Post Nevada Game Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Post Nevada Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

Is it just me or this has an eerie familiar feel?

I remember QB Dru Brown was using his playmaking ability by using feet to extend plays when things broke down. Keeping defenses honest. Then last season we wondered what happened to his playmaking ability as it seemed he was restricted to being a pocket passer by the coaches. Rush 3 drop 8 with a spy that knows the QB is being told by the coaches not to take off running and sit in the pocket even when there is open green field right in front of him. Not exactly keeping the defenses Honest.

Now Cole McDonald is the QB and we saw him making plays with his feet early in the season and once again we wondering what happened to his playmaking ability as it seems he was restricted to being a pocket passer by the coaches. History repeating itself?

I mean seriously, nobody wants QB’s to take a high number of hits like UCF 5’11” 180lbs QB McKenzie Milton and lead the team with his playmaking abilities to possibly 2 undefeated seasons? Do we?

Go Warriors!

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

One of the TV guys (I forget which one) said the players came out for the game flat, not hyped up and stuff, no jumping up and down, no yelling, screaming, just flat. I forget the exact words. Anyone else at the game notice that?
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Grinch wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:22 pm like a Noga, Nate Jackson, Pisa, or Laboy.
Anyone know what the "next gen" Nogas are doing? I thought football is in their DNA. Their kids should be 20 something (or more) by now. It's like the family name disappeared from football. Or did I missed it, or not in Hawaii.

Like now, when you see the last name Kafentzis, you know they are related to UH's history.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

stranger808 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:10 am One of the TV guys (I forget which one) said the players came out for the game flat, not hyped up and stuff, no jumping up and down, no yelling, screaming, just flat. I forget the exact words. Anyone else at the game notice that?
This is what I got out of the beginning of the game.
UH decided to gave a moment of silence to honor former Nevada player Marc Ma, who drowned 2 years ago.

This got the crowd in a somber mood, thus you could feel the lack of energy even when players ran into the field.

But this fired up the Nevada team who dedicated the game to him.

That's just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

i feel like without Tavai, we have no shot at being competitive going forward. I hope someone proves me wrong.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

WarriorTyme wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:42 pm Is it just me or this has an eerie familiar feel?

I remember QB Dru Brown was using his playmaking ability by using feet to extend plays when things broke down. Keeping defenses honest. Then last season we wondered what happened to his playmaking ability as it seemed he was restricted to being a pocket passer by the coaches. Rush 3 drop 8 with a spy that knows the QB is being told by the coaches not to take off running and sit in the pocket even when there is open green field right in front of him. Not exactly keeping the defenses Honest.

Now Cole McDonald is the QB and we saw him making plays with his feet early in the season and once again we wondering what happened to his playmaking ability as it seems he was restricted to being a pocket passer by the coaches. History repeating itself?

I mean seriously, nobody wants QB’s to take a high number of hits like UCF 5’11” 180lbs QB McKenzie Milton and lead the team with his playmaking abilities to possibly 2 undefeated seasons? Do we?

Go Warriors!
I got that too. Kinda makes me wonder. I’ve been saying if Cole runs we have a chance.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am
WarriorTyme wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:42 pm Is it just me or this has an eerie familiar feel?

Go Warriors!
I got that too. Kinda makes me wonder. I’ve been saying if Cole runs we have a chance.
we saw similar things from past r&s qb's, if i remember correctly. 2005 Colt Brennan ran a lot, but stayed in the pocket more towards the end of the season as he "got it" with the offense. the rest is history as 2006 was the greatest season by a qb I have ever seen. 2009 Bryant Moniz was dangerous with his feet, and he did some of this in 2010 but as he "got it" he did run less. 2010 was a great season for the offense, but in 2011 they struggled a little bit and it reminds me of what we are seeing now. So what are we going to get from Cole McDonald in 2019? 2006 Colt, 2010 Moniz, or 2011 Moniz?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

poidog wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:18 am i feel like without Tavai, we have no shot at being competitive going forward. I hope someone proves me wrong.
Tavai is important. But more important is Cole and receivers getting back in sync. If we get the big offensive numbers, we will be in every game.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

poidog wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Go Warriors!
we saw similar things from past r&s qb's, if i remember correctly. 2005 Colt Brennan ran a lot, but stayed in the pocket more towards the end of the season as he "got it" with the offense. the rest is history as 2006 was the greatest season by a qb I have ever seen. 2009 Bryant Moniz was dangerous with his feet, and he did some of this in 2010 but as he "got it" he did run less. 2010 was a great season for the offense, but in 2011 they struggled a little bit and it reminds me of what we are seeing now. So what are we going to get from Cole McDonald in 2019? 2006 Colt, 2010 Moniz, or 2011 Moniz?
That's interesting, true now that I think about it. Brown was great in the beginning. Then went downhill. Moniz was awesome, then seem to be less effective. I didn't see Colt B that much unless it was on national TV (cause stay mainland).

McDonald did some angry runs after being benched and came out mad (much better). Maybe McDonald "got it" fast, and quickly moved on to the next stage of not running.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UnBiasFan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:37 am
poidog wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:18 am i feel like without Tavai, we have no shot at being competitive going forward. I hope someone proves me wrong.
Tavai is important. But more important is Cole and receivers getting back in sync. If we get the big offensive numbers, we will be in every game.

We voiced our concerns about the defense, sometimes maybe can not help. But we know what the offensive can do, and they have not done it in the last few games. A few big plays add the yards, but the mis-sync communications was worst than the Chow era.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

cabanalane wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:52 am

That's interesting, true now that I think about it. Brown was great in the beginning. Then went downhill. Moniz was awesome, then seem to be less effective. I didn't see Colt B that much unless it was on national TV (cause stay mainland).

McDonald did some angry runs after being benched and came out mad (much better). Maybe McDonald "got it" fast, and quickly moved on to the next stage of not running.
I also remember Colt Brennan taking off running when things broke down or scrabbled to extend plays (QB Moxie) in all his years playing. I think that huge hit Colt took in the 2007 Fresno State Game at Aloha Stadium put a huge scare on all of Hawaii. Also remember Bryant Moniz doing similar QB Moxie, but I also remember Moniz taking a huge hit to his ankle on a long run just before he could score on a TD. And after 2 seasons Mckenzie Milton has been playing nicked up from running and scrambling.

However, I haven't seen Cole (QB Moxie) do this since San Jose State Game with those 2 scrambles then pitch it forward (1 for a TD and 1 for a 2-point conversion) just to name a few plays. Since Cole McDonald had sat out the Wyoming game, I figured he must still be a little nicked up as well. And the coaches might be trying to keep him from getting hit, which as we seen at both BYU and Nevada that he is still taking many hits in the pocket.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Good point. Didn't both Moniz and Colt B talked to Cole before the season to share their advise?

Perhaps that's what they told him. Stay healthy. Don't take the risk. Now thinking about, didn't Colt B showed up at whatever pro camp with a injury? And Moniz was hurt half of his last Senior season?

If Cole is to have a future in the NFL, got to keep the body stright too.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

WarriorTyme wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:06 am
cabanalane wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:52 am

I also remember Colt Brennan taking off running when things broke down or scrabbled to extend plays (QB Moxie) in all his years playing. I think that huge hit Colt took in the 2007 Fresno State Game at Aloha Stadium put a huge scare on all of Hawaii. Also remember Bryant Moniz doing similar QB Moxie, but I also remember Moniz taking a huge hit to his ankle on a long run just before he could score on a TD. And after 2 seasons Mckenzie Milton has been playing nicked up from running and scrambling.

However, I haven't seen Cole (QB Moxie) do this since San Jose State Game with those 2 scrambles then pitch it forward (1 for a TD and 1 for a 2-point conversion) just to name a few plays. Since Cole McDonald had sat out the Wyoming game, I figured he must still be a little nicked up as well. And the coaches might be trying to keep him from getting hit, which as we seen at both BYU and Nevada that he is still taking many hits in the pocket.
According to Philippe Ohasko (?), the side lines announcer on radio, Stutzman was telling McDonald to run when he saw the opening. I suspect that's probably what Rolo told him toward the end of the game which is why he did. My guess is that he is trying to prep for the pros going through his progressions and the NFL running quarterbacks don't make it. For Hawaii, they need to keep the defenses honest by having a good running quarterback. Even in the pros they need to have quarterbacks run when the defense has the receivers covered.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

I missed the game while sitting on a beach staring at the blue sea. ;-p

A few stats stick out for me:

3rd down conversions: 3/15
4th down conversions: 1/5
Penalty yards: 7 for 73 yards

We won the turnover battle: 5 fumbles with 3 lost for Nevada. Hawaii had one fumble and recovered it. How do you who watched the game assess Cole's poor pass completion percentage?

The highlights by UH showed a pretty awesome offense...at least on the few scoring plays. I'm troubled by the loss of Fred Holly who I thought did a pretty good job of rushing. He only got one carry.

With many new faces coaching and new players starting it's hard to say that we're under-performing. In fact, I haven't been this pleased with the team in 8 years.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

SundayJam wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:28 pm I missed the game while sitting on a beach staring at the blue sea. ;-p

A few stats stick out for me:

3rd down conversions: 3/15
4th down conversions: 1/5
Penalty yards: 7 for 73 yards

We won the turnover battle: 5 fumbles with 3 lost for Nevada. Hawaii had one fumble and recovered it. How do you who watched the game assess Cole's poor pass completion percentage?

The highlights by UH showed a pretty awesome offense...at least on the few scoring plays. I'm troubled by the loss of Fred Holly who I thought did a pretty good job of rushing. He only got one carry.

With many new faces coaching and new players starting it's hard to say that we're under-performing. In fact, I haven't been this pleased with the team in 8 years.
I’m thinking we started off hot and Cole was making quick decisions, during the downfall he’s been holding the ball a lot longer and does not look comfortable in his decision making.

My question is were we running less R&S shoot plays in the begging which made Cole look really good as each WR runs 1 route allowing him to know where each WR would be? and during this slump we were implementing more R&S routs which each receivers would have option routs depending on coverage, and now we are seeing the struggle of Cole and company being on the same page?