wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Re: When will the Rainbow be gone?

Post by wyokie »

O.Ranks wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:12 pm I've heard him use both Rainbow Warriors and Warriors.
For consistency, I'd like to just see the official nicknames be Rainbow Warriors and Rainbow Wahine. Then everyone could use what they please, Warriors, Rainbows, 'Bows.

Some examples: Arizona Wildcats "Cats", ASU Sundevils "Devils", Arkansas Razorbacks "Hogs", Washington Huskies "Dawgs".
Wyoming Cowboys "Pokes" is another example. Okie State does the same thing.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:42 am
:roll: Oh lordy......sounds like an oxymoron to me! :lol:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:47 am
No, an oxymoron is "an honest politician." :roll:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

If people are so nostalgic about UH football, maybe the football team can have a retro game where the helmet is leather and the nickname is the Fighting Deans. Or how about something a little bit more recent, gold toned helmets circa Dave Holmes?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:32 pm
Mr.EDGE808 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:47 am
No, an oxymoron is "an honest politician." :roll:
David Ige is apparently an honest politician. Unfortunately he is too quiet and quite ineffective and indecisive.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I’d like the “Rainbow” moniker gone, at least for the football team. But too many in the community put up a hissyfit when that was suggested. At least we have badass uniforms again.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Not sure what ppl have up their a$$ about the Rainbow part of Rainbow Warriors. Is it the association the rainbow now has w/gay ppl? I sense some bigotry.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:37 am Not sure what ppl have up their a$$ about the Rainbow part of Rainbow Warriors. Is it the association the rainbow now has w/gay ppl? I sense some bigotry.
I think it is more about liking the warrior image that was created and paid for by the school under JJ.

I really don’t think that it was driven by a need to get rid of the old symbolism. While you may be right about some not so kind people seeing that to be a benefit.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:37 am Not sure what ppl have up their a$$ about the Rainbow part of Rainbow Warriors. Is it the association the rainbow now has w/gay ppl? I sense some bigotry.
It has more to do with the image and what young men, want or do not want, to be associated with. I can’t recall exactly the number of times that former players, especially those that played under the “Warrior” name, current players and future recruits have a dislike of the “Rainbow” brand. Sure some will rock the Rainbow logo on their practice helmet or wear a shirt or something with it in public, but many would rather just be known as “Warriors”. From what my friends that were on some of those teams have said, they respect what the “Rainbow” is and what it means to some fans, but its time has passed in today’s CFB world, especially in trying to get what little recruits we can. Poll 10 HS FB recruits, especially mainland recruits, and ask them, “Would you rather be a Rainbow Warrior, a Bronco, a Bulldog, a Cougar, etc?”. Don’t factor in any other variables. Location, quality of school, price, etc, just base it on the name. Guarantee majority would not want to be associated with “Rainbow Warriors”. That’s just the cold hard truth.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:39 am
It has more to do with the image and what young men, want or do not want, to be associated with. I can’t recall exactly the number of times that former players, especially those that played under the “Warrior” name, current players and future recruits have a dislike of the “Rainbow” brand. Sure some will rock the Rainbow logo on their practice helmet or wear a shirt or something with it in public, but many would rather just be known as “Warriors”. From what my friends that were on some of those teams have said, they respect what the “Rainbow” is and what it means to some fans, but its time has passed in today’s CFB world, especially in trying to get what little recruits we can. Poll 10 HS FB recruits, especially mainland recruits, and ask them, “Would you rather be a Rainbow Warrior, a Bronco, a Bulldog, a Cougar, etc?”. Don’t factor in any other variables. Location, quality of school, price, etc, just base it on the name. Guarantee majority would not want to be associated with “Rainbow Warriors”. That’s just the cold hard truth.
This is true. There were many "chatters" on the line "Faggot Warriors" by the opposing team. I mean no disrespect to LGBT. Players trying to psych each other out.

During the opening, the PA announcer did use the words "Hawaii Warriors." I think this name change is coming.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:42 am Wyoming Cowboys "Pokes" is another example. Okie State does the same thing.
I kinda like Brokeback Cowboys or Okie Dokie State.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:49 am
wyokie wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:42 am Wyoming Cowboys "Pokes" is another example. Okie State does the same thing.
I kinda like Brokeback Cowboys or Okie Dokie State.
I hate that damned movie aka Brokeback Mountain. Probably written by a Fort Fart grad. :roll:

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

i don't like the u.h. football team being maligned as greenpeace's rainbow warrior boats.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Keep winning and Rolo can probably suggest any name he wants. Personally, I like Hawaii Warriors.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

2left
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 2left »

I actually prefer just "Warriors" as the name, but wouldn't mind some strategically placed color on the uniforms. Seems the younger generation likes the rainbow, and all black is more the old man's look from the prior decade. Also, the new generation isn't full of homophobic hangups about the LGBT community. Just stay away from the lame, 80s cartoonish rainbow. Think more like Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon prism graphics.