WHo would you like as a DC?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: WHo would you like as a DC?

Post by dcwarrior »

I was at the Navy-UH game. Their consensus was that their players were simply better than Army's mostly because Navy will make accommodations if a graduated player wants to turn pro - such as having the option to serve in the Navy Reserve in a PR capacity - and Army doesn't.

At Army, Ellerson simply did not have the horses.
hawaiian wrote:Nisei,

Rich Ellerson = defensive minded coach (check his experience)

Rich Ellerson at Army = he ran the defense (or had a lot to say about it)

What does this mean to you: he couldn't stop our offense when Mack coached 'em and he couldn't stop our offense now that Chow is coaching 'em!

In summary, Rich Ellerson isn't even being thought of as a candidate...enough said!
Substance matters.

Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by Makana »

SundayJam wrote:
Dudes, we had great assistants so that argument is bunk. Our decrepit coach decided to fire them all and hire only coaches with losing records. Well, he did keep the one assistant coach from the last staff that the least experience. Now Tuioti's fired. Whoa, what a surprise...

Also, teams like Utah State, San Jose State, Fresno State, and Nevada hardly out spend us. Oh wait...those are junk teams that could beat us occasionally. That's why we fired McMackin because we lost close games to those teams. We just need to be Boise State. Yeah, okay...
We had great assistant, mmmmmm okay I believe you. :roll:

No, I think they fired McMackin cause he proved mediocre and if Chow didn't have such a high salary he'd be gone too.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

With the Sark bringing in his own linebackers coach from Wash I would go after Mike Ekeler USC linebackers coach who some feel may be looking for a job also has DC experience and have coached at big programs. I remember when Aranda took over as our DC he also took over as the linebacker coach and Cal was moved to DEs. I like the idea of a DC being able to coach up our linebackers.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

One of the Tsai bloggers posted this info and it pretty telling how low paying University of Hawaii.

Norwood makes $483,994
Akina makes $439,500
Jeff Ulbrich makes $400,000
Kalani Sitake makes $500,000
Mark Banker makes $490,000

According to ST "UH doesn't have $300,000 for a DC"

Assistant coaches salaries
http://www.usatoday.com/sports...caaf/assistant/

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

WarriorTyme wrote:One of the Tsai bloggers posted this info and it pretty telling how low paying University of Hawaii.

Norwood makes $483,994
Akina makes $439,500
Jeff Ulbrich makes $400,000
Kalani Sitake makes $500,000
Mark Banker makes $490,000

According to ST "UH doesn't have $300,000 for a DC"

Assistant coaches salaries
http://www.usatoday.com/sports...caaf/assistant/
Especially when we pay $100,000 for a non existent OC.
ImageImage

Marauder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Marauder »

What about Bob Gregory - linebacker coach at Boise, acting interim head coach for Boise in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl. Former Cal Bears Defensive coordinator. He is also familiar with Mountain West offenses. He could coach both the linebackers and be the defensive coordinator, so maybe there would not be a pay cut if he came here.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makana wrote:
SundayJam wrote:
Dudes, we had great assistants so that argument is bunk. Our decrepit coach decided to fire them all and hire only coaches with losing records. Well, he did keep the one assistant coach from the last staff that the least experience. Now Tuioti's fired. Whoa, what a surprise...

Also, teams like Utah State, San Jose State, Fresno State, and Nevada hardly out spend us. Oh wait...those are junk teams that could beat us occasionally. That's why we fired McMackin because we lost close games to those teams. We just need to be Boise State. Yeah, okay...
We had great assistant, mmmmmm okay I believe you. :roll:

No, I think they fired McMackin cause he proved mediocre and if Chow didn't have such a high salary he'd be gone too.
Sadly, UH and its mediocre fan base couldn't see that the WAC had become that much more competitive. Now, instead of losing a close game to a competitive team, we get blown out by everyone but Army. I would take Miano, Aranda, and Rolovich over any of the clowns Chow has hired. =;

Chow has such a high salary?!!! They paid McMackin half a million to walk away. Mack should've stuck it to them for the whole million, but he was a gracious once-warrior.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

SundayJam wrote: Sadly, UH and its mediocre fan base couldn't see that the WAC had become that much more competitive. Now, instead of losing a close game to a competitive team, we get blown out by everyone but Army. I would take Miano, Aranda, and Rolovich over any of the clowns Chow has hired. =;

Chow has such a high salary?!!! They paid McMackin half a million to walk away. Mack should've stuck it to them for the whole million, but he was a gracious once-warrior.
+1

Although the teams in the MWC was once all in the WAC, that basically left the WAC with mediocre teams. As far as the fans, well that falls on the board to come up with solutions to bring the crowd out to the stadium. Coach McMackin was a good coach who gave opportunities to young coaches who would one day fill the shoes of a head coach in a D1 program. The corrupted people who sit behind the desk and twittle there thumb all day is the ones to thank for the failing results of a program that wasn't broken.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Fresno learned that when playing better teams you have to have a legit running game. Just like Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl the RnS pass happy team QB gets lit up by better opponent talent, Carr was running for his life and not comfortable in the pocket against USC. No running game to help Carr/Colt was doom for both pass happy teams.

That USC DC look really good and USC played hard for coach Ed Orgeron too.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote:Mack should've stuck it to them for the whole million, but he was a gracious once-warrior.
Or, maybe he was compelled to take a buyout or risk getting terminated for cause? I think there was enough evidence to at least make a case in court questioning his declining competence to lead the program. I mean, who walks away from that much money?

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

poidog wrote:
SundayJam wrote:Mack should've stuck it to them for the whole million, but he was a gracious once-warrior.
Or, maybe he was compelled to take a buyout or risk getting terminated for cause? I think there was enough evidence to at least make a case in court questioning his declining competence to lead the program. I mean, who walks away from that much money?
Uhmm...because he was a...gracious warrior? Mack fielded competitive teams and set up a winning staff for years to come. Our competitors knew it...it's why Mack's staff were instantly offered top positions which have and will come back to haunt us for years to come.

If a head coach could get terminated for cause it would be Norm Chow. Pah leaze....Which begs the question, why doesn't Norm Chow graciously bow out?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

SundayJam wrote:
poidog wrote:
Uhmm...because he was a...gracious warrior? Mack fielded competitive teams and set up a winning staff for years to come. Our competitors knew it...it's why Mack's staff were instantly offered top positions which have and will come back to haunt us for years to come.

If a head coach could get terminated for cause it would be Norm Chow. Pah leaze....Which begs the question, why doesn't Norm Chow graciously bow out?
I agree with you 100% about Mack fielding competitive teams and that he had a great staff (I'm a Miano guy, after all...). But in spite of all of that, I think his ability to lead the program was rapidly declining and the Mack we had at the end of 2011 was much different from the one we had in 2008. People get old, and some age better (or worse) than others. It happens.

But as for Norm Chow? if he had only one season left on his contract, he'd be retired early just like Mack was. Unfortunately for us, Chow hasn't used any gay slurs or embarrassed himself enough times in interviews to be afraid of being terminated for cause... yet.

hawaiian
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hawaiian »

AGAIN, DARONTE' JONES...the answer is already here!!!!!!!