Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: What is "Being Local" mean to you?

Post by UnBiasFan »

xer 21 wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote: ... When we were threatened with the Tsunami recently she was crying as she watched it on TV. I asked her why and she said, "I don't want to see any part of our islands destroyed," and bawled. What's more local than that?
... being the only guy paddling out with the Tsunami coming and having all the cameras focused on you ... then having the TV guys making fun of you as the idiot for paddling out ... meanwhile, all the TV guys are having non-stop coverage of a Tsunami that has already measured only 0.3 meters on faraway islands in its path
that's just being a dumbass, not being local.
Even if the bradduh has an "Eddie would go" sticker on the truck?

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

UnBiasFan wrote:Even if the bradduh has an "Eddie would go" sticker on the truck?
I see this guy with an "Eddie would go" sticker on his car occasionally down the street from me.....he's also probably the whitest dude on the street too.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

I think there are two "local" cultures. One being middle/upper class and the other being lower class. Lower class is one I can't stand and neither should you. I can elaborate further if need be.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

P.S. Can somebody (like me) who hates plate lunches be considered local? Can somebody who lives on the island but never goes to the beach (like some users here) for 15-20 years be considered local?

tavarua88
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tavarua88 »

all these reasons are exactly why this sentiment of "not being local" enough are crude and a cheap way of attempting to separate themselves from others; its the old argument of "no true scotman would..."

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

tavarua88 wrote:all these reasons are exactly why this sentiment of "not being local" enough are crude and a cheap way of attempting to separate themselves from others; its the old argument of "no true scotman would..."
....be Bloody Irish! :wink:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

When everything you eat, sleep, and do iz a winnah!

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

FASBOY'90 wrote:When everything you eat, sleep, and do iz a winnah!
then no one related to our football team is local.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

xer 21 wrote:
:lol: :lol: .....some where ova da rainbow!
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

xer 21 wrote:
Our team is a winnah.....at heart. Maybe not onto on peppa. Idk about da coach cuz he da one driving da kawila.

krazychinaman
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Phillies
NBA: None
NFL: Patriots

Post by krazychinaman »

I say if you understand the hawaii way you can live the hawaii way...and you call hawaii home you are local..

I was born in Hong kong move there at the age of 9...and left at the age of 19.....now 5 year has pass i still miss "home" very much!

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:I think there are two "local" cultures. One being middle/upper class and the other being lower class. Lower class is one I can't stand and neither should you. I can elaborate further if need be.
Just curious. Can you please elaborate?

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

giversgain wrote:
FatherofCody&Casey wrote:I think there are two "local" cultures. One being middle/upper class and the other being lower class. Lower class is one I can't stand and neither should you. I can elaborate further if need be.
I think he is talking about ghetto acting local v. non-ghetto local. I think he is going to put his foot in his mouth here if he elaborates.

I have a problem with the lower class thing he speaks of. A lot of people are surviving in Hawaii at below poverty income. That doesn't make them ghetto. (Acting ghetto would be like leaving your trash all over the place or wrecking the bathrooms or something like that). Plenty people grow up rich and still act like trash.
Last edited by UnBiasFan on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

UnBiasFan wrote:
giversgain wrote:
I think he is talking about ghetto acting local v. non-ghetto local. I think he is going to put his foot in his mouth here if he elaborates.

I have a problem with the lower class thing he speaks of. A lot of people are surviving in Hawaii at below poverty income. That doesn't make them ghetto. (Acting ghetto would be like leaving your trash all over the place or wrecking the bathrooms or something like that)

Yes, I know. I just want to hear his point of view.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

krazychinaman wrote:I say if you understand the hawaii way you can live the hawaii way...and you call hawaii home you are local..

I was born in Hong kong move there at the age of 9...and left at the age of 19.....now 5 year has pass i still miss "home" very much!
5 years already! wow... seems like yesterday you were trying to pass your certification exams.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com