Redzone: Kicking FGs or Going for it on 4th

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Redzone: Kicking FGs or Going for it on 4th

Post by BigWave96744 »

Now that we are in the 2nd half of the season, where every game may be won or lost on the final drive, how do you feel about Kicking FGs vs Going for it on 4th down, when in the red zone?

Against Wyoming I would have liked to see points on the board, especially being Chevan's first career drive.

Yes we are 75% (12-16) on 4th downs, but are also 38% on converting 3rd downs (31-81).

Meskell ha's made 8-10 FGs and 31-32 PATs, so he's pretty reliable.

What's your thought, and please don't day trust the coach. :)

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Redzone: Kicking FGs or Going for it on 4th

Post by dakineguy »

I don't know exactly but it depends on the game situation and expectations based on how the team is playing. If you kick a field goal you may wish you had gone for more points by the end of the game. If you go for it and fail then it will look like you don't know what you're doing but if you succeed it's just another play. I would say sometimes you need to go for it and I am glad I don't have to make that choice. I guess in that instance even Rolo says that was a mistake.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

The right answer would be "depends on the game situation." I like to see UH be a bit more conservative going forward. Going for it on 4th down is exciting, but I think it's a big risk.

We seen Furuta go into beast mode. But we also should not forget when he was stopped at the line. The same with the short pass. There were dropped balls or was it bad pass too.

I just want to see them win, exciting or not. Take the 3. Re-group with a new plan if the situation allows. The last two games proved that UH can win on defense. So just trust them to do their job. No need for the offensive to take the risk that may also cause them the game.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

It depends.

Rolo said that he should have gone for the FG. I was hoping for the FG.
I thought they should have run on third down instead of pass. That would have given Furuta two downs to make the one yards. I was hoping they would go under center at times and do a QB sneak.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Normally with the R&S its a win if you score more than the other team. Who would have known that the defense would show up like they did. Early in the game I like the call to go for it. I don't like the wildcat call especially with the Wyoming defense, I would have chosen a roll out pass or run with Furuta with the play action.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Hindsight is always 20/20. It depends and there should not be any hard and fast rule.

In retrospect Rolo said he should have gone for the FG. But what was his thought process during the game? My guess is that it was in the first quarter and he felt Wyoming's offense wasn't going to put up much points. So try to get ahead and get them out of their conservative game plan. If we got up 7-3 and then put up another score, I think Wyoming would have had to pass the ball more and they weren't very good at it. Unfortunately it became a low scoring, one possession game and which brings up the second guessing.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Rolo has shown that he can be a riverboat gambler at times. All depends on the situation, score at the time, ball placement, etc., but sometimes putting points on the board is the most reasonable thing to do in a tight game.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away and know when to run
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealing's done
LOL

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

As mentioned, I'm looking more at the next 6 games where we may be underdogs 5 of the 6 games. Falling behind in any of these games may be a deep hole to crawl out of.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

im of the opinion that these are largely calculated gambles. they're all either SHORT 4th downs, inside the 10 yard line, or around the 35.

a 35 yard line FG try is gonna be 50ish yards. but punting may only net you 10 yards of field position. it makes sense to go for it if your kicker doesnt have a huge leg (meskell doesnt)

short 4th downs, im ok with the gamble, tbh.

inside the ten, you're playing great field positions games there. its risky, but i understand it.

i dont see this as rolo just winging it. I think these are calculated risks.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

probably should have kicked that one, but the rest of his fourth down tries look like good decisions.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I wanted them to kick it. I knew that Wyomings defense would be tough to score on. I thought from the beginning that it could come down to a kick.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

If it was norm chow, he would kick the field goal because he was conservative but nick rolovich is the opposite. If it’s 4 and 1 or 2, I would go for it. If it’s more than that than take the points.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:59 pm As mentioned, I'm looking more at the next 6 games where we may be underdogs 5 of the 6 games. Falling behind in any of these games may be a deep hole to crawl out of.
I see this more of a balance. Offense put up even if it's 3 points. So UH got the lead. That's a good feeling. Now, the pressure is on the Defense to step up and do their jobs. And win the game on defense. Small leads makes the game a battle. Keep the pressure on for everyone.

I would not want the team to think the Offense will pull the rabbit out of the hat each time, even if they can with the R&S.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

couz808 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:59 am If it was norm chow, he would kick the field goal because he was conservative but nick rolovich is the opposite. If it’s 4 and 1 or 2, I would go for it. If it’s more than that than take the points.
Yup. Chow would have kicked the field goal. And even with a 3 point deficit he would still play conservative. From the first quarter. Until he got desperate enough to start throwing the ball but by then it was usually too late.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.