Post Army Game Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post Army Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

Tough Loss today but I got to give it to Army they game planned for Rolo RPO/RnS well.

With the offense not able to move the ball, the defense played their heart out today to keep Hawaii in the game and not give up. The score should not have been this close with Army dominating this game at West Point, NY.

This team is young like the 2005 Warrior team that had a young Colt Brennan or 2009 Warrior team with Bryant Moniz. And this team uniforms looks just as good as those Hawaii Warrior teams and they have a 3-1 winning record swag.

I’m not going to overreact to this hard fought loss to Army. This young team has played with swag, speed, toughness, grit and heart. They are going to take some lumps and growing pains this season. However, just like in real life it’s not how you fall, it’s how you pick yourself up.

Work Grind/Earn Respect

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Play Swag/Go Warriors!

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Re: Post Army Game Thoughts?

Post by stranger808 »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 am Tough Loss today but I got to give it to Army they game planned for Rolo RPO/RnS well.

With the offense not able to move the ball, the defense played their heart out today to keep Hawaii in the game and not give up. The score should not have been this close with Army dominating this game at West Point, NY.

This team is young like the 2005 Warrior team that had a young Colt Brennan or 2009 Warrior team with Bryant Moniz. And this team uniforms looks just as good as those Hawaii Warrior teams and they have a 3-1 winning record swag.

I’m not going to overreact to this hard fought loss to Army. This young team has played with swag, speed, toughness, grit and heart. They are going to take some lumps and growing pains this season. However, just like in real life it’s not how you fall, it’s how you pick yourself up.

Work Grind/Earn Respect

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Play Swag/Go Warriors!
nicely said. Agree 100%

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Army was definitely better prepared with their game plan and execution. Hats off to the Black Knights.

Rolo, Smith and Stutz really need to up their game and figure out a way to beat the 3 down lineman, drop 8 into coverage scheme that Rice and Army came up with because you know that future opponents know what to do. Thank our lucky stars that we don't play Air Force this year.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Congratulations to Army. They’re a tough, well coached team.
It was definitely a winnable game but still - nice job by army. I feel sorry for the Warriors next two opponents. Lol
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Maybe Rolo should try punting the ball on 4th and 5 when we have control of the game?

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

Since the beginning of the season I was afraid that the other teams will figure out Hawaii’s run and shoot offense. It’s a simple offense which is why teams in college football and the NFL stop using it. The philosophy and routes are way easier to decipher than the spread and other passing offenses. Army had three games to decipher and look at Hawaii’s new offense. The other Mountain West teams are doing the same. I believe that this is still a great team. Cole McDonald is a solid quarterback. But I highly doubt that we will be blowing away teams by huge scores.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

The run and shoot still has a future and a chance to be explosive during the remainder of the season, but because opponents can figure it out is why the RPO and run option are so important to this offense. Unfortunately, Hawaii didn't run any of these effectively, if they tried it at all. Except for a few explosive run and shoot plays that got away from them, Army stuffed Hawaii.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

JJ always had problems with RnS on the road. Even during Colt’s big year we barely beat SJSU.

I am not surprised by the loss. We were road dogs.

We are going to kick azz at home this year. And we have a shot at BYU on the road to push us into the rankings.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Our offense is fine. It's our run defense that's at issue. We had a scoring opportunity at the end of the game. This was a winnable game and we came up short. Army's a good team and we were competitive.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Tough loss to a very good team. Hopefully our team can learn and grow from this loss and propel us to wins in our next three games.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:58 am Army was definitely better prepared with their game plan and execution. Hats off to the Black Knights.

Rolo, Smith and Stutz really need to up their game and figure out a way to beat the 3 down lineman, drop 8 into coverage scheme that Rice and Army came up with because you know that future opponents know what to do. Thank our lucky stars that we don't play Air Force this year.
Army had the same coverage against Liberty, their last opponent. The 5 defensive backs across the middle seem to cause UH some problems since it prevents crossing patterns across the middle. Army had one defensive back that was really good that hit some of the speed receivers at the line. UH was also not prepared for the delayed blitz which seems like its going to happen again if Cole is taking longer than 4 seconds.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

Post game thoughts.....tackling, read and reacting sucked on defense. And too many drops on offense.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

post game comments by Army. Army coach has a lot of class. Right about the 9:50 mark, the Army coach talks about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeHCOYuh7Gg

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

stranger808 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:27 pm post game comments by Army. Army coach has a lot of class. Right about the 9:50 mark, the Army coach talks about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeHCOYuh7Gg
Yup, heard a interview from him on the Bobby Curran show 1420, he had nothing but praise about UH and the culture of Hawaii. Hate to say this but, I wasn't too upset seeing UH lose to him, really good guy.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

hawaii's scoring on first possessions: impressive.
not giving up when falling behind: inspiring.
uncharacteristic drops in this game as well as expanding cone of uncertainty on cole's passes: concerning.
this is tackle football: right?
know where the sidelines are and stop selfish personal foul contact: disturbing.

lots of young players in starting roles, yet, this year is the new next year.

felt rolo would go for two if hawaii scored on their last play.

3-1 opening of this season exceeds expectations. 7-2 or 8-1 finish to end the season is doable and would be okay. a 9-0 run to december, however, would validate hawaii's run and stun.