shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

UH Line - "Where's the beef?"

Post by shrek2 »

UH lost Brandon Kipper to OSU (6'6", 275 lbs) and Viane Moala (6'7", 270lbs). We are getting all these recruits who are smaller than the coaching staff. SDSU, Boise State, Utah State, Fresno State and other schools in the MWC are controlling the line of scrimmage so how are we suppose to compete if we don't have beef on the offensive/defensive line? Kipper wrestled in high school and Moana got through to block 3 field goals. Nice to get some potential skilled positions filled but without the "beef," can we expect any kind of winning season in the future? Whoever wins, controls the line of scrimmage.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: UH Line - "Where's the beef?"

Post by cabanalane »

I recall reading that guys that play the line are getting "smaller" today. The days of ~300 lbs have past. Part of it is that guys are getting stronger and leaner, so don't need the body mass.

Maybe UH is aiming for smaller, quicker, faster, less likely to get hurt because of their weight - type of guys.

But I do agree with you. I like to see some jumbo guys running the Power-I. UH need to find more guys like Mark Nua.

When you see Mark Nua + Hekoti Fakava at the RB. If you don't want to get hurt, get out of the way.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I'm glad that a UH recruiter was instrumental in sending a Sydney, Australian kid to Minnesota.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/274 ... abama-more
http://www.espn.com/college-football/re ... -sensation

Daniel Faalele sent a 5 star recruit to Florida airborne according to the article. 6'9", 395lbs.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

cabanalane wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:53 am I recall reading that guys that play the line are getting "smaller" today. The days of ~300 lbs have past. Part of it is that guys are getting stronger and leaner, so don't need the body mass.
alabama's nick saban began recruiting lighter linemen a couple of years ago opting for agility and speed. he still has heavies on his roster. seems to be successful with the lighter players' speed.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Taala and Russell are both 310 lbs or over. That's more beef at NT than we typically have.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I guess I like the length more than the weight especially on defense. I would like to see what the earlier Hawaii teams used to do which is control the line of scrimmage under Wagner and Holmes (going back a while). They had a staggering line on defense in JJ's first year so much so that one lady in the San Jose stadium said its unfair that Hawaii's players are so much bigger. Whatever it takes, it seems that Boise State, BYU and San Diego State always seem to beat us on the line.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 am They had a staggering line on defense in JJ's first year so much so that one lady in the San Jose stadium said its unfair that Hawaii's players are so much bigger. Whatever it takes, it seems that Boise State, BYU and San Diego State always seem to beat us on the line.
Every college is picking up all the Polys. Now they know. They didn't before.

When I was young in Hawaii, you can build rapport real quick with Hawaiians, Samoans, etc. What high school you went...

Then when I got to the mainland, you see a Polynesian looking guy. You instantly become his brother, because he is from Hawaii too. He is happy, you are happy, and both of you stand there talking for 15 minutes, with a total stranger. He tells you his whole life story up to this point.

Today, you approach a Polynesian looking guy, all "happy." He think you are weird. He knows nothing about Hawaii, born and raised in Texas. Don't give a $hit that you are from Hawaii. Get away, don't talk to me. No desire to visit Hawaii. Would rather visit Los Angeles.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

We were lucky to get the Kolomatangi brothers and the Tavai brothers, not to mention Kalepo Naotala who I believe is from Virginia. I think the key to recruiting the line is winning since its a blue collar job; no headlines or pictures in the papers. I also think having Naeole helped because of his size and background. I just see all these new skilled position recruits coming in without any commitments coming in for a stronger line. I would be impressed if Hawaii has some big linemen in the queue. Be nice if we had Faalele pancaking some of the SDSU defensive linemen.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

shrek2 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 am I guess I like the length more than the weight especially on defense. I would like to see what the earlier Hawaii teams used to do which is control the line of scrimmage under Wagner and Holmes (going back a while). They had a staggering line on defense in JJ's first year so much so that one lady in the San Jose stadium said its unfair that Hawaii's players are so much bigger. Whatever it takes, it seems that Boise State, BYU and San Diego State always seem to beat us on the line.
We've been getting beat up front for years, and it's largely because we haven't been strong enough on the interior. Every once in a while, there is a Boise State's David Moa type that can be strong and fast at 280 lbs and hold his own at DT/NT, but overall if you're not pushing 300 lbs, OL's see nothing but barbeque chicken. Easy eats for the run game.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Last season when they had a highly touted preseason offensive line, they couldn't protect Brown after Ursua went down. It was a three maybe four seconds before the sack or a holding call. But the other teams had somewhere >5 seconds to pass. So, I think on both sides of the field they need to bring in some "big boys." Either big in size or in heart like the Noga brothers.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I am more worried about how easy it was for teams to run to the outside. We need more quickness and speed on defense. Our players need to get off blocks and make plays. I remember when Mac got here he went with speed. Even if it meant going with smaller players.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

One bright spot is that I noticed Zeno Choi around the ball carrier on the sweeps although I don't know if he did much pushing to get in the backfield.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

New article about Rolo and his new team. What blows me away is the statement about one of the defensive linemen.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/07/2 ... b3d93e235b

"Ritner is a tireless defender, evidenced by his passion for spear-fishing off the Southern California coast." Whoa, major disconnect here. Also highlighted on the defense is Azia Se'ei: "Nose tackle Azia Seei, who is optimistically listed as 5-10, is a nuisance for offensive linemen to block." Before coming to UH, he was touted for a total of 13 tackles with two for losses for the season for William Penn, Iowa.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Not trying to put down any of their athletes and their confidence but the article below states that Kaiwi Chung 5'10 moving to center. Is he #2 on the depth chart?
http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/08/0 ... 26b34a8d08
I am more concerned about the defense where there was no rush of any kind and other teams seem to have scored at will right after a UH score last year.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Maybe there will be plays where the Center pulls to lead the block for the RB. Be just as fast, and able to run all the way down the field. Not just 40 yards.