Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Re: Best QB in the history of UH football

Post by Scott »

shoichikun808 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 pm Wouldn't say he will be the best QB...maybe one of the best dual threat QB's...
We have to give that honor to Michael Carter.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

xer 21 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:25 pm
shrek2 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:27 am Nah, I think if you look at Russell Wilson of the Seahawks you kind of wonder WT freak when he passes the ball for a completion when you think there are no receivers open. Russell Wilson was 6'0 in the morning and 5'11 in the afternoon. Then you have Colin Kaepernick who was at times listed at 6'6 who just never figured out the touch pass and looking at all receivers and he never developed into an NFL commodity. Height helps but I think its more instinct and desire to perfect your trade. JMHO. If last year's quarterback had the speed at 6'0, it would have made the offense more potent but he was beat from the time the DE trapped him. He wasn't able to get out of the pocket faster than the DE's. UNLV has shown us that they can have small quarterbacks who can both pass and run.
nah, Dru Brown's speed wasnt the issue. he just had no pocket awareness. feeling pressure is a hard thing to teach, and Brown never picked it up.
Dru also held onto the ball waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. Couldn't make a decision and he had to wait until a receiver actually got open until he threw it but by then too late with the defender closing fast.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Scott wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:56 pm
shoichikun808 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 pm Wouldn't say he will be the best QB...maybe one of the best dual threat QB's...
We have to give that honor to Michael Carter.
But IMHO Carter was not a good passer. Definitely could make good run option decisions though.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

stranger808 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:49 pm
cabanalane wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:32 am We don't throw in Greg Tipton's name as one of UH's Great because the bar has been set so high now.

Prior to Cater, Greg Tipton can be consider as UH's GOAT QB. Let's give him some credit too. Tipton's success is (one of the reason) what got Tomey "the attention" which lead to an offer to coach Arizona.

Dick Tomey is still consider one of the best coaches in the PAC-10 (12) history, whatever it was back then.

https://tucson.com/top-pac--coaches/art ... 7cdd5.html
Before my time, I remember the name but not the play. What do you think about QB Ralph Cherry? Where does he rank in your book?
Was a long time ago but if memory serves me right (and I definitely could be remembering wrong), but Raphel's first play from scrimmage was a quarterback run for a really long touchdown. And I think that he also pulled a hamstring during the run but still kept going because he didn't want to feel embarrassed about it if he just dropped down to the ground. Too bad about his personal troubles.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Cole should stay humble right now. I always thought the Timmy Chang for heisman campaign was one of JJ biggest mistakes.

A lot of things can happen during the season. But I can tell right now we got a better QB than Colt and Chang.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

According to Randy Cross, Rolo feels like both Moussa and Cordeiro can backup and he is saving them in case of injury down the line. At this point thus far in the W-L column, I would definitely like to see both QBs get substantial time in the Rice/Duquesne games but hopefully keep their redshirt status.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I don't remember a QB getting the RnS as quickly as Cole. He still needs to improve
ImageImage

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Irse wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:42 am I don't remember a QB getting the RnS as quickly as Cole. He still needs to improve
The says something about the receivers also. They get it. They will also improve.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

What's scary for future UH opponents is that Cole, his receivers, offensive line and running backs will continue to improve. If UH's defense can produce more stops with less gashing plays, I can foresee multiple 60+ point games coming up.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:32 am Cole should stay humble right now. I always thought the Timmy Chang for heisman campaign was one of JJ biggest mistakes.

A lot of things can happen during the season. But I can tell right now we got a better QB than Colt and Chang.
I think Cole has. He took every opportunity to thank the O-Line and down play his efforts. Chang, IIRC, was a bit "arrogant." Meaning, he know he is good, got the numbers to back it up, and back up his talk. Call it confidence, if we wish. Chang was what you want your QB to be-like. No doubt, Cole knows he is good (better, etc), but has chosen a different route to communicate. Perhaps in the world of modern day social media, but to take the safe route.

Who's better? Depends what how we define it. I like Cole's running ability (like Moniz). But his arm, IMO, is not as strong as Cole, Chang, Moniz, or Rolo. The ball does not zip, like the past UH QB Greats.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:56 am Chang, IIRC, was a bit "arrogant." Meaning, he know he is good, got the numbers to back it up, and back up his talk. Call it confidence, if we wish. Chang was what you want your QB to be-like. ....

Who's better? Depends what how we define it. I like Cole's running ability (like Moniz). But his arm, IMO, is not as strong as Cole, Chang, Moniz, or Rolo. The ball does not zip, like the past UH QB Greats.
My recollection of Chang wasn’t so much his talk, but JJ promotion of him. When the chips came down on the national stage at Boise State, Chang had a horrible game. From that point on, the only thing that came to my mind was Over-Rated. I blame that on JJ.

Colt was a high percentage passer. But never had the potential to excel at the next level in my opinion.

I believe Cole will get a solid look by NFL scouts. Granted that he has not been tested and may never be tested by a top ten D. So he has no lock on an NFL career. But he get chance.

And he has plenty arm strength. Don’t mistake the fact that he throws a catchable ball with not having arm strength. He can deliver the ball down field as needed.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Still no interception.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

We know what Chang is doing. We know what Rolo is doing. We know why Colt no-can-do what he loves. We can add Niumatalolo and Jasper to the list on what they are doing.

So what happened to Micheal Carter? Prior to the JJ era, Carter was the most celebrated QB in UH history. GOAT at the time. Does anyone recall if offers were made to him to perhaps coach? Not high school, but college. Right after his playing days. How come he did not attach on the Paul Johnson coaching tree? I would think Carter loves football and would want to be connected to the game.

I read that he is going well, working, family man, kids etc. Somewhere in-between, I'm sure there's still passion for football, no?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:53 pm Sorry for calling this early. But, I don’t believe I have the power to jinx things.

Cole McDonald will be the best QB in the history of the program.

😬
:roll:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

UnBiasFan wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:06 am
UnBiasFan wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:53 pm Sorry for calling this early. But, I don’t believe I have the power to jinx things.

Cole McDonald will be the best QB in the history of the program.

😬
:roll:
Can you jinx UNLV :)