D-line

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

D-line

Post by Grinch »

We discussed the O-line already.
For the Dline . . . either our front 7 is pretty solid, or USC's running game sucks. GDL looked good, as did TJ Taimatuia. Bigger teams used to run crazy on us.
Would've liked to see our guys get to the QB alot more, but (I maybe wrong) it seemed Barkley was throwing mostly short and intermediate routes and getting the ball out quick.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: D-line

Post by Irse »

Grinch wrote:We discussed the O-line already.
For the Dline . . . either our front 7 is pretty solid, or USC's running game sucks. GDL looked good, as did TJ Taimatuia. Bigger teams used to run crazy on us.
Would've liked to see our guys get to the QB alot more, but (I maybe wrong) it seemed Barkley was throwing mostly short and intermediate routes and getting the ball out quick.
Thats correct. USC does have some good running backs. Our front seven did good.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I agree. USC has problems or we will be a great run defense. Barkley was lucky to have those 2 receivers. He just threw the ball up in the air and let them make the plays.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Irse

Post by Irse »

RedZone wrote:
I agree. USC has problems or we will be a great run defense. Barkley was lucky to have those 2 receivers. He just threw the ball up in the air and let them make the plays.
USC does have two RBs that gained over 1000 yds last year. They're returning tailback as well as the transfer from Penn State. They can't be all that bad
ImageImage

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

All I can say is that #59 SMOKED! one of USC's RBs on one play.

Without the names on the jerseys, I'm struggling identifying who is who out there.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Reading some of the comments made from the USC side they were bemoaning the fact that USC's offensive line didn't get much of a surge on running plays, yet disregarding that maybe UH's defensive line is pretty good.

Looking at the participation report it shows that Woodward started and was replaced by Yap. Also it shows that Correa didn't play in the game (which is surprising to me).

The play that Hanonhano ran 40 yards down field in pursuit of a faster running back was awesome. That's a keeper for my memory bank.

5 out of the 7 made their first starts. Still would like to see Daley and McBride get playing time.

The defense holding USC of 4-14 on third down conversions says a lot.

Irse

Post by Irse »

sarvicdar wrote:Reading some of the comments made from the USC side they were bemoaning the fact that USC's offensive line didn't get much of a surge on running plays, yet disregarding that maybe UH's defensive line is pretty good.

Looking at the participation report it shows that Woodward started and was replaced by Yap. Also it shows that Correa didn't play in the game (which is surprising to me).

The play that Hanonhano ran 40 yards down field in pursuit of a faster running back was awesome. That's a keeper for my memory bank.

5 out of the 7 made their first starts. Still would like to see Daley and McBride get playing time.

The defense holding USC of 4-14 on third down conversions says a lot.
The participation list online may not be accurate. I think it listed thirty something players but ST said that 51 played.
ImageImage

2left
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by 2left »

59 Matagiese did have a great hit on that run. He also blew up USC's 4th and 1 attempt by blasting his man 2 yards into the backfield. On the other hand, I saw him get blasted backwards on several occasions. Seems strong and fast, but maybe a bit undersized for his position. Love his motor, though.

pumpfake
Starter
Starter

Post by pumpfake »

yap had an outstanding game. great job!

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Hawaii has always done pretty well against the run, I can only remember a few teams that killed Hawaii running the ball like Georgia, Florida, Boise, Wisconsin, Tulsa and last year UNLV. The secondary has always been a little suspect against high caliber BCS teams. Besides USC and I can remember Notre Dame blowing the Hawaii secondary to pieces. Also, teams with big fast recievers and TE killed Hawaii secondary in the past, I can remember Georgia, Florida, UNLV and Washington doing this. So the D line is not bad and I suspect the front 7 will get it together by the Nevada game. The secondary is a real concern besides the Beast Mike Edwards Hawaii has huge drop off in talent after Edwards. The safties where a non factor and Grimes/Phillips will share time of the opposite side of Edwards. I know Hawaii was playing #1 USC but the secondary has to step it up for this type run stop aggresive blitzing style of defense to work.

UHfan101
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by UHfan101 »

:love7: I love this year DLINE, YUP played great paipai falumalu played pretty good but I can't wait to see the guy DEJON ALLEN from, Compton he's very good he could either play DLINE/OLINE... HE TURNED DOWN ::Georgia, Missouri, Boise st, Washington, ucla, oregon and yes the ducks and he turned all them down for Hawaii .. I love this kid

GO WARRIORS!! :wav:

HK
All-conference
All-conference

Post by HK »

WarriorTyme wrote:. . . The secondary is a real concern besides the Beast Mike Edwards Hawaii has huge drop off in talent after Edwards. The safties where a non factor and Grimes/Phillips will share time of the opposite side of Edwards. I know Hawaii was playing #1 USC but the secondary has to step it up for this type run stop aggresive blitzing style of defense to work.
I think this is the one area where the recruiting will have to catch up with the defensive philosophy. Until then, it's trial by fire. What's unknown is how much better people like Grimes, Phillips, and Jackson will be as the season goes on. Hopefully this staff is allowed to accumulate a few recruiting classes before a verdict is rendered.

ABUNAI
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Philadelphia Phillies
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by ABUNAI »

HK wrote:
WarriorTyme wrote:. . . The secondary is a real concern besides the Beast Mike Edwards Hawaii has huge drop off in talent after Edwards. The safties where a non factor and Grimes/Phillips will share time of the opposite side of Edwards. I know Hawaii was playing #1 USC but the secondary has to step it up for this type run stop aggresive blitzing style of defense to work.
I think this is the one area where the recruiting will have to catch up with the defensive philosophy. Until then, it's trial by fire. What's unknown is how much better people like Grimes, Phillips, and Jackson will be as the season goes on. Hopefully this staff is allowed to accumulate a few recruiting classes before a verdict is rendered.
True but reguardless on what we have I still like the defense. I believe that the refs really screwed UH on not calling the pass interference calls that USC did on three touchdowns. You could see it on the replays that the receiver pushed off and extended his arm to get space needed to catch the ball. That is a pass interference. And the refs blew the call and gave USC advantage. When they didnt need it.
"LIVE AND DIE BY THE SWORD"

UHfan101
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by UHfan101 »

OMG-HAWAii DLINE sucked this week vs Nevada (bo yapp) played the best paipai falmalui played with no senior emotion..
They player way better the usc game then the Nevada game... :cry: :cry: :cry: .. norm chow is great but need to get that guy( Dejon Allen )to Hawaii..

HK
All-conference
All-conference

Post by HK »

UHfan101 wrote:OMG-HAWAii DLINE sucked this week vs Nevada (bo yapp) played the best paipai falmalui played with no senior emotion..
They player way better the usc game then the Nevada game... :cry: :cry: :cry: .. norm chow is great but need to get that guy( Dejon Allen )to Hawaii..
Now I'm confused. Is the talent level really that much lower than Nevada's? I didn't think the talent level was too bad this year, but Nevada seemed so much faster/stronger. Was the defensive scheme not up to par? Are the players not executing their assignments? Or is Nevada that good? I hope Nevada is that good otherwise the rest of the year is going to feel very long. Now I know how Lamar felt.