uhwarriors

Larry Tuileta transferring from USC to UH

Post by uhwarriors »

PrideRockFB
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Larry Tuileta transferring from USC to UH

Post by PrideRockFB »

Excited about this. Would bring some serious competition to the QB spot. I believe at first he did commit to UH.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I guess he has to sit out a year. Hope he's walking on and we're not burning a scholie on him.
ImageImage

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

I believe he was a walk-on for football at USC (RS 2015 for USC),

He should be able to play right away for football. He was the best QB coming out of Hawaii in 2015; however, IMHO, he'll have to prove himself to be on a warrior' football scholarship; But, IMHO, in the sport of volleyball, he was all-world coming out of HS. This is the sport he'll be able to contribute right away.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

seasider wrote:I believe he was a walk-on for football at USC (RS 2015 for USC),

He should be able to play right away for football. He was the best QB coming out of Hawaii in 2015; however, IMHO, he'll have to prove himself to be on a warrior' football scholarship; But, IMHO, in the sport of volleyball, he was all-world coming out of HS. This is the sport he'll be able to contribute right away.
He was an "invited" walk-on so he will need to sit out a year for football. But different rules for volleyball so he is eligible to play volleyball immediately.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

uhwarriors wrote:
seasider wrote:I believe he was a walk-on for football at USC (RS 2015 for USC),

He was an "invited" walk-on so he will need to sit out a year for football. But different rules for volleyball so he is eligible to play volleyball immediately.
The NCAA have a lot of "mumbo-jumbo" rules that makes no sense...LOL, invited or preferred walk-on vs walk-on to me there's no difference...he still pays his (more likely parents) way to school. But, then again, BCS conference schools may have hidden perks that mid-majors can't afford...LOL.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Concerned how rusty he may be at QB.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

EITSwarrior wrote:Concerned how rusty he may be at QB.
Max Wittek sitting out that one year, IMO, messed him up. He had the tools, but everything just seemed off.

Woolsey not name starting last year really did not help to prepare him for next - his senior year.

Point is, in bring in these names is that a QB need to play, in real games. Sitting out will only hurt him and his future chances.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

cabanalane wrote:
Max Wittek sitting out that one year, IMO, messed him up. He had the tools, but everything just seemed off.

Woolsey not name starting last year really did not help to prepare him for next - his senior year.

Point is, in bring in these names is that a QB need to play, in real games. Sitting out will only hurt him and his future chances.
My concern is that he last practiced football in Dec 2014. He was on the USC volleyball team full time since Jan 2015. Atleast all prior transfer QBs (Graham, Schroeder, Whitek) or available 2016 transfers practiced, worked out, sat in meetings & film sessions to keep their body & mind ready to run an offense. He will definitely add value to the Men's Volleyball team.

He wasn't a highly sought QB out of HS, 2* with only 1 offer, Hawaii. Similar to Ikaika Woolsey, Justin Alo, Cayman Shutter, Beau Reilly, etc.

If he were just out if High School I would have been excited, but with only 18 scholarships to give out, Rolo has to be really selected as to who gets the free ride. Got to stop the Greyshirt, Blue Shirt, borrowing from next season style of recruiting

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Can always use quarterback depth. All it takes is a couple of plays before the third or fourth string guys have to get on the field. Didn't Moniz start off as the 4th or 5th string guy?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

My3Cats wrote:Can always use quarterback depth. All it takes is a couple of plays before the third or fourth string guys have to get on the field. Didn't Moniz start off as the 4th or 5th string guy?
Agree. He doesn't have to be the starter. Hopefully he will provide more competition at the position. He won't have to adjust to college. He's been there.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

He's not getting a scholarship right away, but I think if he does that football would be on the hook for his scholarship and not volleyball. I think he still needs to get accepted to UH as a transfer and all that, so a lot needs to be figured out still...

shock808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by shock808 »

poidog wrote:He's not getting a scholarship right away, but I think if he does that football would be on the hook for his scholarship and not volleyball. I think he still needs to get accepted to UH as a transfer and all that, so a lot needs to be figured out still...
agreed. If he does get any scholarship it would need to be football per the ncaa rules.

shock808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by shock808 »

cabanalane wrote:

Missing/Red-shirting isn't always a huge negative for QBs. Mike Vick, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Johnny Manziel to name a few all red-shirted. Being away for what would be two years like the other poster said would be a pretty long time though.

amela
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by amela »

Shouldn't be offered a scholarship should be a walk on. He decomitted which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He needs to earn it and earn the respect of the Hawaii faithful first.