Cole or chevan as starter for Hawaii bowl!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Starter for next week and Hawaii bowl?

Cole Macdonald because he started the season for us
61%
Chevan cordeiro because he has the hot hand
29%
Jeremy Moussa because he has a better arm
4%
Other UH QB not mentioned.
7%

Total votes: 28

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Cole or chevan as starter for Hawaii bowl!

Post by Irse »

Start Cole but play all three, even if it for one series.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Irse wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 am Start Cole but play all three, even if it for one series.
True. But all the UH QBs are rather the same type of players.

Recall old school football where the QB was actually a Back? And QB Sweep was a legit power play.

I think UH should get a "QB" like Joey Iosefa. Will he run, pass, or be beast-mode blocker?

What's old should be new now.

Irse

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:33 am
Irse wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 am Start Cole but play all three, even if it for one series.
True. But all the UH QBs are rather the same type of players.

Recall old school football where the QB was actually a Back? And QB Sweep was a legit power play.

I think UH should get a "QB" like Joey Iosefa. Will he run, pass, or be beast-mode blocker?

What's old should be new now.
Moreso to just get some experience in a bowl game. Not so much that they offer something different.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

The Hawaii Bowl is about developing a winning persona. As a coach you have to walk the talk. If you want the players to give it all you have to do the same. This isn’t about getting someone playing time, finding out what someone can do or appeasing any one player. It is about putting your best 22 on the field to beat the team you are playing. If players sense that you are doing anything short of that you lose the team as a coach.

If you want your players to be fighters, accountable, disciplined, team players, make sacrifices for the team, never give-up and have a winning attitude you have to lead.

This game has very serious implificatioms for 2019 and recruiting. Winning a comeback UNLV game, a big game as 18 pt underdogs on the road at SDSU and beating a team with a winning record in the Hawaii Bowl would be a momentum builder into the off season and a launching pad for the 2019 season.

I don’t care who starts I want to see the best 22 on the field, a solid game plan, play calling that will put our players in position to be successful and coaching decisions that give these players and seniors an opportunity to win the game.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Well said Duke.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Cole.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

TheDuke wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:11 pm The Hawaii Bowl is about developing a winning persona. As a coach you have to walk the talk. If you want the players to give it all you have to do the same. This isn’t about getting someone playing time, finding out what someone can do or appeasing any one player. It is about putting your best 22 on the field to beat the team you are playing. If players sense that you are doing anything short of that you lose the team as a coach.

If you want your players to be fighters, accountable, disciplined, team players, make sacrifices for the team, never give-up and have a winning attitude you have to lead.

This game has very serious implificatioms for 2019 and recruiting. Winning a comeback UNLV game, a big game as 18 pt underdogs on the road at SDSU and beating a team with a winning record in the Hawaii Bowl would be a momentum builder into the off season and a launching pad for the 2019 season.

I don’t care who starts I want to see the best 22 on the field, a solid game plan, play calling that will put our players in position to be successful and coaching decisions that give these players and seniors an opportunity to win the game.
I also see this game as a reward for the players who have worked so hard to get there. The coaches have more than enough video footage to know who should start and play. For the players it should be a fun experience with the knowledge that there is still a game to be won. For the coaches I hope they feel the need to win this game. If they do it will help them when they go out on the recruiting trail.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

I thought Rolo did an excellent job of preparing the team for the 2016 Hawaii Bowl and I am expecting a similar result.

Irse

Post by Irse »

RedZone wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:16 pm
TheDuke wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:11 pm The Hawaii Bowl is about developing a winning persona. As a coach you have to walk the talk. If you want the players to give it all you have to do the same. This isn’t about getting someone playing time, finding out what someone can do or appeasing any one player. It is about putting your best 22 on the field to beat the team you are playing. If players sense that you are doing anything short of that you lose the team as a coach.

I also see this game as a reward for the players who have worked so hard to get there. The coaches have more than enough video footage to know who should start and play. For the players it should be a fun experience with the knowledge that there is still a game to be won. For the coaches I hope they feel the need to win this game. If they do it will help them when they go out on the recruiting trail.
That's how I looked at it. JJ always looked at the bowl game as a way to get more practice time for the younger guys.
ImageImage

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

was on a team, good team, good workers, in a dangerous profession. when one went down with an injury, it was next body up. when the injured rehabbed and was cleared to return, they regained their slot. you don't keep a person from positions they've earned and worked for just because they were sidelined with an injury. yes, the injured are off the roll while they heal. but, once they do the work to rehab and get clearance, they are back in the position they left.

with bookend conference wins on the road and an 8-5 regular season record with cole at qb, cole deserves the start. he rehabbed and cleared for play. if hawaii gets a bowl game, cole should start.

next year, which was the year we all were dreaming of at the beginning of this season, is up for grabs as all positions are open for competition.

shokee
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by shokee »

In other news..

Dru Brown says he wants to come back...

Says that the grass was not greener on the other side, and that he has slivers from sitting on the bench.. LOL! :lol:

Just kidding folks!! He is NOT coming back..

GO WARRIORS!! :evil:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Watching the Nick Rolo show yesterday, it was mentioned that McDonald passed Rolo on a school record/stat. Consider the off games, I'm a bit surprised Cole is doing that well. I thought the highs were high and the lows were low. So the end result would be average.

So if McDonald (offense) was consistant, it would not feel "wrong" to bring up the thread about being on pace for GOAT.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Leading isn't just on the field. Cole help build the team chemistry during the off season. He welcomed, workout and roomed with the new guys. We were not highly thought of by all accounts in the football world.

Winning at Colorado State was a very big deal. Went to the game and never expected that to happen. A HUGH win on the road at altitude. Beat Navy, another big win. A comeback wing at San Jose State in 5 OTs, woo hoo. If we didn't win those three games we could have very well had a 2-11 or 4-9 season. How many seasons have we had with big wins on the road? All led by who? The Colorado State and Navy game set the tone for 2018.

Cole deserves to start and WIN the Hawaii Bowl. If he falters for the right reasons then pull him.

Did Cole's injury have an affect in his play? I don't know. I know the 8 deep did. That is on the coaches. They didn't do much with game planning and play calling since Army. We know that much of the success the last couple of games and the Wyoming game has been more about Jo Jo Ward then anyone else. He made plays. He is a play maker.

We will see 8 deep. Will we see a game plan to counter 8 deep?

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

TheDuke wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:39 am We will see 8 deep. Will we see a game plan to counter 8 deep?
how about something weird like sweep right while handing the ball off to the left guard or tackle to run left?

better, we will have furuta back as a proud new dad to hit the gaps and take shovel passes.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

st808 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:21 am

better, we will have furuta back as a proud new dad to hit the gaps and take shovel passes.
I'm not sure how much Beast Mode he can muster up with 2-3 hours of sleep.