Nick Rolovich NOT a candidate for Utah State Job (edited)

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Nick Rolovich NOT a candidate for Utah State Job (edited)

Post by couz808 »

Saw on KITV that he was mentioned as the candidate for the Utah State Head coach position. Kind of a lateral move but I think Utah State has more money in the bank.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Nick Rolovich candidate for Utah State Job?

Post by poidog »

Rolo has no interest in that job. He didn't come here for the money.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

there is no money in hawaii that can match even lowly mountain west football salaries. rolo's number one long term priority is his family. four young children, their education and their welfare has to weigh heavy on rolo's mind. higher salary, lower cost of living and tomorrow is never guaranteed. the responsible thing for rolo to do is to consider any offer in the light of what it can do to improve his family situation now and in the future.

wells' base salary for 2017 was $850K with $4.5Million for the life of his 5 year contract.

rolo's base salary for 2017 was $400K with $2.1Million for the life of his 5 year contract.

if utah state seriously considers rolo for its coach, hawaii will be looking for a replacement. can't blame rolo if he walk$. i would.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

If you're a coach and you look at Utah State, it has to be a stepping stone to bigger and better unless you're an LDS'er or like Utah. Possibly moving to a more reputable school. His west coach humor would have to be toned down.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I don’t think there’s any real interest on Rolo’s side. If anything, this is a bargaining chip to try and get more money from UH on his next contract extension if he gets that far. Or at the very least get more support for athletics from Upper Campus and the state government like JJ tried to do.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

According to the SL Tribune, Wells wants to take the offense with him which includes Jordon Love who I thought was pretty accurate on the fades in the end zone. Hope we don't have to deal with him in the future.
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/11/3 ... ate-names/

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:05 am According to the SL Tribune, Wells wants to take the offense with him which includes Jordon Love who I thought was pretty accurate on the fades in the end zone. Hope we don't have to deal with him in the future.
He just means the coaching staff, not the players. Unless the players are willing to sit out.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:05 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:05 am According to the SL Tribune, Wells wants to take the offense with him which includes Jordon Love who I thought was pretty accurate on the fades in the end zone. Hope we don't have to deal with him in the future.
He just means the coaching staff, not the players. Unless the players are willing to sit out.
Yeah, you're right. Got too excited about Love leaving. I saw him in games before UH and knew that he was going to make the pass on the outside for a touchdown and he did on the second td.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Need a good salesperson out there who can sell an offensive coordinator who operates the run and shoot with the RPO, who can be made available to Utah State as their next head coach. Deserves the chance to step up. References provided upon request. No B.S. on this one.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

We need stability, coach Rolo has proven himself, extend his contract, now.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

As much as I want Rolo to stay, think he should stay, and think his heart is in Hawaii since he was a player here, Rolo is not leaving.

However, I don't think Rolo has proven himself as a HC. I have had no issue paying JJ whatever he wanted after the loss in Sugarbowl. (Mac got paid instead). Rolo need a few more winning seasons, when "his recruits" are all in place. We can see that happening.

So I would say, not now. But would consider paying him his value when the current contract is over. As Niumatalolo said, he wanted his son to learn character, etc from Rolo. Part of that is commitment (team, and family).

Coaching is a business, and he needed to get paid too. As Jones said, he had to leave Hawaii to get paid. He made his $$$$, so it was ok for him to work where ever he wants.

Rolo need his pay day. I just think not now.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Rolo knew what he was getting into here @ UH (low budget, aging stadium and an on again off again fan base) and he still choose to come here. He'll ride with us as long as the AD/upper campus are on board
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 am Rolo knew what he was getting into here @ UH (low budget, aging stadium and an on again off again fan base) and he still choose to come here. He'll ride with us as long as the AD/upper campus are on board
I agree.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:46 am Rolo knew what he was getting into here @ UH (low budget, aging stadium and an on again off again fan base) and he still choose to come here. He'll ride with us as long as the AD/upper campus are on board
Folks it is a business. What Rolo knew was that he was getting the opportunity to be a HC. The other stuff he knew about to get the job but those factors are also the factors that will eventually drive him to leave. Fans also took JJ for granted. If you don't win, if you don't get facilities, if it affects recruiting, if you can't HIRE and KEEP assistants and if you can't take care of your family your career as a HC is short lived. In my POV the only good news is that Rolo still hasn't proved himself and is not in demand, yet. Most programs do not want to depend on the R&S. His won record against quality teams is not there and his coaching decisions are suspect.

His pay should at a minimum reflect a MWC middle of the pack salary....at a minimum. Hawaii has never been proactive in this regard and that is one of the reasons we are not respected as a program in the football world and not considered for any major conferences. There is no financial commitment and just the perception that our program is in the red (and it is a reality) every year is a major black eye.

If and when Rolo becomes a wanted commodity he will leave.

The HC profession is short lived and if you don't win you are out of a job. You have to take what you can get. JJ loved Hawaii. McMackin loved Hawaii. Where are they today? Rolo loves Hawaii. Who turned on them? The fans did. They turned on McMackin and some even turned on JJ calling it greed.

I loved JJ while he was here. I understand why he left. Many unkept promises. I liked MasMackin a lot. There where injuries that affected his tenure and in my view he didn't get the time he needed to keep the R&S at UH. I would have given him one more year. The fans turned on him and we lost the R&S.

I'll enjoy and support Rolo as best as I can. I only wish him the best no matter if he stays or if he goes.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

stranger808 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:11 pm
I agree.
football isn't a charity. there isn't a job out there where you do much better than your peers, and are expected to continue with a bottom 5-10% salary ( http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ ) and stay there out of the 'kindness of your heart'. give him a bump/extension during the next renegotiation and change those bonuses to actual salary. if UH puts forth no effort and he goes somewhere else, good for him.