When will the Rainbow be gone?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

When will the Rainbow be gone?

Post by cabanalane »

Rolo was never a Rainbow Warriors. He was a Warriors, and so are some of his coaching staff.

Rolo brought back the R&S. Rolo brought back the black uniforms. So when will Rolo get rid of the "Rainbow" in the name? He has never refer the team as "Rainbow Warriors".

True, the name does not really matter as it's rather the same. We all use shorten names. But I think this does matter to Rolo, to go back to what he knows, and where the magic is at.

"Rainbow" was brought back by Chow, because he is OG. I get that. I actually like the Rainbow because it's heritage and ties in with other UH athletic programs. That's how I remember the UH as a kid, as a student, etc. What was done, was done, to move away from the "Rainbow."

So the question is, WHEN do you think Rolo will get rid of the "Rainbow?"

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: When will the Rainbow be gone?

Post by shrek2 »

I don't think Rolo will get rid of the Rainbow because its an identity associated with all other UH sports teams. It's also associated with "Over the Rainbow" song and it was played at some of the football games in the past as well as senior night at sporting events. The UH women's volleyball team is called the Rainbow Wahine and the baseball team is referred to as the Rainbow baseball team. Neither are the UH VB or BB teams. There's a lot of tradition to it and I think it was JJ that initiated the name change.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

maybe he'll do it down the road, maybe not, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I personally _only_ refer to the team as the warriors since the original changeover, and if the majority of the fanbase ends up doing the same, the vernacular will naturally change and the final name change will happen at that time

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

What I'd really like to see is regardless of the name change or not, is for UH to have a song like "Somewhere over the Rainbow" or "Aloha Oe" immediately after the games that they win, sort of like the SF Giants tradition of playing "I left my heart in San Francisco" after each win.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

There are still players wearing the Rainbow stuff on their helmets in practice. Recruits visiting have also been pictured in Rainbow stuff. I don't think it'll be featured often, but it doesn't bother Rolo either way IMO.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Leave the nickname as is. As long as the rainbow is not on the game uniform or the helmet.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:36 am Leave the nickname as is. As long as the rainbow is not on the game uniform or the helmet.
Agreed. I like that rainbow is in the name, but not on the uniform. it is the right balance of past and present.

O.Ranks
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by O.Ranks »

I've heard him use both Rainbow Warriors and Warriors.
For consistency, I'd like to just see the official nicknames be Rainbow Warriors and Rainbow Wahine. Then everyone could use what they please, Warriors, Rainbows, 'Bows.

Some examples: Arizona Wildcats "Cats", ASU Sundevils "Devils", Arkansas Razorbacks "Hogs", Washington Huskies "Dawgs".

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

I think if the AD and HC doesn't make it an issue, then it becomes an non-issue.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:36 am Leave the nickname as is. As long as the rainbow is not on the game uniform or the helmet.
While I would rather have the name changed back to Hawaii Warrior Football and maybe in the future it might happen.

I agree, except for a special event "retro night" or practice, leave the rainbow off the game uniform or the helmet. Let's stay with Black Pants, Black or the Dark Green Helmet "Island Chain Logo" with "H" Logo", Black, Green, White Jerseys Hawaii Warrior Swag Style!

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

I don't care that we are the Rainbow Warriors.

Just can't believe it bothers some people so much.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Some Hawaii Warrior Football inspiration, Rolo and Stutzman were a lot younger in this video.

https://youtu.be/qV0Z5PFO-4c

415hawaiiboy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

Leave it and never open that can of worms. It’s a devisive issue. Too much of that already in the world.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

How about a contest to design a Rainbow using shades of grey and black and shades of green.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

There's some history in the rainbow as back in the days of Honolulu stadium it was always a good omen to have the rainbow because if the field was muddy, Hawaii always played better and chances of winning were greatly improved.