wishbone offense

Post by kalua pig »

why not?

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Re: wishbone offense

Post by kalua pig »

the islands produce a lot of great undersized athletes.the best will go to the mainland.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

because its old, no one uses it, we wouldnt be recruiting those undersized athletes anyways because we actually want to be competitive, and its just not the kind of offense you can sell to recruits or fans.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

IMO, I think it has to do with how much more complex defenses are now a days. Defenses have figured out a bunch of different and newer ways of how to close down the gaps AA, B and C, for instance using a hybrid 3-4 with a big 0-tech in the middle to clog up the A-gaps. In a Wishbone you can really only line up in two formations and defenses now a days would quickly figure out or game plan against your offense.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

what is air force and navy running?

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Navy and Air Force and Army for that matter run those triple option attacks which is what Paul Johnson (Hawaii's former OC under Bob Wagner) runs at Georgia Tech (notice them in the top 25 this year and last). The academy schools have to run these kinds of offenses since they don't have the size on the OL to run the normal traditional offense. This gives a smaller team the opportunity to sort of even the playing field or at least give you a better chance to be successful against most Division 1 Schools. So these offenses are not outdated-the military academies still run them not to mention Georgia Tech and are still successful running them.
I look for Norm Chow to win at least 7 games this year however if he doesn't, Ken Niumatalolo could very well be Hawaii's next coach bringing the triple option attach back to Hawaii. But I think Norm wins at least 7 thereby saving his job.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Case in point, these were the top 10 rushing offenses during 2014:
1) Georgia Tech
2) Navy
3) Wisconsn
4) New Mexco
5) Army
6) Air Force
7) Marshall
8) Ohio State
9) Indiana
10) Oklahoma

GT, Navy, Army and Air Force make up the Top 6 of Rushing Offense - this is why they still run this offense.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

quikfeat wrote:Case in point, these were the top 10 rushing offenses during 2014:
1) Georgia Tech
2) Navy
3) Wisconsn
4) New Mexco
5) Army
6) Air Force
7) Marshall
8) Ohio State
9) Indiana
10) Oklahoma

GT, Navy, Army and Air Force make up the Top 6 of Rushing Offense - this is why they still run this offense.
But they can't pass worth anything. So when they get behind, they have a hard time coming back.
ImageImage

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

quikfeat wrote:Navy and Air Force and Army for that matter run those triple option attacks which is what Paul Johnson (Hawaii's former OC under Bob Wagner) runs at Georgia Tech (notice them in the top 25 this year and last). The academy schools have to run these kinds of offenses since they don't have the size on the OL to run the normal traditional offense. This gives a smaller team the opportunity to sort of even the playing field or at least give you a better chance to be successful against most Division 1 Schools. So these offenses are not outdated-the military academies still run them not to mention Georgia Tech and are still successful running them.
I look for Norm Chow to win at least 7 games this year however if he doesn't, Ken Niumatalolo could very well be Hawaii's next coach bringing the triple option attach back to Hawaii. But I think Norm wins at least 7 thereby saving his job.
Kenny is making more than UH can pay.
ImageImage

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

quikfeat wrote:Navy and Air Force and Army for that matter run those triple option attacks which is what Paul Johnson (Hawaii's former OC under Bob Wagner) runs at Georgia Tech (notice them in the top 25 this year and last). The academy schools have to run these kinds of offenses since they don't have the size on the OL to run the normal traditional offense. This gives a smaller team the opportunity to sort of even the playing field or at least give you a better chance to be successful against most Division 1 Schools. So these offenses are not outdated-the military academies still run them not to mention Georgia Tech and are still successful running them.
triple option.mahalo cuz.kenny said he was ready to come home.

quikfeat
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by quikfeat »

Even if they can't passs - it still gives them the best chance to move the chains since if they were to play straight up traditional offense - they probably would get shutout.

CoconutKid
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by CoconutKid »

kalua pig wrote:
triple option.mahalo cuz.kenny said he was ready to come home.
He has indicated in the press that he'd retire as Navy coach. And he makes WELL INTO 7 figures. No way we pay that kind of money. So unless he pulls a JJ and is willing to take significantly less...

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Triple option is typically reserved for programs that have extreme recruiting difficulties like Navy, Air Force, etc. Georgia TEch and New Mexico are outliers. I'm not totally against the system, but it's a guaranteed system to only win games occasionally. Air Force, Navy, etc....it's up and down, down and up. Same thing happened in the Wagner era. So sure, if you want it that's fine, but you'll have to acknowledge that this system won't bring consistent winning.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

J-Rod wrote:Triple option is typically reserved for programs that have extreme recruiting difficulties like Navy, Air Force, etc. Georgia TEch and New Mexico are outliers. I'm not totally against the system, but it's a guaranteed system to only win games occasionally. Air Force, Navy, etc....it's up and down, down and up. Same thing happened in the Wagner era. So sure, if you want it that's fine, but you'll have to acknowledge that this system won't bring consistent winning.
I'm no longer a fan of the triple option - it was great during the Wagner years - but it's still better than Chowball (consistent losing).
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

kalua pig
Starter
Starter

Post by kalua pig »

in the last 3 years air force and navy have gone to 5 bowl games combined.add georgia tech.i would consider the consistent winning.