POLL: Will June Jones be the next UH football Head Coach?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football

Will June Jones be the next UH Football Head Coach?

YES
56%
NO
44%

Total votes: 43

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: POLL: Will June Jones be the next UH football Head Coach?

Post by J-Rod »

Yes. Nostalgia will win again, hopefully with different results this time. Either JJ makes lightening strike a second time, or this will be UH's saddest hour.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

J-Rod wrote:Yes. Nostalgia will win again, hopefully with different results this time. Either JJ makes lightening strike a second time, or this will be UH's saddest hour.
If he wins the home games, the fans will come out. A solid defense at home combined with a wide open passing attack always gives us a good chance. The road games are something else. Things will get better with JJ.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Hawaii does have financial problems, recruiting difficulties geographically and hiring a head coach with Hawaii ties like a Dino Babers or June Jones that already have proven that they can win games with a tight budget as a FBS head coach is important to me. I received a letter from UH asking for a donation with AD Matlin picture on it, I'm holding off donating until I see who is hired as the next Head Coach. I would be more willing a donation of my hard earned money if Dino Babers or June Jones are the next Hawaii Football Head Coach. If Matlin hires someone else I might not donate, just my personal opinion about what I am willing to do with the money that bust my okole making. I would definitely donate if Matlin changes the Football nickname back to the just the Warriors and drop the losing Rainbow nickname and hires Dino Babers or June Jones.

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

i heard JJ is not going in humble. more of demanding, you need me attitude. obviously I wasn't there but that's what I heard.

if he is being that way, then Matlin may try to go elsewhere. being a new AD, putting his job on the line by making the decision on his own vice a selection committee, he may not want someone who may be a lone wolf and may not be able to reign in.

June did a heck of a lot for our program. I defend him constantly. as arrogant as he is, he did things for the better good of the program. remember, no soap in the showers, cooke field was condemned, and lot of other stuff. the manner in which he goes about it is what people get pissed at, but I don't question his intent.

if he comes back, I hope he has learned something at SMU about recruiting and how important it is.

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

You can't teach an old dog new tricks applies.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

oldhawaiiguy wrote:You can't teach an old dog new tricks applies.
Chow already proved that adage. Will JJ be the same way too? I'd rather have a new dog who is willing to try new things (for Hawaii) that may have worked elsewhere.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

UH needs someone with head coaching experience... they can't afford the OJT program any longer.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

browndog wrote:
BigIslandHank wrote:If cannot get Dino Babers .... JJ.
i too am now hoping for babers
Babers offense looks a lot like what we are running now. His quarterback sits in the pocket a long time. Sometimes too long. The difference is his receivers catch the ball and make plays. His runningbacks run really hard and aren't that big. His d is kind of holey so it is good that they score a lot of points. Kinda reminds me of our team with better execution. I really don't know if he would be able to change things around here.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

There are 49 other options and more to be added after the season is over, which shows coaches are interested despite the challenges at UH.

JJ had his run, but his last few yrs @ SMU were horrible. Let's get the best proven option and not fall in love with our old girlfriend. After all, she's an ex for a reason.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

looks like the YES's has surged way ahead of the NO's... Interesting...

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

808Hawaii wrote:
dakineguy wrote:I liked JJ but when the chips were down he bailed out for more money elsewhere. I am not sure how well he would do since it seems he didn't repeat his miracle run at SMU. I think he was just lucky to get Colt and the dread heads. So in summary it makes no difference to me if he gets in or not. I just hope they pick the best applicant.
JJ left UH because Frazier was delinquent in offering him an extension. JJ took SMU to four bowl games. Under the circumstances, I think that's very good. JJ wasn't only successful with Colt Brennan. He was also successful with Chang, Rolo, Robinson, ....

JJ is the best applicant. Who would be better? I can think of only Vince Lombardi. But Lombardi has been dead for too long a time already to make the impact JJ would.
JJ wanted better facilities. The problem is people here want something for nothing.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

RedZone wrote:
JJ wanted better facilities. The problem is people here want something for nothing.
I think JJ is out base on that statement. He would need to turn the program around. Show them the $$$. Then UH will make that decision. If a new Stadium (for example) will take as long as the Rail project, JJ would 80 years old when that decision is up for vote with the committee.

I think the job will go to someone that will make less or no demands. The decision makers are all budget and compliance people. Don't talk to them about money and needing more money. Show them how, as a head coach, you can reduce cost. Start with removing the soap in the locker room. Water is just fine.

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote:
RedZone wrote:
I think JJ is out base on that statement. He would need to turn the program around. Show them the $$$. Then UH will make that decision. If a new Stadium (for example) will take as long as the Rail project, JJ would 80 years old when that decision is up for vote with the committee.

I think the job will go to someone that will make less or no demands. The decision makers are all budget and compliance people. Don't talk to them about money and needing more money. Show them how, as a head coach, you can reduce cost. Start with removing the soap in the locker room. Water is just fine.
JJ got twice the results with half the resources. Nobody will come here making no demands when they look at the state of the program and the lack of commitment from the state. Guys who are no familiar with the program will complain like von Appen and Chow did and will have the same results.
ImageImage

Irse
MLB: Cubs

Post by Irse »

RedZone wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:
dakineguy wrote:I liked JJ but when the chips were down he bailed out for more money elsewhere. I am not sure how well he would do since it seems he didn't repeat his miracle run at SMU. I think he was just lucky to get Colt and the dread heads. So in summary it makes no difference to me if he gets in or not. I just hope they pick the best applicant.
JJ left UH because Frazier was delinquent in offering him an extension. JJ took SMU to four bowl games. Under the circumstances, I think that's very good. JJ wasn't only successful with Colt Brennan. He was also successful with Chang, Rolo, Robinson, ....

JJ is the best applicant. Who would be better? I can think of only Vince Lombardi. But Lombardi has been dead for too long a time already to make the impact JJ would.
JJ wanted a contract.
ImageImage

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Irse wrote:
RedZone wrote:
808Hawaii wrote: JJ left UH because Frazier was delinquent in offering him an extension. JJ took SMU to four bowl games. Under the circumstances, I think that's very good. JJ wasn't only successful with Colt Brennan. He was also successful with Chang, Rolo, Robinson, ....

JJ wanted a contract.
This is correct. the only reason (other than a sweet offer from SMU) that he left is because Herman Frazier didn't want to pay him. My theory is that HF wasn't happy about JJ having more pull than him and was using the contract situation as a way to get JJ out and bring in someone else. It backfired on him when he got fired for not retaining JJ.