The biggest coaching mistake chow made, that's overlooked.

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: The biggest coaching mistake chow made, that's overlooke

Post by xer 21 »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
How does UH win games? Run Joey less? He's one of the few bright spots on offense.

Maybe you should be the one to let it go. Joey will help us win games, with the right QB playing.
this thread isnt about winning games. i gave up on that, and i honestly dont care at this point.

what i DO care about is making sure that Iosefa doesnt get seriously injured, because we need him next year and he doesnt deserve to have another season cut short because Chow's too indifferent to the fact that his player are in fact human beings with human limits.

if Joey keeps carrying this kind of load, especially since these are plays between the tackles, i would not be surprised to seem him reinjure his foot, get a concussion, or sustain a major knee injury just based on the hits he's taking.

we need to protect our players.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

o, we dont need to keep arguing about ewaliko. my bad on that one, i dont want this to turn out like the scout board.

targets.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

xer 21 wrote:
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
How does UH win games? Run Joey less? He's one of the few bright spots on offense.

Maybe you should be the one to let it go. Joey will help us win games, with the right QB playing.
this thread isnt about winning games. i gave up on that, and i honestly dont care at this point.

what i DO care about is making sure that Iosefa doesnt get seriously injured, because we need him next year and he doesnt deserve to have another season cut short because Chow's too indifferent to the fact that his player are in fact human beings with human limits.

if Joey keeps carrying this kind of load, especially since these are plays between the tackles, i would not be surprised to seem him reinjure his foot, get a concussion, or sustain a major knee injury just based on the hits he's taking.

we need to protect our players.
I would still like to see us win at least one game this season . . . Elisara, with his size and speed, could give Joey a break once in a while, if he was given an opportunity.

And using Diocemy St. Juste to the perimeter with his speed.

What we need is a Coaching staff that is able to evaluate the players on the roster, then use the players that we have to their strengths, to win games.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

EITSwarrior wrote:No point in arguing with wailuku about Ewaliko. It's reached a Skip Bayless- Tim Tebow level of love. No amount of facts or rational opinion will change his mind.
EITS,

I have no words for you, so here you go. . . :bootyshake:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:No point in arguing with wailuku about Ewaliko. It's reached a Skip Bayless- Tim Tebow level of love. No amount of facts or rational opinion will change his mind.
EITS,

I have no words for you, so here you go. . . :bootyshake:
Glad to see you're not taking this personal. Stay classy bro.

ono
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ono »

go 4 recvr set
use clark evens in slot
bill ray stutz in slot or harding
one back: iosefa
spread the field. short passes will open up gant / stutz on the outside more
dont let GA'S call plays or decide who is in or not
let qb and recvers/rb get in a grove. dont keep subbing so much.

\:D/

bow89
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bow89 »

People talk about coaches changing their philosophy to fit personnel, but there are many successful coaches that force players to buy into their system. If Norm is comfortable with his system, it would not make sense to change to fit a different style. When June came in, the players were not necessarily recruited to play in the R&S, but he did not use a pro style offense just to fit his personnel. When Paul Johnson came to Hawaii, he still ran the option even though Garrett Gabriel and Warren Jones were not recruited for that system. Urban Meyer made Chris Leak run the spread option. You can argue that Norm will never win with his system, but to say that coaches should change their offensive philosophy to fit players who were left behind by a previous coach does not make sense.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

bow89 wrote:People talk about coaches changing their philosophy to fit personnel, but there are many successful coaches that force players to buy into their system. If Norm is comfortable with his system, it would not make sense to change to fit a different style. When June came in, the players were not necessarily recruited to play in the R&S, but he did not use a pro style offense just to fit his personnel. When Paul Johnson came to Hawaii, he still ran the option even though Garrett Gabriel and Warren Jones were not recruited for that system. Urban Meyer made Chris Leak run the spread option. You can argue that Norm will never win with his system, but to say that coaches should change their offensive philosophy to fit players who were left behind by a previous coach does not make sense.
I guess it doesn't make sense to be 0-10 leading up to a winless season.

bow89
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bow89 »

The losses have just as much if not more to do with the defense than the offense. The offense is scoring more points than last year, but the defense is still giving up a whole lot of points. In the last 6 games using the R&S our team scored 16, 31, 28, 21, 23 and 20 points. In our last six games this year we have scored 27, 37, 28, 10, 28 and 21 points against better competition. It is easy to have selective perception and believe that we were scoring a ton of points running the R&S with the players left over from Mac's regime, but we were not. I am not saying that Norm is doing a good job, because clearly the results are poor, but it is not because he changed the offense. You can say that the offense is boring, and that would be a valid criticism, but fans were not coming out to see a losing R&S team either.

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

Scheme? Players? Coaching?

The 3 main component of your program's success. Chows scheme has worked before in other places, so its not the scheme. Maybe the players to fit it or the coaches to implement it could be the problem. All 3 need to be in unison.

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

Scheme? Players? Coaching?

The 3 main component of your program's success. Chows scheme has worked before in other places, so its not the scheme. Maybe the players to fit it or the coaches to implement it could be the problem. All 3 need to be in unison.

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

bow89 wrote:The losses have just as much if not more to do with the defense than the offense. The offense is scoring more points than last year, but the defense is still giving up a whole lot of points. In the last 6 games using the R&S our team scored 16, 31, 28, 21, 23 and 20 points. In our last six games this year we have scored 27, 37, 28, 10, 28 and 21 points against better competition. It is easy to have selective perception and believe that we were scoring a ton of points running the R&S with the players left over from Mac's regime, but we were not. I am not saying that Norm is doing a good job, because clearly the results are poor, but it is not because he changed the offense. You can say that the offense is boring, and that would be a valid criticism, but fans were not coming out to see a losing R&S team either.
If you look closer at the numbers, the D is not good but it's much more highly ranked than the O on yards per play, 3rd down efficiency, red zone efficiency and several other measures.

I think the D is getting worn down and overused, and that's what accounts for the bad yardage and scoring stats for the D. Basically, the O doesn't move the ball consistently and score, which puts the D in a bind.
Substance matters.

808havok
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808havok »

dcwarrior wrote:
bow89 wrote:If you look closer at the numbers, the D is not good but it's much more highly ranked than the O on yards per play, 3rd down efficiency, red zone efficiency and several other measures.

I think the D is getting worn down and overused, and that's what accounts for the bad yardage and scoring stats for the D. Basically, the O doesn't move the ball consistently and score, which puts the D in a bind.
i'll know more when i see the whole field next week but from what i've seen this season, yes, maybe the offense is scoring more points than last year, but they seem to come in bunches and usually are on the losing side of ball possession.

chow's offense, when working right, should be grinding, punch em' in da' mouth, football and score. his offense is meant to tire out the OPPONENT'S defense... that is perhaps where the (over)use of iosefa is coming from.

BUT... over 11 games, our opponents OWN the ball on average 34:01 vs hawaii's possession of 25:58. that's 8:03 the defense doesn't need to be on the field... this with poor 3rd down conversion rates spells doom for most defenses.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

bow89 wrote:The losses have just as much if not more to do with the defense than the offense. The offense is scoring more points than last year, but the defense is still giving up a whole lot of points. In the last 6 games using the R&S our team scored 16, 31, 28, 21, 23 and 20 points. In our last six games this year we have scored 27, 37, 28, 10, 28 and 21 points against better competition. It is easy to have selective perception and believe that we were scoring a ton of points running the R&S with the players left over from Mac's regime, but we were not. I am not saying that Norm is doing a good job, because clearly the results are poor, but it is not because he changed the offense. You can say that the offense is boring, and that would be a valid criticism, but fans were not coming out to see a losing R&S team either.
its not really about the points so much as it is about a lack of consistency and putting the defense in terrible spots.

targets.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

xer 21 wrote:He needs to stop running Joey Iosefa.

Not completely, obviously, but 30+ carries a night is ridiculous.  Joey is GOING to get hurt if this keeps up, and yes, i know we only have two games left.  last night, he was taking HUGE hits on many runs.  and yes, he often stayed up right and kept chruning, but those hits add up.  i dont care if he's built damn near like a lineman, if you run 30-35 plays a night where someone's hitting you full speed, you're going to get hurt.  there's a reason offenses have started to platoon backfields more.  Joey's just increasing his risk of concussion or freak plays.

i've not seen a single player all year in CFB get 35 carries in a game.  or last year.  Joey just did it twice, and you could see how torn up he was at the end of the game.

Chow needs to suck it up and run the other running backs in there, no matter how well Iosefa is playing, for HIS safety and well being.

We might as well get rid of football completely. It only takes one hit to ruin someones life. I agree that Norm needs another Joey to lighten up the load. With two backs like that we would be very dangerous to everyone with the running game. That usually opens up the passing game. Maybe Lakalaka will be more helpful next year. Plus get another speed back to run the perimeters. Inside and outside effective running will kill a defense and win many games.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”