Post Colorado State Game thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post Colorado State Game thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

I know this was just the first game...

But It was great to see Hawaii having WR’s that were not afraid to catch the ball in traffic and can juke/shake/dance for YAC. I got to give it to the WR’s JoJo Ward, Cedric Bryd, John Ursua and Marcus Armstrong-Brown. Our kickers are outstanding!!! Clutch FG and Punting! The shovel pass is back! McDonald was money, a true dual threat Colin Kapernick-like QB! Oline and RB’s did great.

It was amusing to watch CSU LB in coverage against speedy WR’s JoJo Ward, Cedric Bryd, John Ursua then get ankle breaking juked.

The Hawaii team needs to clean up the penalties, false starts/delay of game/offsides. But no dumb unsportsmanlike type penalties is a positive.

Defense- the secondary needs help from the D-line. The D-line didn’t get much pressure on the CSU QB Carta-Samuels. The Hawaii LB’s and DB’s can only cover those WR’s for so long. To be fair the CSU WR’s did push off a lot against the Hawaii DB’s to get separation. And it did look like the secondary got gassed by the end of the 3rd quarter, from the lack of a pass rush by the D-line. Got to improve the D-line penetration and tackling.

The Vader Black Helmets with the Island sticker on one side and H logo on the opposite side is a keeper. Those black helmets will look even better with the black jerseys and black pants. Nothing against the green uni’s but the black just looks menacing and has swag.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: Post Colorado State Game thoughts?

Post by UnBiasFan »

Cedric Byrd

26 years old ... we are going to see some big numbers here

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

UH coach Nick Rolovich said he takes responsibility for a play that could have sealed the outcome earlier.

With UH leading 40-34 with under 50 seconds left, quarterback Cole McDonald threw incomplete on third-and-4 from the CSU 17. Meskell’s field goal gave UH a nine-point lead, but it also left the Rams with a final possession.

Rolovich acknowledged that the Rams had used up their timeouts during that last UH drive and an intentional sack would have allowed the clock to eventually run out without the Rams ever regaining possession.

“I wish I had a chance to talk to them before that third-down play,” Rolovich said. “That’s where we need to grow as a unit. That has to be a natural. But that’s not Cole McDonald’s fault. That’s my fault. Cole McDonald did what he was supposed to do.”
Don't understand this comment. Why not just run the ball then? it would have had the same effect. Could have even taken a delay of game penalty to get the guys on the same page. Clock management has got to get a lot better. No way should we use up all of TOs with 10 min left in the game.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Went to Costco during the 3rd quarter and when I got back Vanterpool was in for Manning. Did Manning get hurt or was he not playing well? I thought he looked good while he was in there.
ImageImage

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

+1 on the season. Stole a game they were absolutely expected to lose. Highlight moment for Rolo.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

both running backs picked up blitzes like it was nothing. route running by byrd was killer as well

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

J-Rod wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:46 am +1 on the season. Stole a game they were absolutely expected to lose. Highlight moment for Rolo.
Agree. I thought the whole game would have been like the second half. Our offense looks a lot better than last year. Cole is a keeper. How the defense played in the 1st half gives me hope. I especially liked our ST coverage on punts and kickoffs.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

This game changed the tempo and attitude for the season. They boys must be on an unreal high.

The boys really stepped up and proved they can win despite their former teammates bailing on them in the off season

Irse

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:35 am This game changed the tempo and attitude for the season. They boys must be on an unreal high.

The boys really stepped up and proved they can win despite their former teammates bailing on them in the off season
Yep
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Last thought. I still think our kicker throws like a girl.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Also, $99 season tickets are still available

https://goo.gl/cz2rFG

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Liked watching CSU’s tackle trying to block pass rushing Padello. Though smaller, Padello is quick, strong, uses leverage and is tenacious.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

ubercow wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:24 am both running backs picked up blitzes like it was nothing. route running by byrd was killer as well
the only fault i saw from the running backs is the lack of changing hands to protect the ball. I've seen both Furuta and Holly hold the ball in the hand closest to the defenders as they run to the outside. Furuta fumbled on one occasion because of it.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

being part of "Week Zero" is awesome when you win! I like this...

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Our O line played a hell of game, I believe they only gave up 1 sack.
Cole McDonald was the biggest surprise, he ran that O like a vet. Made smart choices, got the ball out quick and had some nice touch on
the deep ball.

Our ST 100% better then previous Year, in all phases.
Our running backs did a good job protecting Cole, and also running and pass catching. Like someone stated they just need to learn
to switch the ball to the appropriate hand. This can be fixed in practice and with reps.

Our Receiver what can I say,feel like old times, we got speed, quickness and most of all HANDS!!!

Our D played fairly well for almost 3 quarters then fell apart from the end of the third and on.
I think they will be fine, as some one mentioned they played good for 3 quarters and they just got gassed from the altitude and CSU's fast
pace game. Season is still young, lots of time to improve

If the O can play like this the entire season, they will have or D's Backs, all our D has to do is provide just enough stops or turnovers.