Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Post Rice Owls game thoughts?

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:58 am
cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:46 am
shrek2 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:30 am
1) Was Dayton Furuta the deep man on the kickoff? Was this because they had all the hands people up the field? If so, shouldn't they have had Dayton Furuta up field since his background is at linebacker? This put Hawaii deep into their own territory. Should they have one of the receivers in the back?
Furuta was a beast in game 1. Then the fumble. I didn't think it was his fault really. Then we don't see him. He is no way a player that can catch a kick off. He is a RB. Almost anyone but him. (I didn't look) perhaps Sharsh or some other 2nd or 3rd teir receivers should be back there. After than, we don't see Furuta again.

Holly is awesome. But I don't want to see Furuta "punished" by not getting playing time.
Okay, you saw what I heard. I agree that they needed someone who had spent their life catching since you gotta secure the ball first. With the new ruling also, it seems like they should've taken the ball at the 25. Yeah, I also think that Furuta has the heart but I think they need to give him the situations he can succeed in. He did have one carry in the game that I can recall but I think they have a long memory in his fumble in the first game, one of the things Brian Smith they will bench someone for.
I guess since the reception was muffed, the ball gets placed at that spot. I can't find a copy of the 2018 NCAA rule book. Only 2017 which is too early for this play
ImageImage

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Our DB's still arm tackle and bump tackle way too much. But, 3-0 is hard to moan about. Ecstatic about the offense, the super black uniform look. Coach Rolo has the program going in the right direction. Aufaga's an exciting, no fear return man. FG unit and kickoff unit's much improved. We have blazers at the slot and WR positions, good speed and talented RB's. A really good and young Oline. We've got talent on defense too, especially the linebackers. It's hard to stop our offense when we can spread them horizontally and vertically. We also have a QB who can run, we're a very dangerous offense. Very dangerous. Building depth will take a couple more recruiting years, but I have confidence Rolo will get us there. Three and OHHHHHH!!!! Hard to believe after 3 games, our team looking good!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Link
Found this...finally, I can watch the game.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Thanks for the game Sunday Jam. It actually was an entertaining game and Hawaii played a better game than I heard over the broadcast. So much for watching the game versus listening to a broadcast. Too much subjective comments by the announcers spoil what's really going on on the field.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:58 am
cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:46 am
shrek2 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:30 am
1) Was Dayton Furuta the deep man on the kickoff? Was this because they had all the hands people up the field? If so, shouldn't they have had Dayton Furuta up field since his background is at linebacker? This put Hawaii deep into their own territory. Should they have one of the receivers in the back?
Furuta was a beast in game 1. Then the fumble. I didn't think it was his fault really. Then we don't see him. He is no way a player that can catch a kick off. He is a RB. Almost anyone but him. (I didn't look) perhaps Sharsh or some other 2nd or 3rd teir receivers should be back there. After than, we don't see Furuta again.

Holly is awesome. But I don't want to see Furuta "punished" by not getting playing time.
Okay, you saw what I heard. I agree that they needed someone who had spent their life catching since you gotta secure the ball first. With the new ruling also, it seems like they should've taken the ball at the 25. Yeah, I also think that Furuta has the heart but I think they need to give him the situations he can succeed in. He did have one carry in the game that I can recall but I think they have a long memory in his fumble in the first game, one of the things Brian Smith they will bench someone for.
When the Defense tackle Holly, it doesn't hurt. When they tackle Furuta, it will hurt. After three quarters, defense might get tired. For a "big" back, I don't think he is as quick as Joey Iosefa off the line.

Going off topic. Thinking about the Sugar Bowl, UH did play a big (Poly) RB. I think it was his first and only play. The plan was just to get 2-3 yards. He fumbled, and Georgia recovered.

What was his name? I recall he looked rather "out of shape" for football. Then again, I don't recall now if he was a true RB or not.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:05 pm Going off topic. Thinking about the Sugar Bowl, UH did play a big (Poly) RB. I think it was his first and only play. The plan was just to get 2-3 yards. He fumbled, and Georgia recovered.

What was his name? I recall he looked rather "out of shape" for football. Then again, I don't recall now if he was a true RB or not.
The only running back from 2007 that jumps out is Kealoha Pilares but he's not big. Below is the 2007 roster.
https://hawaiiathletics.com/roster.aspx ... h=football

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:34 pm
cabanalane wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:05 pm Going off topic. Thinking about the Sugar Bowl, UH did play a big (Poly) RB. I think it was his first and only play. The plan was just to get 2-3 yards. He fumbled, and Georgia recovered.

The only running back from 2007 that jumps out is Kealoha Pilares but he's not big. Below is the 2007 roster.
https://hawaiiathletics.com/roster.aspx ... h=football
jason laumomi?

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

RedZone wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:40 pm
couz808 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:55 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:13 pm

I think CSU had no idea what to expect against us. New QB, new RBs, three new receivers, “new” offense, no game tape to help with game planning. If we played CSU this week I don’t think Hawaii beats them. I think that’s why Rice was more competitive. They had a couple games worth of game tape on the “new” RNS to help better prepare them.
Rice was better than their record says. They were competitive against Houston which killed Arizona. I believe they are gonna turn some heads in their conference.
I agree. I thought it would be a much closer game.
personally, i thought this game was a lot closer than the score board. didnt feel good about it the entire way.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

June Jones played Jason Laumoli and Farmer. Neither one did well in the regular season. Jones thought they needed more pass protection...only they both sucked at it. The go to running back was Daniel "Nacho" Libre during the regular season. Pilares only wanted to play slot back in 2007.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

poidog wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:13 pm

jason laumomi?
Yup. 5'11" and 287lbs.