gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Mariners
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Raiders

Akina update

Post by gambit_808 »

Don't know if this was already posted here. Coaching search ticker update.

Hawaii: Tonight could be Duane Akina's last game as the defensive backs coach at Texas. Akina, who is from Hawaii, has coached the secondary for the Longhorns since 2001. It will be interesting to see if Norm Chow offers Akina the defensive coordinator job. Akina coached at Hawaii for several years in the early 80's.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Re: Akina update

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

If Hawaii had the opportunity to get him, that would be great. Last summer, was on vacation and had a chance to speak and hangout with some former players of Duane Akina from his days at Arizona. They all spoke very highly of him and said that he was a really good players coach and that he really knew his defense and that they were disappointed he didn’t get the job at Hawaii. They gave him a lot of the credit for the great defenses they had at the time at Arizona.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

That would be awesome to get Duane Akina in the door. He's been a defensive coach in some very successful programs. He would do a great job at Hawaii. Also, when Norm Chow gets let go, Duane will have already been in the program. It's all maika'i!

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Did he apply? I think that the job position openings have closed and that they are in the process of reviewing applicants.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I hope he applied for the DC and Kurt Gouveia for the LB
ImageImage

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Kurt was the consummate grinder and student of the game who willed himself to succeed in college and in the NFL. He provides instant credibility for LB recruits, much like Chris Naeole for OL. Didn't Norm Chow recruit Kurt to BYU?

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

He may be looking for a job with Louisville hiring Petrino. The current DC there also applied for the HC job. This was the reason for not accepting the invitation to go to Texas. But now things have changed and if he goes to Texas Akina might be let go because coach Bedford also handles the defensive backs.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: