Post Army Game Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Post Army Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

We have to remember that this Hawaii Warrior Football team has played tough, fast and with swag. But it's still a young team in both lack of senior game experience leadership and learning the new coaches implementing new Offense, Defense and Special Teams. They have exceeded my expectations so far this season.

Great the use of the timeouts to freeze the Army kicker and great job on that block FG kick! BYU head coach must have watched the Hawaii game because did the same thing to Wisconsin the kicker and got the huge upset win over #6 Wisconsin on the road. But I do agree that with BYU head coach saying that to play against the P5 schools you need to recruit and train to achieve bigger stronger athletic lineman on both sides of the ball. Boise State offense line got demolished yesterday against Oklahoma State, it reminded me of Hawaii vs Georgia Sugar bowl.

It’s FCS Duquesne (Do-Cane) Duke Football team turn to travel from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Honolulu Hawaii.
Duquesne has 3-1 record and since taking an 63-15 beating on the road at FBS UMass in there first game in Week 0, Duquesne has been on a 3 game winning streak against FCS opponents.

While Duquesne is a FCS team and Hawaii should be able to beat them handily at Aloha Stadium.

The Hawaii Warriors need to use that Army game loss as fuel to stay hungry and not take the Duquesne game off and have an embarrassing performance at Aloha Stadium.

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

Totally agree. Give Army a lot of credit, they played EXACTLY how anyone who has to play against the U.H. R&S offense should play if they want to win. The first series was the wake up call for Army... and they needed to adjust to the speed of the U.H. offense. After that they dropped 8 more effectively and really put the U.H. O-line to the test. Biggest thing: Don't fall behind... they saw what happened to Colo.St., Navy, and Rice. Hog the clock. What Rolo and the team needs to do now is adjust to the fact that EVERYONE they have to face will take what Army did to heart ~ They have to get more disruptive on defense and force more three & outs, take more risks and possibly giving up the bigger longer gains for a chance to throw the other team back three yards or so (give Army credit for having a great passing game ~ it saved their bacon more than a few times). They also have to get a bit more creative at spreading the defenses out more, and taking the passing game away. The next few games will make or break this season.
WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 am Tough Loss today but I got to give it to Army they game planned for Rolo RPO/RnS well.

With the offense not able to move the ball, the defense played their heart out today to keep Hawaii in the game and not give up. The score should not have been this close with Army dominating this game at West Point, NY.

This team is young like the 2005 Warrior team that had a young Colt Brennan or 2009 Warrior team with Bryant Moniz. And this team uniforms looks just as good as those Hawaii Warrior teams and they have a 3-1 winning record swag.

I’m not going to overreact to this hard fought loss to Army. This young team has played with swag, speed, toughness, grit and heart. They are going to take some lumps and growing pains this season. However, just like in real life it’s not how you fall, it’s how you pick yourself up.

Work Grind/Earn Respect

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Play Swag/Go Warriors!

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

Not in total agreement... but where I do agree heartily is in regards to the number of very young players starting ~ considering that circumstance, they are doing incredibly well. Playing like seasoned pros even when thing were going against them in inspiring. If they can stay healthy, they all can only get much much better. I'm optimistic. I also agree that Rolo is a Riverboat gambler at heart, and would definitely had gone for two (all or nothing); going into OT against Army at that point would of had greater risks.

Hawaii scoring on their first possessions has been impressive... but what I noted was that the opposing teams needed a bit of time to catch up to the overall speed of execution that the R&S imposes. It's an offense that is does have a bit of shock & awe on secondary players. Not to mention three of the four U.H. WRs are lightning quick. UH will have to adjust for the fact that all teams they face from here on out will employ physical delay moves to disrupt the patterns.

I don't expect U.H. to do well in Provo... The "Y" has far better athletes with talent compared to Army, at home, in altitude. They will GRIND it out (and probably score) each time they get the ball, and try to keep U.H.'s offense on the sidelines. Best hope is for the Y to get sloppy early, and allow U.H. to run up the score enough to keep them at bay. I don't think that will be the case... they will be ready.
st808 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:34 am hawaii's scoring on first possessions: impressive.
not giving up when falling behind: inspiring.
uncharacteristic drops in this game as well as expanding cone of uncertainty on cole's passes: concerning.
this is tackle football: right?
know where the sidelines are and stop selfish personal foul contact: disturbing.

lots of young players in starting roles, yet, this year is the new next year.

felt rolo would go for two if hawaii scored on their last play.

3-1 opening of this season exceeds expectations. 7-2 or 8-1 finish to end the season is doable and would be okay. a 9-0 run to december, however, would validate hawaii's run and stun.

Raudi
Starter
Starter

Post by Raudi »

I called mayflower and sent them to rolo's house already

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I thought it was a good game. There were mistakes on both sides. At the end, UH had chance. You could not ask for more (other than a W). Honestly, it was a good Loose, if you know what I mean. No shame. They played well, made some mistakes, and were challenged. I think it was a "better" game than 59-14 kind of win. There isn't much take-away from that kind of blow out. For this game, there's a lot of film to watch.

P.S. Glad to see Furuta back, and not in the dog house because of last week. P.S. Where was Choi later in the half? He did play, was he hurt, tired, or got benched? Choi, I heard/read is the 3rd strongest guy on the team behind Hensley. I forget his name who (Poly player on Defense) is the "strongest."

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

It was in the 4th quarter. UH had a quick strike and back in the game. One play.

The defense just sat down. Didn't even get a drink of water, and Batoon hasn't even finish yelling at the guys yet. Then that had to go back on the field.

R&S can score that fast, and that's good. This is not related to the Army game, more so about the boos when UH run the ball. Army game proved that ball control is important. Army did not win the first quarter, but they won toward the end.

UH defense need a rest too, regroup, and see what they are not doing right. To go right back on the field, on a positive note (a score) is good, but the body is human, and need a chance to rest.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

cabanalane wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:37 pm I thought it was a good game. There were mistakes on both sides. At the end, UH had chance. You could not ask for more (other than a W). Honestly, it was a good Loose, if you know what I mean. No shame. They played well, made some mistakes, and were challenged. I think it was a "better" game than 59-14 kind of win. There isn't much take-away from that kind of blow out. For this game, there's a lot of film to watch.

P.S. Glad to see Furuta back, and not in the dog house because of last week. P.S. Where was Choi later in the half? He did play, was he hurt, tired, or got benched? Choi, I heard/read is the 3rd strongest guy on the team behind Hensley. I forget his name who (Poly player on Defense) is the "strongest."
I kind of agree that it was a good loss... the most disappointing thing is that we could have won and we didn't. Other than that, it was a good game between evenly-matched teams and one team made more plays than the other. I hope that the 1st team can put Duquense away early so that the 1's on defense can get some rest before heading to SJSU.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I thought the Coaching staff got a little too cute with their personnel. Starting Stubblefield over JoJo Ward, and Playing Furuta way more than Holly. Start the players that got you there (3-0). I heard the coaches started Stubblefield because of his size over Ward. I would have gone with speed against Army. No way Army could have covered 3 really fast Slots, wide outs and RB. This was a D dropping 8 in coverage, you need your best runner to run/catch out of the backfield, IMO. Furuta's a nice power back, but not the runner that Holly or even Reed is. Play your best players, not one because he's 6' 2" and 200lbs, that's just ridiculous. I can see a 6'2" WR coming in for spot duty for a jump ball, but if Ward is a better WR, play him!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

stranger808 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 pm I thought the Coaching staff got a little too cute with their personnel. Starting Stubblefield over JoJo Ward, and Playing Furuta way more than Holly. Start the players that got you there (3-0). I heard the coaches started Stubblefield because of his size over Ward. I would have gone with speed against Army. No way Army could have covered 3 really fast Slots, wide outs and RB. This was a D dropping 8 in coverage, you need your best runner to run/catch out of the backfield, IMO. Furuta's a nice power back, but not the runner that Holly or even Reed is. Play your best players, not one because he's 6' 2" and 200lbs, that's just ridiculous. I can see a 6'2" WR coming in for spot duty for a jump ball, but if Ward is a better WR, play him!
Holly had two carries for one yard. Furuta had three carries for 21 yards. McDonald had three designed runs but had three sacks. UH didn't have much going in the run game at all. I agree that Ward should have been in there at the start, and should have had more down field shots with his speed against Army's coverage. No question that everyone is focusing on the slots so one on one coverage to the wideouts should be more productive.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

My3Cats wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 am
stranger808 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 pm I thought the Coaching staff got a little too cute with their personnel. Starting Stubblefield over JoJo Ward, and Playing Furuta way more than Holly. Start the players that got you there (3-0). I heard the coaches started Stubblefield because of his size over Ward. I would have gone with speed against Army. No way Army could have covered 3 really fast Slots, wide outs and RB. This was a D dropping 8 in coverage, you need your best runner to run/catch out of the backfield, IMO. Furuta's a nice power back, but not the runner that Holly or even Reed is. Play your best players, not one because he's 6' 2" and 200lbs, that's just ridiculous. I can see a 6'2" WR coming in for spot duty for a jump ball, but if Ward is a better WR, play him!
Holly had two carries for one yard. Furuta had three carries for 21 yards. McDonald had three designed runs but had three sacks. UH didn't have much going in the run game at all. I agree that Ward should have been in there at the start, and should have had more down field shots with his speed against Army's coverage. No question that everyone is focusing on the slots so one on one coverage to the wideouts should be more productive.
Wasn't it mentioned in a previous post that Holly missed a block and that helped in one sack? I think it was Brian Smith that said at the beginning of the season that fumbles and missed blocks were unforgivable in the run and shoot for the running backs? I think that was why Furuta didn't get to play much the last two games because of his fumble. In all fareness, Marcus is in there to provide a little bit of height at the receiver position and it was interesting to see Stubblefield out there. It's kind of obvious after his time in there that his hands and timing is not quite the same as Ursua, Byrd and Ward.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I was a bit surprise to see Stubblefield too. Yes, the new guys are "better" but it's good to see him getting a chance.

This is the "first" year of the R&S. I know... the next gen of UH WRs are going to be big and fast like Greg Salas.

If UH can keep up this pace, there's going to be plenty of mainland kids wanted to play WR for Hawaii too. If WR can get the yards and the stats, there's better chance to turn pro.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Was Salas fast? I thought he was a good possession receiver. He caught everything thrown to him. I liked Ashley Lelie with the speed and height combination.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:34 pm
My3Cats wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 am
Wasn't it mentioned in a previous post that Holly missed a block and that helped in one sack? I think it was Brian Smith that said at the beginning of the season that fumbles and missed blocks were unforgivable in the run and shoot for the running backs? I think that was why Furuta didn't get to play much the last two games because of his fumble. In all fareness, Marcus is in there to provide a little bit of height at the receiver position and it was interesting to see Stubblefield out there. It's kind of obvious after his time in there that his hands and timing is not quite the same as Ursua, Byrd and Ward.
Yup (Holly missing a block). Watched it again on DVR and the DE easily slipped past Manning on the left side. Holly had gone over there to help but basically did an ole (without a cape) and the DE zoomed right past and sacked Cole from the backside. At least Holly touched the DE, unlike Paul Harris who basically stepped aside from oncoming rushers. Holly did get to play in the second half but only had a couple of touches, one being a shovel pass.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:10 pm Was Salas fast? I thought he was a good possession receiver. He caught everything thrown to him. I liked Ashley Lelie with the speed and height combination.
You are right, Salas wasn't that fast and seem to be able to catch everything thrown his way.

Unga reminds me of Salas, when Unga was on point. And that is WHEN. I guess it's just nice to have a tall receiver. Yes, I know Unga was TE.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:10 pm Was Salas fast? I thought he was a good possession receiver. He caught everything thrown to him. I liked Ashley Lelie with the speed and height combination.
If I remember correctly, Salas ran a 4.53 40 at the combine.