
central arkansas: 6-5
army: 11-2

2019 conference games/2018 record
@boise st: 10-3
air force: 5-7
fresno st: 12-2
san diego st: 7-6
san jose st: 1-11
@nevada: 8-5
@new mexico: 3-9
@unlv: 4-8

2018 was rolo's rebuilding year with a team that surprised with qualifying for the hawaii bowl. will the 2019 warrior team make it to post-season play?

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Re: is it too early to ask: will hawaii bowl again in 2019?

Post by Nisei »

It's going to be a challenge, for sure. The schedule is much tougher than it was last year, and we lose John Ursua to the NFL. However, we had a very young offensive line last year, which will most likely improve. We also have the same defensive coordinator for the first time in forever. The defense improved a lot in the last 2 regular season games. They performed decently in the bowl game, considering the offense's inability to move the ball.

If we do, it'll most likely be on a 7-6 record. I believe we'll hit our ceiling this year on an 8-5 regular season record. That'd be great, in my opinion.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Always get chance to go 13-0! Never lose yet.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

It'll be tough as nail for sure. idk if a BYU matchup (if they qualify) is all that intriguing tho. But I think it'd be better than any American team other than UCF

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I don't know why BYU is penciled in by ESPN since you really don't know if they will qualify. Why can't they just say it will be from the Independents?

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I count 8 wins.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

stranger808 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:14 pm I count 8 wins.
8 here as well...

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

This past year we ran true freshmen and ran new schemes on offense and defense. We still won many tough games. While the game is unpredictable, I'd say we are a shoe-in for the Hawaii Bowl again. And, I'm cool with that. We've hosted some of the best bowl games in Hawaii.

Sure, the detractors will say beating Big Ben Rothlessberger was fluke. Oh...and...the Hawaii loss to Georgia 41 - 10 in the Sugar Bowl was a disgrace...and yet Clemson destroyed Alabama 44 - 16 in the National Championship game. No one would say Alabama was unworthy of a National Championship invitation. Who is worthy of a bowl game? Dang, we got beat by a Notre Dame team with Golden...Fricken...Tate. Hawaii sucks lets fire McMackin and give Utah State, Wisconsin, and LSU a MOST desired defensive coordinator in Dave Aranda.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I don't know. Like many have said, we could be better as a team next season...but not win as many games. Hawaii ranked in the 120s in SOS in 2018. That won't even be remotely close to being the case in 2019.

Hawaii was also relatively healthy in 2018 compared to most teams. Those things tend to swing the other way.

I would guess 7-8 wins, while also saying that I'd be more surprised to see 9+ wins than I would to see Hawaii take a step back next year, if that makes sense.

I'll also say this: it's essential that they beat at least one of the Pac-12 schools (Arizona and/or Oregon State the likely candidates). Emerging out of the early OOC play (Army is way late in the season) with only a win over Central Arkansas would make 7-8 wins tough.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

J-Rod wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:49 pm I don't know. Like many have said, we could be better as a team next season...but not win as many games. Hawaii ranked in the 120s in SOS in 2018. That won't even be remotely close to being the case in 2019.

Hawaii was also relatively healthy in 2018 compared to most teams. Those things tend to swing the other way.

I would guess 7-8 wins, while also saying that I'd be more surprised to see 9+ wins than I would to see Hawaii take a step back next year, if that makes sense.

I'll also say this: it's essential that they beat at least one of the Pac-12 schools (Arizona and/or Oregon State the likely candidates). Emerging out of the early OOC play (Army is way late in the season) with only a win over Central Arkansas would make 7-8 wins tough.
Sorry...looking at last year's schedule...it was pretty brutal. Sure, some teams we played ended up with disappointing losses. They also had some amazing wins. How did the SEC fare in bowl games this year? How was their strength of schedule? Would McKenzie Milton have made a difference this year? I think so. Pac-12 schools also sucked this past year. MEH!!!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I would be disappointed if we did not win 9 games. I expect our defense to be much better. Not so sure about our offense. We need to find some gems among our new recruits.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I look for 7, hopefully 8 wins.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

RedZone wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:37 pm I would be disappointed if we did not win 9 games. I expect our defense to be much better. Not so sure about our offense. We need to find some gems among our new recruits.
It's got to be 9 or more, otherwise = failed.

Experts will analyze that the losses were 7 or less points, or the Offense was producing 350+ yards every game, so therefore, improvement. Fans will only note W or L.

If I had to pick, I say 10 wins, if they brought back "everyone" with McDonald as starting QB, and Cordero as the (miracle back up QB). We all expect "everyone" to get better.

Kicking game got better, but it's a long way from the days of Harding and Rigoberto Sanchez. I think the kicking game has fallen from A to F+ have Sanchez, and I would rank it as D+ or C- at best (this past season).

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

9 or 10 wins? Be prepared to be fully disappointed.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:54 am 9 or 10 wins? Be prepared to be fully disappointed.
That's kinda the way I see it because Jeff Tedford always has a tough team and Boise is going to be tough in Boise. SDSU is unpredictable because they beat Boise in Boise. Then there are three Pac 12 teams that have four star recruits if not five. UNR looked pretty good even without the on-sides kicks early on that did not work and they usually play well in Reno, maybe even a homecoming game. Maybe I'm a pessimist but I hope for 7.