Are we afraid to state the obvious?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: Are we afraid to state the obvious?

Post by xer 21 »

what, im supposed to pretend he's doing us some huge favor by staying home? If someone isnt up to snuff, im going to say it. and i'll say this too, people care WAY too much about local recruiting. once you get past the top few guys, its really a bunch of mediocrity. the islands arent special, and we arent a talent rich hotbed. we produce a handful of really good players every year, but at the end of the day, we're not special.

and im not criticizing him when were losign or because we're losing. im criticizing him because people asked after him and im explaining why he's not an answer.

and if you're going to call someone productive because he had 2 good runs out of 7 touches last year, you're grasping at straws. What, was malcolm lane the next Randy Moss because he manged to catch a couple long bombs every year? or was he a mediocre receiver with dodgy skills who didnt see the field for a reason?

and please, acting like throwing against MIL competition is proof that he'd be good is a joke. i've watched him play, he's not a good thrower, he just happened to be playing against MIL teams. going undefeated against lwoly opponenets in high school doesnt prove a thing.

and yes, i understand the go route. that's ALL he has. and its not exactly a difficult route to defend.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

amela
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by amela »

It seems it all points to the receivers coach. He can't seem to get these guys to get separation, make good cuts, run good routes and catch the ball. What else...

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

amela wrote:It seems it all points to the receivers coach. He can't seem to get these guys to get separation, make good cuts, run good routes and catch the ball. What else...
Route running still looks sloppy at times. Quarterback and receivers not in sync. When it is this bad you need to look at the head coach. If your assistant is not doing the job you replace him or assist him to get it right.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

ttmf
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ttmf »

And the truth shall set you free

IT''s CIAO TIME!
IT'S JUST A GAME!

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

xer 21 wrote:what, im supposed to pretend he's doing us some huge favor by staying home? If someone isnt up to snuff, im going to say it. and i'll say this too, people care WAY too much about local recruiting. once you get past the top few guys, its really a bunch of mediocrity. the islands arent special, and we arent a talent rich hotbed. we produce a handful of really good players every year, but at the end of the day, we're not special.

and im not criticizing him when were losign or because we're losing. im criticizing him because people asked after him and im explaining why he's not an answer.

and if you're going to call someone productive because he had 2 good runs out of 7 touches last year, you're grasping at straws. What, was malcolm lane the next Randy Moss because he manged to catch a couple long bombs every year? or was he a mediocre receiver with dodgy skills who didnt see the field for a reason?

and please, acting like throwing against MIL competition is proof that he'd be good is a joke. i've watched him play, he's not a good thrower, he just happened to be playing against MIL teams. going undefeated against lwoly opponenets in high school doesnt prove a thing.

and yes, i understand the go route. that's ALL he has. and its not exactly a difficult route to defend.
I feel for you, man. You're saying the islands aren't special, with the exception of just a few top guys, then its really a bunch of mediocrity?

And going 22-0 undefeated with three years being named League Offensive Player of the Year doesn't prove a thing, because he played against lowly opponents.

Must be depressing to be you, to view life every day with your glass half empty. Fill your glass up, dude. It's a game for student/athletes, a way for many to receive a college education,and for some, the only way to receive a college education.

No need to belittle teenagers out of high school, maybe you should consider a different hobby for yourself, where you can do a little self-reflection.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

xer 21 wrote:what, im supposed to pretend he's doing us some huge favor by staying home? If someone isnt up to snuff, im going to say it. and i'll say this too, people care WAY too much about local recruiting. once you get past the top few guys, its really a bunch of mediocrity. the islands arent special, and we arent a talent rich hotbed. we produce a handful of really good players every year, but at the end of the day, we're not special.

A lot of truth to what you are saying. Coach Beeman recruits a lot on the mainland and down under. Her next class is coming from Cal and Australia. What does she do? She just wins. She will go after a Kuehu if there is one available but like in football when the PAC 12 comes a calling they leave.

I actually like our new kick returner. Pereese.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
I feel for you, man. You're saying the islands aren't special, with the exception of just a few top guys, then its really a bunch of mediocrity?

thats exactly what im saying. no one questions this sentiment when talking of other sports. but it exists for ALL sports. Face it. there is a MASSIVE drop off once you get past the top ten. that's just reality.
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:

And going 22-0 undefeated with three years being named League Offensive Player of the Year doesn't prove a thing, because he played against lowly opponents.
correct.
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
Must be depressing to be you, to view life every day with your glass half empty. Fill your glass up, dude.
you cant fill a glass up when you dont have enough water.
wailukuwarriorfan wrote: It's a game for student/athletes, a way for many to receive a college education,and for some, the only way to receive a college education.
so? im serious, so? there's tons of kids who werent born with the athletic talent to get a scholarship who cant afford it either. i'm supposed to overlook obvious deficiencies in our players on the grounds simply because you're assuming they're charity cases?
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
No need to belittle teenagers out of high school, maybe you should consider a different hobby for yourself, where you can do a little self-reflection.
im not belittling him as a hobby, im explaining why he's not a good receiver. there's a difference. and acting like we need to protect a bunch of men from the harmful emotional arrows of a little internet criticism is more patronizing than my own opinions.

targets.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Here is the list of 21 Seniors from the Hawaii roster. I think 8 or 9 of them are in the current 1’s and 2’s rotation. And only 1 is a WR, 1 QB that lost his starting job. Huge losses with 4 LB that were in the 1’s and 2’s rotation. Lose 2 OL that were in the 1’s and 2’s. Losing 4 year starters Nequan Phillips and Marrel Jackson in the secondary is going to leave some big shoes and game experience to fill. I don’t see any D lineman graduating this year.

But looking at the next years potential roster just based off of returning players not including recruits, transfers or unexpected medical/hardship redshirts or greyshirts. Hawaii returns a lot of players on the depth chart with live game reps next season. I hope the WR’s Corps which is only losing 1 WR with game reps can figure out how to catch a pass.

I bet June Jones or Dino Babers could work some magic with a deep young depth chart that has valuable live game reps.

Am I mistaking or wasn’t Ikaika Woolsey recruited by the previous catching staff to be a QB for the run-n-shoot offense?

1. Ne’Quan Phillips DB 5-9 190 Sr. Miami, Fla. / Southridge HS

3 Simon Poti LB 6-0 235 Sr. Fullerton, Calif. / Fullerton College

5 Quinton Pedroza WR 6-2 215 Sr. Chino, Calif. / Utah

8 Julian Gener LB 5-11 225 Sr. West Covina, Calif. / Mt. San Antonio

10 Marrell Jackson DB 6-0 200 Sr. Miramar, Fla. / Miramar HS

13 Max Wittek QB 6-4 240 Sr. Norwalk, Conn. / USC

17 Lance Williams LB 6-0 230 Sr. Honolulu, O`ahu / Farrington HS

20 Peeress Joas RB 5-6 180 Sr. Plano, Texas / Liberty HS

25 Dominique Small RB 5-10 190 Sr. Lakewood, Calif. / Cerritos College

30 Gaetano DeMattei DB 5-8 175 Sr. Rio Vista, Calif. / Diablo Valley College

35 Joshua Donovan DB 6-0 210 Sr. Honolulu, O`ahu / Mid-Pacific Institute

36 Benetton Fonua LB 6-0 235 Sr. Kahuku, O‘ahu / Kahuku HS

60 Brian Hittner LS 6-1 200 Sr. Anaheim Hills, Calif. / Saddleback College

71 Ben Clarke OL 6-3 295 Sr. Littleton, Colo. / Chatfield HS

87 Harold Moleni TE 6-2 235 Sr. West Valley City Utah/ Hunter HS

89 Ryan Pasoquen WR 6-0 195 R-Sr. Wahiawa, O‘ahu / Leilehua HS

49 Mauro Bondi PK 6-0 210 R-Sr. Boca Raton, Fla. / Nebraska

34 Jason Muraoka RB 5-7 190 R-Sr. Honolulu, O‘ahu / Franklin (Ind.)

28 Duke Bukoski WR 6-0 205 R-Sr. Honolulu, O‘ahu / Idaho State

69 Brenden Urban OL 6-1 305 R-Sr. Littleton, Colo. / Adams State

42 Justin Vele FB/TE 6-0 240 R-Sr. Honolulu, O‘ahu / Farrington HS

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

WarriorTyme wrote:
Am I mistaking or wasn’t Ikaika Woolsey recruited by the previous catching staff to be a QB for the run-n-shoot offense?
Correct, Woolsey was Mac's guy. It has nothing to do with being "Hawaiian," but IMO, Woolsey is very much like Bryant Moniz.

Chow's guys (QBs) are taller, stand still, and fire their rocket arm.

But going off of what you are saying, I'm not sure Woolsey would be JJ type of guy. Meaning, not exactly Rolo, Colt, or even Chang type of player.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

xer 21 wrote:
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:

thats exactly what im saying. no one questions this sentiment when talking of other sports. but it exists for ALL sports. Face it. there is a MASSIVE drop off once you get past the top ten. that's just reality.
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:

correct.
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
Must be depressing to be you, to view life every day with your glass half empty. Fill your glass up, dude.
you cant fill a glass up when you dont have enough water.
wailukuwarriorfan wrote: It's a game for student/athletes, a way for many to receive a college education,and for some, the only way to receive a college education.
so? im serious, so? there's tons of kids who werent born with the athletic talent to get a scholarship who cant afford it either. i'm supposed to overlook obvious deficiencies in our players on the grounds simply because you're assuming they're charity cases?
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
im not belittling him as a hobby, im explaining why he's not a good receiver. there's a difference. and acting like we need to protect a bunch of men from the harmful emotional arrows of a little internet criticism is more patronizing than my own opinions.
The number of players with D1 talent from Hawaii varies year to year, some years yielding lots of D1 football talent, and some years not as much. But I don't agree with your position that Hawaii is mediocre. If we are, why are so many mainland football programs recruiting here?

You also don't account for opportunities to develop players with potential either, which good coaches and better programs do. UH's walk on program, under Miano, developed many that excelled and we're game changers for UH. Drive, determination and a over-achieving work ethic can develop what you would call a "mediocre" player into a play maker. I like walk ons that become game changers.

Making judgements of players from high school, based on their high school body of work is also somewhat short-sighted. Making judgements on Ewaliko route running for example, being an Offensive POY three years in a row, then Chow puts him on defense. Then the following year, they move him to running back. Then they move him to WR. How do you develop consistency when they keep moving you from position to position?

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: But I don't agree with your position that Hawaii is mediocre. If we are, why are so many mainland football programs recruiting here?
because they're all gunning for the same top 10, maybe 15 prospects. very few come here to recruit the rest.
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
You also don't account for opportunities to develop players with potential either, which good coaches and better programs do.
we have neither good coaches, nor a better program, so it would probably behoove us to fix that before we start trying to run the program by hoping we can turn walk ons into stars.
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:

Making judgements of players from high school, based on their high school body of work is also somewhat short-sighted.
didnt you JUST do that to "prove" that Ewaliko could throw and to argue that he was so good because he went 22-0 against the MIL?
wailukuwarriorfan wrote: then Chow puts him on defense. Then the following year, they move him to running back. Then they move him to WR. How do you develop consistency when they keep moving you from position to position?
conversely, why should you stay at one position if you dont impress?

targets.

IFeelThat¿
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by IFeelThat¿ »

xer 21 wrote:
wailukuwarriorfan wrote: But I don't agree with your position that Hawaii is mediocre. If we are, why are so many mainland football programs recruiting here?
because they're all gunning for the same top 10, maybe 15 prospects. very few come here to recruit the rest.
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
You also don't account for opportunities to develop players with potential either, which good coaches and better programs do.
we have neither good coaches, nor a better program, so it would probably behoove us to fix that before we start trying to run the program by hoping we can turn walk ons into stars.
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:

Making judgements of players from high school, based on their high school body of work is also somewhat short-sighted.
didnt you JUST do that to "prove" that Ewaliko could throw and to argue that he was so good because he went 22-0 against the MIL?
wailukuwarriorfan wrote: then Chow puts him on defense. Then the following year, they move him to running back. Then they move him to WR. How do you develop consistency when they keep moving you from position to position?
Agreed with most you said xer21 other than your statement about colleges: "very few come here to recruit the rest." Very ignorant statement. I wouldn't blame you, you knew nothing about basketball last season and after I had to prove to you whether or not Quincy Smith is a good shooter...........

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I maybe wrong - but I recall reading somewhere that the State of Hawaii has produced the most football players per capita in the NFL (or D-1 college).
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

IFeelThat¿ wrote:
xer 21 wrote:
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:

Agreed with most you said xer21 other than your statement about colleges: "very few come here to recruit the rest." Very ignorant statement. I wouldn't blame you, you knew nothing about basketball last season and after I had to prove to you whether or not Quincy Smith is a good shooter...........
rebut me then.

all you proved about quincy last year is that you're so salty about whatever it is i said (hey, truth hurts) that you held onto it for a whole year just to bring it up now. Because i dont remember you at all.

targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

Grinch wrote:I maybe wrong - but I recall reading somewhere that the State of Hawaii has produced the most football players per capita in the NFL (or D-1 college).
sure. but that's per capita: we're a very small sate. california may have a lower rater, but they also have 30 million people. even if they produced three times less D1 players Per capita, they'd still produce 10 times more total D1 prospects.

when i say that most schools are only interested in the top prospects and the rest are mediocre, that doesnt necessarily disagree with that. we all forget just how many fewer high school football teams we have compared to other states.

targets.