Hawaii Bowl Attendance Concerns

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hawaii Bowl Attendance Concerns

Post by J-Rod »

Lots of talk going around that the Hawaii Bowl will feature San Jose State and a C-USA school, likely Rice or SMU. The Spartans are a very good team this year, but even so still struggle mightily to get butts in the seats. One has to think the chances of them bringing lots of fans to Hawaii are not good. SMU has proven to travel well, Rice on the other hand....eesh...

There is a good chance the Hawaii Bowl could have a very dismal attendance. Like 10K-15K bad. Getting to a bowl game is a must in 2013....or this bowl may fold.

Kama'aina UH
Starter
Starter
MLB: Angels/Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Re: Hawaii Bowl Attendance Concerns

Post by Kama'aina UH »

J-Rod wrote:Lots of talk going around that the Hawaii Bowl will feature San Jose State and a C-USA school, likely Rice or SMU. The Spartans are a very good team this year, but even so still struggle mightily to get butts in the seats. One has to think the chances of them bringing lots of fans to Hawaii are not good. SMU has proven to travel well, Rice on the other hand....eesh...

There is a good chance the Hawaii Bowl could have a very dismal attendance. Like 10K-15K bad. Getting to a bowl game is a must in 2013....or this bowl may fold.
I was poking around the SJSU Scout site and read their attendance has been ranging from 8K to a max of 15K (BYU). Avg. isn't much more than 10K this year. Considering how well SJSU is doing you'd expect more. Also the NCAA dictates you have to have an avg. of 15K in attendance to stay D1/FBS-sheesh, and we thought we had it bad.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

The jokers that made the decision should have thought about this before they fired coach Mac and got rid of the R&S. They didn't.

QbreakN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by QbreakN »

TheDuke wrote:The jokers that made the decision should have thought about this before they fired coach Mac and got rid of the R&S. They didn't.
because mac would have totally made it to a bowl game this year right?

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

QbreakN wrote:
TheDuke wrote:The jokers that made the decision should have thought about this before they fired coach Mac and got rid of the R&S. They didn't.
We'll never know. The RnS would have made us much more competitive and we do not know what JuCo players Mack, Rolo and Company could pull out of the hat. Woolsey might have been our starter, too.

It's a moot point... too bad, we'll never know.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

glockguy
All-conference
All-conference

Post by glockguy »

Would hawaii ever get invited to a bowl if there were no Hawaii bowl? Isn't that why it was created, to have a guaranteed bowl for hawaii if it was eligible? This would be bad news if the bowl goes away.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

I believe we would have made it to the Hawaii Bowl.

As part of the MWC we can make it to other Bowl games because there are guaranteed slots if you finish 1-2-3 at least.

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

madeinhawaii wrote:
QbreakN wrote:
We'll never know. The RnS would have made us much more competitive and we do not know what JuCo players Mack, Rolo and Company could pull out of the hat. Woolsey might have been our starter, too.

All season you cry for Chow to put in Graves because he would have led the team to a bowl games. If not its Higgins or Shutter... Now you are saying Woolsey might have been the starter?
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down - Bob

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

J-Rod wrote:Lots of talk going around that the Hawaii Bowl will feature San Jose State and a C-USA school, likely Rice or SMU. The Spartans are a very good team this year, but even so still struggle mightily to get butts in the seats. One has to think the chances of them bringing lots of fans to Hawaii are not good. SMU has proven to travel well, Rice on the other hand....eesh...

Please provide the link for the San Jose St rumor. The MWC has 4 bowl eligible teams and while in the WAC Boise St and Fresno St both expressed interest in the Hawaii Bowl. Don't see a WAC team coming here. If anything, some of their bowl eligible teams may be left out in the bowl season
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down - Bob

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

I purchase two Hawaii bowl tickets every year to support the bowl. Duke is right, the Hawaii Bowl is will be on life support soon if UH doesn't qualify soon. I seen next years record as 3-10 so scratch next year. The future looks dim for the Hawaii Bowl.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Small~Axe wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote:

All season you cry for Chow to put in Graves because he would have led the team to a bowl games. If not its Higgins or Shutter... Now you are saying Woolsey might have been the starter?
I'm not a Graves fan.. never was. You got the wrong person. I always said he throws too many picks and thought one of the other two might do better in the RnS. Tsai also said that Woolsey would have been the starter under Mack.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Desert Isle
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Diamondbacks
NBA: Suns
NFL: Cardinals

Post by Desert Isle »

J-Rod wrote:Lots of talk going around that the Hawaii Bowl will feature San Jose State and a C-USA school, likely Rice or SMU.
I've seen the projections putting SMU in the Hawai'i Bowl again. What do you guys think about June Jones coming back again? Will it make local fans complain about Chow more, or will no one care because the "June is back" story already happened 3 years ago?

808havok
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808havok »

i believe smu accept a hawaii bowl invitation.

they'll probably face either fresno st. or boise st....

Desert Isle
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Diamondbacks
NBA: Suns
NFL: Cardinals

Post by Desert Isle »

808havok wrote:i believe smu accept a hawaii bowl invitation.
Yep, it's official now:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... awaii-bowl

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Sounds like Fresno is right behind them.......Vegas will take Boise win or loss against Nevada. Bronco fans travel better.

Fresno vs. SMU. Interesting.....future "Big East" matchup? Bulldogs have been rumored as an expansion addition for the Big East.

EDIT: Yep....its Fresno.

https://twitter.com/Banteola_TheBee/sta ... 3609332738