krazychinaman
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Phillies
NBA: None
NFL: Patriots

Re: Can we bring back the Run & Shoot?

Post by krazychinaman »

ok dont get me wrong about what i am about to say....IF that is a BIG IF...some how chow get fire.....rolo get my vote as HC....he be OC elsewhere long enough i think he might be good...

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

After all that, we just need to find some assistant coaches that can recruit.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

no offensive scheme works if you don't execute. Pro, West Coast, R&S, Spread, and Option none of these will win games unless the players execute............it is all about 1) getting the right personnel 2) getting experience 3) execution 4) getting play makers.

You don't have the right players after 1 year of recruiting. You don't have experience after just one year of games. Execution is the big problem right now. And we don't have enough play makers.......especially on offense.

The disciple is getting there, minimal penalties and minimal fumbles right now. And the attitude is getting there.

We need at LEAST one more year of experience. Usually two more years of experience is the standard.

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

madeinhawaii wrote:
Haynr8dr wrote:Actually, if you're paying close attention, just as often as not the offense is spread out much like the R&S.
Yep.. except Chow isn't fooling anyone. They know he's just disguising some pro-set play. You might see it as a spread offense... the opposing defense sees it as porous.
Exactly. A formation is not the same as an offensive philosophy.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

TheDuke wrote:no offensive scheme works if you don't execute. Pro, West Coast, R&S, Spread, and Option none of these will win games unless the players execute............it is all about 1) getting the right personnel 2) getting experience 3) execution 4) getting play makers.

You don't have the right players after 1 year of recruiting. You don't have experience after just one year of games. Execution is the big problem right now. And we don't have enough play makers.......especially on offense.

The disciple is getting there, minimal penalties and minimal fumbles right now. And the attitude is getting there.

We need at LEAST one more year of experience. Usually two more years of experience is the standard.
I see it as more of a coaching problem. As a coach they should know that they don't have all the right players to run the offense as they would like, so make adjustments accordingly, especially during the course of the game. Put the players in a position to succeed.

That's the problem I've seen last year and so far this year. I will be more concerned, actually irritated, if I don't see improvment in that area in the next two games since Nevada and Fresno are our "equals".

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

EITSwarrior wrote:
TheDuke wrote:no offensive scheme works if you don't execute. Pro, West Coast, R&S, Spread, and Option none of these will win games unless the players execute............it is all about 1) getting the right personnel 2) getting experience 3) execution 4) getting play makers.

I see it as more of a coaching problem. As a coach they should know that they don't have all the right players to run the offense as they would like, so make adjustments accordingly, especially during the course of the game. Put the players in a position to succeed.

That's the problem I've seen last year and so far this year. I will be more concerned, actually irritated, if I don't see improvment in that area in the next two games since Nevada and Fresno are our "equals".
I agree. You make best use of the talent you have on hand. You mold your offense/defense based on the talent you have the the depth of talent you have at each position. Always remembering that the strength of the whole is only as good as it's weakest link. Create mismatches against the opponent whenever possible. Play to your strengths so that your opponent has to focus your strengths and not your weaknesses.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

We are only a couple of games away from pulling it together and dominating the MWC.

You folks need to chill out.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UnBiasFan wrote:We are only a couple of games away from pulling it together and dominating the MWC.

Dominating? Talk about needing to chill out. Give me a second offensive touchdown in one game and then, maybe we will start to "chill out".

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

EITSwarrior wrote:
UnBiasFan wrote:We are only a couple of games away from pulling it together and dominating the MWC.

Dominating? Talk about needing to chill out. Give me a second offensive touchdown in one game and then, maybe we will start to "chill out".

Give me a break. We have played higher conference foes with a new QB and inexperienced receivers.

Did it occur to you that ----> The Trojans have amassed 12 sacks through the first three games (2nd in the nation) along with 28 tackles for loss (6th nationally) shifting the line of scrimmage.

I think the fans that start blowing a bunch of noise about new offensive schemes two games into the year are full of it.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UnBiasFan wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:

Give me a break. We have played higher conference foes with a new QB and inexperienced receivers.

Did it occur to you that ----> The Trojans have amassed 12 sacks through the first three games (2nd in the nation) along with 28 tackles for loss (6th nationally) shifting the line of scrimmage.

I think the fans that start blowing a bunch of noise about new offensive schemes two games into the year are full of it.
Did it occur to you that the same Oregon St team that beat us, lost to Eastern Washington. And may I add that that USC defense has played UH, Wazzu and Biston College. Not something to really tip your hat to.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

These kind of discussions just get stupid.

Next thing I am suppose to say is that Washington State almost beat Auburn..... blah blah blah

You folks in this thread giving up on this offense after a first game loss to USC and a road loss to Oregon State are just plain wrong.

You will be proven wrong as the season progresses.

I will be sure to bump this idiotic thread in a few games.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

UnBiasFan wrote:These kind of discussions just get stupid.

Next thing I am suppose to say is that Washington State almost beat Auburn..... blah blah blah

You folks in this thread giving up on this offense after a first game loss to USC and a road loss to Oregon State are just plain wrong.

You will be proven wrong as the season progresses.

I will be sure to bump this idiotic thread in a few games.
I'm sure you will after UH puts up 4 touchdowns on the like of UNLV or whoever like them. Very impressive.

BTW if you take threads like these seriously then you may have a problem. These are just topics that get us through the pain and suffering.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

I think it is a matter of having realistic expectations.

But I fully expect to have an offense that is capable of 3 or 4 touchdowns soon enough. The guy can throw the ball. He and the receivers just need a little more playing time to start connecting.

If our defense stays healthy, we will win our share of games. Hawaii bowl? We got decent chance.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

UnBiasFan wrote:I think it is a matter of having realistic expectations.

But I fully expect to have an offense that is capable of 3 or 4 touchdowns soon enough. The guy can throw the ball. He and the receivers just need a little more playing time to start connecting.

If our defense stays healthy, we will win our share of games. Hawaii bowl? We got decent chance.
I think your argument belongs elsewhere. The topic is simply "Can we bring back the Run & Shoot." It doesn't say if we are or are not successful. It doesn't hinge on the success of the Pro Set. It's just a question and you are off topic.

I don't think we can bring back the RnS the way it used to be or the way we were accustomed to it. Not many run the scheme anymore. Even Rolo may not lean that way, anymore. The Pistol has its own set of advantages. Most of the progressive offensives regardless of styles (pro, one back, spread, read option, air raid, etc.) are starting to package plays. Each package based on a single alignment with multiple options that are decided at the line depending on how the defense lines up. We need an OC that can create multiple packages that are creative yet simple. We also need Qbacks that can read the defense and make the right call on what option in the package to use.

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

I think Rolo seems to be doing the pistol but making the pass plays more effective by having them use RNS concepts. The basic RNS can be very simple, especially if a D already has to worry about the run.

I think the basic change that the modern offenses have is one in philosophy - in most of the non-option, non-RNS offenses, the OC designs a lot of plays, each which have a predetermined set of basic plays and a set of things that the QB audibles to depending on the read.

The package play takes away the calling of the perfect play by the OC and puts decision making on the QB. This could get very complicated very quickly, so the offenses tend to have relatively few of these plays. everybody other than the QB can concentrate on knowing their roles in relatively few plays and so you have fewer execution problems.

But because it takes away from the power of the OC, somehow I think that Chow would not like it.
madeinhawaii wrote:
I think your argument belongs elsewhere. The topic is simply "Can we bring back the Run & Shoot." It doesn't say if we are or are not successful. It doesn't hinge on the success of the Pro Set. It's just a question and you are off topic.

I don't think we can bring back the RnS the way it used to be or the way we were accustomed to it. Not many run the scheme anymore. Even Rolo may not lean that way, anymore. The Pistol has its own set of advantages. Most of the progressive offensives regardless of styles (pro, one back, spread, read option, air raid, etc.) are starting to package plays. Each package based on a single alignment with multiple options that are decided at the line depending on how the defense lines up. We need an OC that can create multiple packages that are creative yet simple. We also need Qbacks that can read the defense and make the right call on what option in the package to use.
Substance matters.