2%

Total votes: 42

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Road to the HI Bowl Thread - after game 11

Post by RedZone »

We got em.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

That UNLV game had us all clutching our okoles until the end. Hawaii Bowl baby!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Three of Hawaii's losses came to nationally ranked teams, Fresno (23rd), Army (24th), and Utah State (15th). BYU was ranked for a while. So, they can't deny Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl. Why wait till December 2nd?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Hawaii Bowl should be decertified by the NCAA and just make it a private Bowl game. UH will always be in the Hawaii Bowl - no matter what. Just let it be a pure money maker (meaningless Bowl game). Not that it's not, but let Hawaii Bowl keep all the $$$$.

Does anyone care if UH is not in it?

What if a player get's hurt? Only a few UH players will get a look from the NFL. If players want to opt out, sure. But for 95% of the team, it's their last time playing football, period. Let them have a "Bowl."

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 am Hawaii Bowl should be decertified by the NCAA and just make it a private Bowl game. UH will always be in the Hawaii Bowl - no matter what. Just let it be a pure money maker (meaningless Bowl game). Not that it's not, but let Hawaii Bowl keep all the $$$$.

Does anyone care if UH is not in it?

What if a player get's hurt? Only a few UH players will get a look from the NFL. If players want to opt out, sure. But for 95% of the team, it's their last time playing football, period. Let them have a "Bowl."
The way that UH handles everything on upper campus and lower campus, and the amount (lack) of dollars and attention that upper campus gives to the athletic programs, and to the horrible decision making (white out game on football's senior night), etc., etc., etc., shows that the Hawaii Bowl should firmly remain in the hands of its current owner, ESPN. The previous owners of the Aloha and Oahu Bowls lost those games. ESPN has relatively deep pockets and important connections.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

If we beat the Aztecs, then they have no case. I must admit UH had some bad loses that were on cable TV for all to watch.

Also, I read on Wikipedia that the Hawaii Bowl has a clause if Hawaii qualifies for a bowl and isn't invited to another bow, they'll play in the Hawaii Bowl. #fingascrossed
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/11/2 ... waii-bowl/
Yes, the University of Hawaii football team is bowl eligible and, yes, the Rainbow Warriors both want to play in the Dec. 22 Hawaii Bowl and expect to land there, eventually.

But there is also growing nervousness in the ranks of bowl-eligible Mountain West teams that suggests the ’Bows’ Saturday’s game at San Diego State might be viewed as an insurance policy for the winner.
At this point if Chevan gives us the best chance to beat SDSU then I say screw his Red Shirt and let him play. Looks like we may have to beat SDSU
to secure a chance to play in the Hawaii Bowl or any Bowl game this year. It's about the team not about saving a red shirt year.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

ulua wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:56 am
At this point if Chevan gives us the best chance to beat SDSU then I say screw his Red Shirt and let him play. Looks like we may have to beat SDSU
to secure a chance to play in the Hawaii Bowl or any Bowl game this year. It's about the team not about saving a red shirt year.
For Chevan's sake he need to save his red shirt year because as others have said, he need more time to mature. But most of all, because he is that special player and has shown that, he can be that much more better. For one thing, age and time will add more muscle so he can take the pounding from a 330lb 6'5" Sole from the mainland.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

If the MWC puts SDSU in the Hawaii Bowl instead of UH, UH should leave the conference.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

poidog wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:12 am If the MWC puts SDSU in the Hawaii Bowl instead of UH, UH should leave the conference.
I actually think UH should leave the conference and be like BYU, independent. Keep the money, and control of the program. Play who they want to play. Weak schedule, so what. Fans get excited with wins, and sell lots of beer and hot dogs.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:23 pm
poidog wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:12 am If the MWC puts SDSU in the Hawaii Bowl instead of UH, UH should leave the conference.
I actually think UH should leave the conference and be like BYU, independent. Keep the money, and control of the program. Play who they want to play. Weak schedule, so what. Fans get excited with wins, and sell lots of beer and hot dogs.
And have to play 8-10 road games a year. Nobody will want to come out here during the middle of their conference season. It's one thing to go to BYU, it's another to fly another 3000 out west. We'll have teams coming out here only during the first 4-5 weeks of the season.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

The guys left no doubt beating San Diego State. We're going to the Hawaii Bowl.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

In being an independent (I don't like this), and with conference affiliated schools being tied to their own conference schedules, who would really want to see New Mexico State, Massachusetts and Liberty every freaking year? Hell, Liberty and NMSU are playing/already played each other TWO times this year, home and home, just to fill up their schedules.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

My3Cats wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:14 pm In being an independent (I don't like this), and with conference affiliated schools being tied to their own conference schedules, who would really want to see New Mexico State, Massachusetts and Liberty every freaking year? Hell, Liberty and NMSU are playing/already played each other TWO times this year, home and home, just to fill up their schedules.
Week Zero and Week 1:
PAC12 Team
PAC12 Team
We already get these games now, though we have to trade 2 for 1's so sometimes we will have one less home game than we want

Week 2-3:
UNLV
SJSU
Easy travel games to the west coast. Ideally alternate home and homes with each. SDSU, UNR, and other MWC teams could be slotted in here as well but a series with UNLV is ideal.

Week 4:
Navy
Regular games against the service academies are key to making independence work. Navy fits here because it is early enough to where their conference play has not yet started.

Week 5-13:
Notre Dame
NMST
UMass
FCS Team
Liberty
Army
BYU

Games against other independents, with an FCS game and 2 bye weeks mixed in. Notre Dame is hard because they have many future games already scheduled, but if we could get on that schedule it would make things easier.

In this scenario there would be 6 home games a year and 2 bye weeks (7 home games if we play 2 FCS teams or are able to pay another FBS team to make the trip during their conference season). The TV package would be worth more to Spectrum or Hawaii News Now as they wouldn't lose any games to the MWC deal with ESPN. Hawaii Bowl would probably be willing to switch to UH or at-large as one of their tie-ins as there always seems to be conferences with more eligible teams than tie-ins. Travel would be tougher in the 2nd half of the season but with the flexibility of having bye weeks and FCS games that can be mitigated. West coast road games in the beginning of the season also helps with the travel issue.