UH to play Cal in Australia next year?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

UH to play Cal in Australia next year?

Post by Irse »

In talks with Cal. I don't see it though. To go there on Aug 27 and go to Michigan the next week is killers.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015 ... -australia
ImageImage

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: UH to play Cal in Australia next year?

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

On Sports Animals yesterday (9/24), they mentioned it. They said UH AD Dave Matlin would be on the show in the next couple of days, so they were hoping to talk to him about it. They did mention the concern about having such a long trip with the games they already had line up for next season. They mentioned that Matlin was trying to get NCAA to allow UH to start one week earlier this would make the UH 13th game exemption more attractive to teams.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I can't remember if UH has ever played Cal before. Maybe this is the only way that Cal will play us?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

My3Cats wrote:I can't remember if UH has ever played Cal before. Maybe this is the only way that Cal will play us?
They could play us in a bowl if the circumstances cause it to happen.

But anyway, DO IT. So what if means consecutive road games starting in Sydney, AUS, and ending in Ann Arbor, MI. At least we'll have a bye in 2016, won't we? If we started the season on September 3, 2016 and ended on November 26, 2016, we wouldn't.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

if this helps grease the wheels for changing the Hawaii Exemption, I'm all for it. It's probably still better than travelling to Wyoming...

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

poidog wrote:if this helps grease the wheels for changing the Hawaii Exemption, I'm all for it. It's probably still better than travelling to Wyoming...
I hope so. It'd prove that playing 13 games in 14 works won't exhaust teams. I the people in charge of CFB got rid of the "classic" games at the end of August (which ran from about the 1980s to early 2000s) because of the 12th game rule (and coaches claiming exhaustion).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

poidog wrote:if this helps grease the wheels for changing the Hawaii Exemption, I'm all for it. It's probably still better than travelling to Wyoming...
Hey, I resent that remark!!!! :x :x :x

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Another case of an AD with his head in the clouds? How many Australian recruits and FB fans? I think Japan is more attractive for fans and Samoan better for recruiting.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Who gives up the home game?

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

EITSwarrior wrote:Who gives up the home game?
Probably UH...they always get the shaft.

415hawaiiboy
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Giants
NFL: Niners

Post by 415hawaiiboy »

Palolo_2LA wrote:Another case of an AD with his head in the clouds? How many Australian recruits and FB fans? I think Japan is more attractive for fans and Samoan better for recruiting.

Tokyo, Japan will be 2017 if Hawaii gets this exemption to start the season one week earlier \:D/

Hawaii vs Oregon, UW or USC (or UCLA if we are not playing them that year). Teams with large traveling fan bases

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Palolo_2LA »

415hawaiiboy wrote:
Palolo_2LA wrote:Another case of an AD with his head in the clouds? How many Australian recruits and FB fans? I think Japan is more attractive for fans and Samoan better for recruiting.

Tokyo, Japan will be 2017 if Hawaii gets this exemption to start the season one week earlier \:D/

Hawaii vs Oregon, UW or USC (or UCLA if we are not playing them that year). Teams with large traveling fan bases
I am happy bout that (Japan 2017) lets hope its UW bc dont need a body bag game against SC again...need a game in Samoa too...tons of talent and Hawaii should have an inside track bc of the polynnesian connection.