June

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
JuneSMU
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

June

Post by JuneSMU »

Hey guys, can you please take June back? He's done some nice things but now it's time for him to go. No way we can make it to the next level with him at the helm.

Seriously, was he this lazy at recruiting in Hawaii? Now have a bunch of 2* for our commits. He has run off at least 3 QB's. Supposed to be a QB guru?? Hasn't recruited one. Got a favor from his buddy from the Lions that his kid happen to be leaving UT. Jury is out on him.
Getting our butts kicked and not even being competitive. He had one foot out the door last year.

Thanks!

SMUfan

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Re: June

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Until the state and school give the football program complete support, June ain't ever coming back!

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Mariners
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Raiders

Post by gambit_808 »

Who is june?

I would like june back. My July and August too.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

June

Link
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

Hey partner, I feel for you. I just told the folks here that going back to June and the RNS is not the solution to our loses to USC and Nevada. Some like the RNS because of the big stats it puts up. While true, other DC's have found the counter.

Also in 9 years in Hawaii, 4 at SMU and 4 Mack's years running the RNS, no QB has played in a regular season NFL game.

We were told that Big Time QB's would flock after the RNS. Not so.

While I'll always appreciate what he did at Hawaii, I wouldn't want him back.
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down - Bob

JuneSMU
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JuneSMU »

Small~Axe wrote:Hey partner, I feel for you. I just told the folks here that going back to June and the RNS is not the solution to our loses to USC and Nevada. Some like the RNS because of the big stats it puts up. While true, other DC's have found the counter.

Also in 9 years in Hawaii, 4 at SMU and 4 Mack's years running the RNS, no QB has played in a regular season NFL game.

We were told that Big Time QB's would flock after the RNS. Not so.

While I'll always appreciate what he did at Hawaii, I wouldn't want him back.
Thank you for a real response. I am being serious and wanted to get your thoughts. Seems to me like kids come and go and it takes a long while to get all the players (WRs, QB and OL) to synch. When they do it works out ok but doesn't seem like a system that works against BCS teams most of the time.
We can typically beat the Rice and the Tulane, but other than that - he has really only had 2-3 good wins in 5 years.

Is Hawaii still running the same type of system? I haven't watched in Hawaii games in a while.

Thanks

Don't get me wrong, he was the perfect guy to get us out of the gutter, but not the guy to get us any further. We are in prime recruiting ground and have barely even sniffed any kids that are really good 4* types.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Hang in there. I'm sure SMU will look for another head coach once they get into the big east.

JJ saved our program. We will always be grateful to him for that. We moved on to a pro style offense that uses some R&S schemes where there are four or five wide-outs. We have the first ever Asian head football coach in Norm Chow. He should be able to get us over the hump where JJ left us at. In a few years you should hear a lot about Hawaii football.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

isn't SMU going to the big east? isn't it currently a BCS conference? boise state is leaving the mwc to join the big east, so boise st also feels its a step up.

where was SMU prior to JJ going there?

while i didn't always like JJ's recruiting strategy, he did a heck of a lot for the University of Hawaii. he got UH to switch from the rainbows to the Warriors, he got the logo changed to the tapa H design, he took UH to the sugar bowl, UH had a legit heisman candidate, when he left UH he got everyones attention about pay issues and support from the hierarchy.

UH fans were hurt when he left Hawaii for SMU, and people are still pissed off about it.

i would take him back in a heart beat. that is not to say i am dissatisfied with Norm Chow, just saying JJ did alot for UH and seems to have done alot for SMU.

with out JJ you wouldn't even be talking about going to the next level.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

JuneSMU wrote:Hey guys, can you please take June back? He's done some nice things but now it's time for him to go. No way we can make it to the next level with him at the helm.

Seriously, was he this lazy at recruiting in Hawaii? Now have a bunch of 2* for our commits. He has run off at least 3 QB's. Supposed to be a QB guru?? Hasn't recruited one. Got a favor from his buddy from the Lions that his kid happen to be leaving UT. Jury is out on him.
Getting our butts kicked and not even being competitive. He had one foot out the door last year.

Thanks!

SMUfan
Money can't buy everything, apparently.
Oh...you can't pay for athletes to play at SMU anymore?!!!!

Dohhh....

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

SundayJam wrote:
JuneSMU wrote:Hey guys, can you please take June back? He's done some nice things but now it's time for him to go. No way we can make it to the next level with him at the helm.

Thanks!

SMUfan
Money can't buy everything, apparently.
Oh...you can't pay for athletes to play at SMU anymore?!!!!

Dohhh....
^^^^^^^^^^^
petulant.

But...I do think your expectations might be a tad high. You folks directly compete with Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor. Not to mention that you folks also compete with LSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Arkansas (as well as Arizona, Arizona State, etc..etc.) I'm sure there's enough decent WRs, RBs, LBs, DBs in that region to find a few gems. But QB, OL and DL? Even in the state of Texas there might not be enough of those to go 'round. SMU does not have the cache it once had.

Makiki Hustle
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Makiki Hustle »

HawaiianHogster wrote:We have the first ever Asian head football coach in Norm Chow. He should be able to get us over the hump where JJ left us at.
Did you mean coach Mack?

Because June Jones didn't leave us in a hump, in my opinion.

In 2006 we went 11-3, and were nationally ranked. Our only losses came to #24 Alabama (17-21), #25 Boise State (34-41), and Oregon State (32-35). We finished that season nationally ranked in the top 25.

In 2007, we went 12-0! Completely undefeated. We finished that season nationally ranked in the top 10.

Yes, the Sugar Bowl loss was painful to watch, but aside from horror, the Hawaii Warriors were a dominating team under June Jones, from what I remember.

I like Norm Chow, and I like that he's introducing a pro style offense--but I also think June Jones did a lot for the program.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Makiki Hustle wrote:
HawaiianHogster wrote:We have the first ever Asian head football coach in Norm Chow. He should be able to get us over the hump where JJ left us at.
Did you mean coach Mack?

Because June Jones didn't leave us in a hump, in my opinion.

In 2006 we went 11-3, and were nationally ranked. Our only losses came to #24 Alabama (17-21), #25 Boise State (34-41), and Oregon State (32-35). We finished that season nationally ranked in the top 25.

In 2007, we went 12-0! Completely undefeated. We finished that season nationally ranked in the top 10.

Yes, the Sugar Bowl loss was painful to watch, but aside from horror, the Hawaii Warriors were a dominating team under June Jones, from what I remember.

I like Norm Chow, and I like that he's introducing a pro style offense--but I also think June Jones did a lot for the program.
Uh....Mack was the reason we were 11-3 and 12-0 respectively in the June Jones era. If not for the AD scheduling the likes of Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Florida...among others...Mack would still be the reason Hawaii was still WAC champ. Instead, we're chasing after flash-in-the-pan wonders like BSU and BYU as they fluctuate between states of relevance. In the meantime, Utah State and La Tech are lighting up the top 25 from our former conference.

I liked Jones and McMackin...and I think Chow may have a chance to deal with this mess before our fickle fans and admins get their panties in bunch too.

In regard to the OP...go buy yer self another coach, but don't think about paying off yer players agin. Is that you T-Boone?

Kili
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: Toronto Raptors
NFL: Seattle Seahawks

Post by Kili »

Small~Axe wrote: Also in 9 years in Hawaii, 4 at SMU and 4 Mack's years running the RNS, no QB has played in a regular season NFL game.
So, you think Sean Schroeder is gonna make it to the NFL?

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

Kili wrote:
Small~Axe wrote: Also in 9 years in Hawaii, 4 at SMU and 4 Mack's years running the RNS, no QB has played in a regular season NFL game.
So, you think Sean Schroeder is gonna make it to the NFL?
Taylor Graham sure has the look
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down - Bob