UH Pro Day Thread

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Wild Warrior
High-quality H20 provider

UH Pro Day Thread

Post by Wild Warrior »

Hawkpeter wrote:This is really turning into a saga, but in regards to claims over UH preparing players for the NFL, I wish people would stop giving lip service to this until the UH Pro Day organization and representation is addressed.Pretty much nobody involved is happy with it and until such time as it is addressed any such claims about UH preparing players for the NFL is open to mockery.

Mr Fanaika has at the very least provided a genuine story line for the 2011-2012 off season.
Hawkpeter,

I could not agree more. The fact that Coach Chow and the UH adiministration sent no one to Pro Day last week speaks volumes. Coach Miano flew over on his own to represent and have the backs of last year's seniors. AD Donovan and his entire staff should be ashamed to talk about being Warriors for life. [-X [-X

WW

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: All American OL Fehoko Fanaika offered by UH

Post by kapakahi »

Wild Warrior wrote:
Hawkpeter wrote:This is really turning into a saga, but in regards to claims over UH preparing players for the NFL, I wish people would stop giving lip service to this until the UH Pro Day organization and representation is addressed.Pretty much nobody involved is happy with it and until such time as it is addressed any such claims about UH preparing players for the NFL is open to mockery.

Mr Fanaika has at the very least provided a genuine story line for the 2011-2012 off season.
Hawkpeter,

I could not agree more. The fact that Coach Chow and the UH adiministration sent no one to Pro Day last week speaks volumes. Coach Miano flew over on his own to represent and have the backs of last year's seniors. AD Donovan and his entire staff should be ashamed to talk about being Warriors for life. [-X [-X

WW
Off the FF topic, BUT since we're all just sitting around and waiting for the announcement of his decision this week....
http://warriorbeat.staradvertiserblogs. ... pro-day-4/
.....just in case anyone missed this from last Monday.

al
All-conference
All-conference

Post by al »

Wild Warrior wrote:

Hawkpeter,

WW
i have been told that the new director of football operations did go to the pro day at the home depot. the pro day i am told was already mapped out by the old regime and since the hiring of chow and company did come late, it was decided that miano and company go ahead and finish what they started. they also had an interest in helping the players of mack's area so it was done that way.

next year, the pro day is the complete responsibility of the chow clan. i also believe that the coaching staff will teach better techniques that will prepare them for the future.

team discipline in the classroom, practice field, and training room has already been ramped up tremendously. no more of this loosely held sessions and players will be held accountable to attend all sessions.

the players will tell you how things have already changed and improved. some have already been reprimanded for not keeping up with the program.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Pro Day

Post by kapakahi »

al wrote:i have been told that the new director of football operations did go to the pro day at the home depot. the pro day i am told was already mapped out by the old regime and since the hiring of chow and company did come late, it was decided that miano and company go ahead and finish what they started. they also had an interest in helping the players of mack's area so it was done that way.
Hawkpeter and Wild Warrior both know the real truth!....as do I....as does Stephen Tsai. :roll:

.....and now the Director of Football Operations (the only official representative of UH) is also gone....in less than 2 months! Hmmmm! :-$
Last edited by kapakahi on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

al wrote:
Wild Warrior wrote:

Hawkpeter,

WW
i have been told that the new director of football operations did go to the pro day at the home depot. the pro day i am told was already mapped out by the old regime and since the hiring of chow and company did come late, it was decided that miano and company go ahead and finish what they started. they also had an interest in helping the players of mack's area so it was done that way.

next year, the pro day is the complete responsibility of the chow clan. i also believe that the coaching staff will teach better techniques that will prepare them for the future.

team discipline in the classroom, practice field, and training room has already been ramped up tremendously. no more of this loosely held sessions and players will be held accountable to attend all sessions.

the players will tell you how things have already changed and improved. some have already been reprimanded for not keeping up with the program.
As I recall Chow was hired nearly three months ago and most of his staff was in place in January. I don't know what happened at pro day but Chow had plenty of time to make the time for our graduating seniors at pro day if he so chose.

Wild Warrior

Post by Wild Warrior »

As I recall Chow was hired nearly three months ago and most of his staff was in place in January. I don't know what happened at pro day but Chow had plenty of time to make the time for our graduating seniors at pro day if he so chose.
Completely agree - Donovan & Chow completely dissed last year's seniors. I heard Miano flew over at his own expense just to be there to support the boys. I heard from very reliable sources that pro day was not well organized and seemed to be thrown together at the last minute.

After completing their weights & measurments & paperwork, players went out on the field and within 10 minutes they started with the broad jump & long jump. Players didn't even get a chance for proper warm up and stretching. I wonder if that is why Tuipolotu pulled a hamstring in the 40. On the shuttle drills, players only got one rep. I have never heard of this before. They have always done two reps at every pro day or combine that I have heard of.

For position drills, there was only about 45 minutes allocated for the boys to show what they can actually do. You had scouts from all of the teams, but they only had about 45 minutes to watch 7 different position groups (QBs, WRs, LBs, RBs, OL, DL, DBs) spread out on one very large field. There was no way for scouts to be able to see more than one or two position groups. Heard one agent say that the UH pro day was one of the worst he had been to.

If Lozano's departure is related to pro day, then I think Lozano ended up being the fall guy for this fiasco. IMHO - responsibility cannot be delegated only tasks can. So I still say Donovan & Chow should be ultimately held responsible.

Question: With Tuioti being the only hold over from Mack's staff, and given the fact that he coached up the defensive line, why did UH not fly him over for pro day? Our DL guys (Meatoga, Masch, Tuipolotua, Satele) are some of our strongest pro prospects in this class. I would think that it would have been helpful for their position coach to come talk them up with the scouts.

WW

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Re: UH Pro Day Thread

Post by Hawkpeter »

Being that this is now the 'Pro Day' thread, below is my question to Jim Donovan and his response.
Jim Donovan wrote:
Hawkpeter wrote:Mr Donovan,

although its not a good practice for administrators to address rumors but has there been any official feedback about UH's Pro Day for its graduated football players?

Anecdotally, there seems to be a lot of complaints from former players, their trainers and agents about the organization of it; players feeling that they cannot perform optimally. Have you had discussions with the past and present coaching staffs about this? Should the stakeholders in this event be encouraged to bring their concerns to you?
-----------------------------------------------------

Hawkpeter -

I've not received any complaints regarding Pro Day. That said, it's not surprising to me because NCAA rules restrict the communication between athletic department employees and agents.

My understanding is that Pro Day used to be conducted here on campus at the Clarence TC Ching Field, but there was some concern about the number of scouts that would attend, so the event was moved to the Los Angeles area on a date that was close to the USC/UCLA Pro Day. In general, it seemed like most everyone was pleased with the increase in the number of scouts that attended the Los Angeles event versus the one that was conducted here.

If any former player has feedback on how to make Pro Day better -- and we can affordably do so without violating NCAA rules -- we'd certainly look into whatever information they provide us.
I would encourage any players that you know to forward their complaints and recommendations in writing or by phone/direct contact to Jim Donovan. Need to make sure this doesn't happen in the future, and that the most crucial single day for the pathway of professional football careers for graduated Warriors is run as well as possible.

LongBow
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by LongBow »

Wild Warrior wrote:
Completely agree - Donovan & Chow completely dissed last year's seniors. I heard Miano flew over at his own expense just to be there to support the boys. I heard from very reliable sources that pro day was not well organized and seemed to be thrown together at the last minute.

After completing their weights & measurments & paperwork, players went out on the field and within 10 minutes they started with the broad jump & long jump. Players didn't even get a chance for proper warm up and stretching. I wonder if that is why Tuipolotu pulled a hamstring in the 40. On the shuttle drills, players only got one rep. I have never heard of this before. They have always done two reps at every pro day or combine that I have heard of.

For position drills, there was only about 45 minutes allocated for the boys to show what they can actually do. You had scouts from all of the teams, but they only had about 45 minutes to watch 7 different position groups (QBs, WRs, LBs, RBs, OL, DL, DBs) spread out on one very large field. There was no way for scouts to be able to see more than one or two position groups. Heard one agent say that the UH pro day was one of the worst he had been to.

If Lozano's departure is related to pro day, then I think Lozano ended up being the fall guy for this fiasco. IMHO - responsibility cannot be delegated only tasks can. So I still say Donovan & Chow should be ultimately held responsible.

Question: With Tuioti being the only hold over from Mack's staff, and given the fact that he coached up the defensive line, why did UH not fly him over for pro day? Our DL guys (Meatoga, Masch, Tuipolotua, Satele) are some of our strongest pro prospects in this class. I would think that it would have been helpful for their position coach to come talk them up with the scouts.

WW

WW, Chow was not Donovans hire. Chow answers to a higher pay grade. If you want to understand the type of person Norm Chow is you may want to seek out his former players from Waialua High.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Who's really complaining here if JD hasn't heard of any complaints? Are people trying to speak for the players again and putting their own views and thoughts into it? I mean did even one of the players there say "gee, I wish coach Chow who I didn't play for was here."

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

H20 wrote:Who's really complaining here if JD hasn't heard of any complaints? Are people trying to speak for the players again and putting their own views and thoughts into it?
Since you haven't figured it out yet....Hawkpeter and WW are directly associated with past and current Warrior players.....and have attended the Pro Days. You can verify with the other moderators. Obviously it's not a good thing for players to speak their minds openly. Just ask David Graves.
H2O wrote:I mean did even one of the players there say "gee, I wish coach Chow who I didn't play for was here."
No....BUT some players did say that it would've been nice if Coach Chow sent Tony Tuioti....whom they played directly under....up to the Pro Day. AND they did express their appreciation to Miano for attending....on his own.

The fact is that Pro Days need to be better organized in the future....for the benefit of the players....so that UH can best "prepare players for the NFL" (one of Coach Chow's stated program goals)....instead of run by the NFL scouts however they want to....for their own convenience.

Whether acknowledged publicly or not, the UH Athletic Dept. and Football Program should at least recognize this privately and take the necessary internal measures to improve the organization for future Pro Days.

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

Does anyone know if June Jones and any members of Von Appen's staff went to to 1999 Pro day after Fred was fired and June cleaned house and brought in a new staff? I wonder if any of Von Appen's staff was still on the payroll, like Miano, when June took over? Rich wasn't doing the school a favor, he was still an employee. Yes his plane ticket should have been covered, but he's still on the books til 3/31/12
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down - Bob

LongBow
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by LongBow »

Small~Axe wrote:Does anyone know if June Jones and any members of Von Appen's staff went to to 1999 Pro day after Fred was fired and June cleaned house and brought in a new staff? I wonder if any of Von Appen's staff was still on the payroll, like Miano, when June took over? Rich wasn't doing the school a favor, he was still an employee. Yes his plane ticket should have been covered, but he's still on the books til 3/31/12

I think it was Rich Miano who started the UH Pro-Day. Miano attended pro-day after receiving calls from the seniors. They felt they were left out to dry and everything was is a state of confusion. Miano talked to Chow several times about the players concerns and was told he could attend pro-day but would be there in an unofficial capacity and would have to pay his own way. Miano tried his best to coordinate things up there but one can only do so much when you are not a coach an just an observer. Rich attended pro-day because he felt an obligation to the players who gave their heart and soul for this program.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

LongBow wrote:Miano attended pro-day after receiving calls from the seniors. They felt they were left out to dry and everything was is a state of confusion. Miano talked to Chow several times about the players concerns and was told he could attend pro-day but would be there in an unofficial capacity and would have to pay his own way. Miano tried his best to coordinate things up there but one can only do so much when you are not a coach an just an observer. Rich attended pro-day because he felt an obligation to the players who gave their heart and soul for this program.
Miano couldn't coordinate Pro Day since he was there on his own at his own cost (in an unofficial capacity)....but instead was there to provide support for players....and to provide information on the players to the attending NFL scouts....since NFL teams had been contacting him about players beforehand.

Chow had indicated to Miano that he would be sending TT....but didn't after all....and ended up sending Juan....who obviously won't know any of last season's senior Warriors.
Last edited by kapakahi on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

kapakahi wrote:
LongBow wrote:Miano attended pro-day after receiving calls from the seniors. They felt they were left out to dry and everything was is a state of confusion. Miano talked to Chow several times about the players concerns and was told he could attend pro-day but would be there in an unofficial capacity and would have to pay his own way. Miano tried his best to coordinate things up there but one can only do so much when you are not a coach an just an observer. Rich attended pro-day because he felt an obligation to the players who gave their heart and soul for this program.
Miano couldn't coordinate Pro Day since he was there on his own at his own cost (in an unofficial capacity)....but instead was there to provide support for players....and to provide information on the players to the attending NFL scouts....since NFL teams had been contacting him about players beforehand.

Chow had indicated to Miano that he would be sending TT....but didn't after all....and just ended up sending Juan.
Norm probably sent Juan because he was hired as the "NFL Liason" while Tony might not have had the connections to the NFL officials. If what is said is true, Juan is not here for a reason. I don't like ST's remark the "He's a nice guy".... So was Nash, Mack and Dana...
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down - Bob

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

Small~Axe wrote:Norm probably sent Juan because he was hired as the "NFL Liaison" while Tony might not have had the connections to the NFL officials. If what is said is true, Juan is not here for a reason. I don't like ST's remark the "He's a nice guy".... So was Nash, Mack and Dana...
The New Mexico State Aggies probably haven't had the kind of Pro Day that UH just held....with all NFL team representatives in attendance....being that they were in LA to attend Pro Days at UCLA and USC the following 2 days, so not sure what was reasonable to expect of the new guy.

Just saying....JMHO that it's kinda tough to expect a younger new guy to all of a sudden have the NFL contacts (like Miano). NFL contacts are developed over time....and don't come with any official job title....especially in less than 2 months. BUT....I guess that I shouldn't be surprised....since Coach Chow did describe his own style as "demanding" at his 1st press conference. For TT's sake, it's probably a good thing that he wasn't sent by Coach Chow to Pro Day after all.