New uniform coming soon?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
puali
High-quality H20 provider

Re: New uniform coming soon?

Post by puali »

dcwarrior wrote: Bottom line, the Nike deal was much poorer than the UA deal. UH gets a lot more stuff and a little bit of marketing money besides.
Good point. UH got a fantastic deal with UA.

No criticism should be given there, but gratitude.

This thread is about unis. UA should be getting some criticism there.

Nike has been creating some innovative, cool designs.
As proven by their results in Oregon, complete, awesome changes in Arizona State, Oklahoma State, etc.

Most Nike uniform designs are much more visually appealing,
an aspect that's influential to players & recruits.

Compare that to what UA has done to the Maryland unis, design fiasco at South Carolina, which resulted in the UA design not being used in the game, etc.

UA's strange designs on helmets, jerseys, and pants. Styles more befitting from the USFL days or arena football.

Importantly, what the mess UA has done to the Hawaii Warriors unis.

Just found another article criticizing Hawaii unis. Not sure if this article was ever posted in these forums.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8464 ... 011/page/5

This one is about UA's design for Hawaii's pants.

Johnathan Cace of Bleacher Report stated.....

"Not sure what Hawaii was thinking with these pants. Awful, just awful".

Cace, I totally agree with you but don't blame Hawaii for that, blame UA.
Last edited by puali on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
My avatar is not pro-rainbow, but anti-rainbow, pro-WARRIORS. HAWAII WARRIORS football. Go WARRIORS!

yesimsher
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by yesimsher »

iHeart Hawaii wrote:Found this on google. thought it looked siiiickkk...made by Nike and i like the Poly triangle thing they got it and it sort of has the idea of the JJ jerseys but with a more updated look but i would suggest try making it all black with green numbers but the all green in the pic looks nice also.
I seen this pic on another thread when the new under armour unis came out last year. this was made from a user on this forum, I think. honestly, I dont like this uniform. too much going on. I dont like the whole idea that just because its a hawaii team, that they need tapa print on it and this uni just has too much of it. Id rather have a much more cleaner classic look like louisville or like colorado. the under armour unis this year wouldve been nice except for those horrible back striped pants.

Kazz
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Kazz »

puali wrote:
dcwarrior wrote: Bottom line, the Nike deal was much poorer than the UA deal. UH gets a lot more stuff and a little bit of marketing money besides.
Good point. UH got a fantastic deal with UA.

No criticism should be given there, but gratitude.

This thread is about unis. UA should be getting some criticism there.

Nike has been creating some innovative, cool designs.
As proven by their results in Oregon, complete, awesome changes in Arizona State, Oklahoma State, etc.

Most Nike uniform designs are much more visually appealing,
an aspect that's influential to players & recruits.

Compare that to what UA has done to the Maryland unis, design fiasco at South Carolina, which resulted in the UA design not being used in the game, etc.

UA's strange designs on helmets, jerseys, and pants. Styles more befitting from the USFL days or arena football.

Importantly, what the mess UA has done to the Hawaii Warriors unis.

Just found another article criticizing Hawaii unis. Not sure if this article was ever posted in these forums.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8464 ... 011/page/5

This one is about UA's design for Hawaii's pants.

Johnathan Cace of Bleacher Report stated.....

"Not sure what Hawaii was thinking with these pants. Awful, just awful".

Cace, I totally agree with you but don't blame Hawaii for that, blame UA.
This thread is indeed about uniforms, but what people KEEP on missing the point is that in order to receive the Nike uniforms people KEEP referring to, UH needs to be in the caliber of Boise State in terms of success and consistency and television exposure.

Oregon… NO college team is even CLOSE to what they get because of Phil Knight's relation to the school.

As anyone looked at Idaho's Nike uniforms or Fresno State's? That is more of what we could expect at BEST from Nike back in 2008 when their renegotiation was attempted.

As for faulting the athletic department for a shortage of extra apparel and whatnot under the Nike deal, well the POINT of this whole thing is that UA supplies the football program with all they need in terms of gameday, practice, weightroom, and some casual gear. Nike couldn't even do practice jerseys or supply fans with Nike branded replica jerseys until 2007.

The point of having a business relationship with an outfitter is to see where you and the outfitter can meet in the middle that is beneficial to BOTH parties.

Nike failed UH and when it came time to re-neg after a landmark year they dropped the ball on UH.

Addidas showed no interest, those at UH did not want to sell the Russell Athletic brand, and UA came in with a swanky presentation and threw money and materials at UH in the likes that they have NEVER seen before that.

UH did the right thing for their student-athletes.

In the GRAND scheme of things, opting to cite the appearance only of UA uniforms as to why UH should go back to Nike is short-sighted to the greater needs of what our student-athletes need to function on and off the field.

puali

Post by puali »

Kazz wrote: This thread is indeed about uniforms, but what people KEEP on missing the point is that in order to receive the Nike uniforms people KEEP referring to, UH needs to be in the caliber of Boise State in terms of success and consistency and television exposure.

Oregon… NO college team is even CLOSE to what they get because of Phil Knight's relation to the school.

As anyone looked at Idaho's Nike uniforms or Fresno State's? That is more of what we could expect at BEST from Nike back in 2008 when their renegotiation was attempted.

As for faulting the athletic department for a shortage of extra apparel and whatnot under the Nike deal, well the POINT of this whole thing is that UA supplies the football program with all they need in terms of gameday, practice, weightroom, and some casual gear. Nike couldn't even do practice jerseys or supply fans with Nike branded replica jerseys until 2007.

The point of having a business relationship with an outfitter is to see where you and the outfitter can meet in the middle that is beneficial to BOTH parties.

Nike failed UH and when it came time to re-neg after a landmark year they dropped the ball on UH.

Addidas showed no interest, those at UH did not want to sell the Russell Athletic brand, and UA came in with a swanky presentation and threw money and materials at UH in the likes that they have NEVER seen before that.

UH did the right thing for their student-athletes.

In the GRAND scheme of things, opting to cite the appearance only of UA uniforms as to why UH should go back to Nike is short-sighted to the greater needs of what our student-athletes need to function on and off the field.
It seems like you're missing the point.

People here are commenting on the style, design of the uniforms. That's all.

There's no criticism here on the benefits, support UA has given to UH, Hawaii athletics, and student-athletes.
No urging, petition to change back to Nike. Nothing inflammatory about the UH-UA deal.

I even said that UH got a fantastic deal with UA and gratitude should be given.

So you say, it's not the athletic department's fault if there were problems with a lack of apparel, support, etc. It's all Nike's fault?

It's the athletic department and the university that negotiated with Nike. So it's the athletic department and the university that has the right and responsibilty to complain, negotiate, etc. with Nike. It's the athletic department that should be fighting for and supporting whatever the student-athletes need. If there was anything bad committed to student-athletes, then it is both sides that are at fault.

You say Nike considers Hawaii at the level of Rutgers. There's nothing negative about that.
As I mentioned in my previous post, it should be a compliment since Rutgers is a winning team, with 5 consecutive bowl games won. Surely wish Hawaii had that accomplishment, instead of being embarrassed nationally the previous 3 bowl games.

But why even go into a debate about this, when this thread is all about the uniforms.

You seem to take this personally. But why? This is just all about the unis.

In your viewpoint, since UA has provided many benefits for Hawaii athletics, we shouldn't say a word. Just be content to whatever the UA designers decide to change in the unis.

Anybody has the right to criticize the unis. So if UA, decided to completely remove the Polynesian motif, like the pic in page 1, in your viewpoint, we shouldn't even criticize it since UA gave monetary benefits and lots of apparel for student-athletes. We just don't say anything to UA when they mess around with the Hawaii unis?

Hawaii's unis (2007-earlier) are still way better (Polynesian motif, unique, original, etc) than any unis from Idaho and Fresno State from 2007 to the present Nike designs. For that matter, better than most college football team unis in the mainland. IMHO

Idaho's & Fresno State's current unis are simple, cleaner but cool, not too weird or gaudy. Nothing bad at all about their designs. But we should be comparing unis from the JJ era to the present.

So what's your point that Hawaii could expect that at BEST from Nike? The Reebok then Nike unis were already awesome as it was in the JJ era. Drastic changes weren't necessary back then. Or you wanted flashier, gaudier designs being implemented by UA now.

You're saying Hawaii has to be in terms of success, consistency, and exposure as Boise State for better unis.
So top football teams have better looking uniforms?!?! Huh?!?! Look at Arizona State, they weren't successful the last few years, but the re-design to their logo and unis are awesome.

Success has nothing to do with the style, design of cool looking uniforms. It's all due to the designers. Hawaii already had awesome looking unis that UA only had to follow.
My avatar is not pro-rainbow, but anti-rainbow, pro-WARRIORS. HAWAII WARRIORS football. Go WARRIORS!

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

They say a team that looks good, plays good. And taken literally, this may be garbage, but lets take a look at Oregon. Their look has nothing to do with performance, BUT, it does attract almost every high school teenage recruit out there. Hey these kids are just as superficial as anyone else and maybe even a tad bit more at their age. That makes recruiting twice as easy and is probabally one of the main selling points of their home visits with recruits.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

I like the dark green with patches of black blended in... to me it looks more menacing than black with patches of green or some other color.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

808havok
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808havok »

this year's UA all american all-star game had a distinct southeast flavor. if any of those kids love the brand and by some crazy circumstance likes hawaii because of that connection, i wouldn't be opposed to the kids coming here. you?

fact is recruits are 17-20 year olds. their generation is not our generation. stop trying to force your "aged" opinions on the kids. UA pays a lot of money to the marketing department and designers who i'm sure have their pulse on this generation. one could argue that even oregon's uniforms are actually quite "gaudy" and too "bright" for old folk. but the kids eat it up. UA isn't doing anything different in that regard.

its all about branding, marketing, sales, and the bottom line. pretty rainbows and islands don't help that cause in this day and age.

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

808havok wrote:this year's UA all american all-star game had a distinct southeast flavor. if any of those kids love the brand and by some crazy circumstance likes hawaii because of that connection, i wouldn't be opposed to the kids coming here. you?

fact is recruits are 17-20 year olds. their generation is not our generation. stop trying to force your "aged" opinions on the kids. UA pays a lot of money to the marketing department and designers who i'm sure have their pulse on this generation. one could argue that even oregon's uniforms are actually quite "gaudy" and too "bright" for old folk. but the kids eat it up. UA isn't doing anything different in that regard.

its all about branding, marketing, sales, and the bottom line. pretty rainbows and islands don't help that cause in this day and age.
Agreed, and it is easy to see the clashing of styles with our fans. Look at our fanbase, a majority of the faithful ones are the "Old Tymers" who have followed the program for years, going back to the BOWS days. Younger die hards, although present, only make up a small portion of our fan base. Heck, we dont even have a student section anymore! Which brings us back to the age old dillema of a football stadium on the UH campus. Its what we need desperately to get that "CollegeTown" atmosphere that will attract the entire student body as well as prideful alumni to support the program.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

eonatoa wrote:
808havok wrote:this year's UA all american all-star game had a distinct southeast flavor. if any of those kids love the brand and by some crazy circumstance likes hawaii because of that connection, i wouldn't be opposed to the kids coming here. you?

Agreed, and it is easy to see the clashing of styles with our fans. Look at our fanbase, a majority of the faithful ones are the "Old Tymers" who have followed the program for years, going back to the BOWS days. Younger die hards, although present, only make up a small portion of our fan base. Heck, we dont even have a student section anymore! Which brings us back to the age old dillema of a football stadium on the UH campus. Its what we need desperately to get that "CollegeTown" atmosphere that will attract the entire student body as well as prideful alumni to support the program.
Agreed +1

albow
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by albow »

Just saw a segment on CBS News Sunday which does not air in Hawaii on football unis. Mentioned U of Oregon and their bowl uniform was highlighted. So were Maryland and suprise , UH. The comment was that the UH unis were too bland considering our location and a new designed uni was shown. It had tiny green tikis all over the jersey and was stunning. Someone is looking at our unis. All unis shown before ours were Nike designed

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

albow wrote:Just saw a segment on CBS News Sunday which does not air in Hawaii on football unis. Mentioned U of Oregon and their bowl uniform was highlighted. So were Maryland and suprise , UH. The comment was that the UH unis were too bland considering our location and a new designed uni was shown. It had tiny green tikis all over the jersey and was stunning. Someone is looking at our unis. All unis shown before ours were Nike designed
I didn't like it. Just click on the football unis video.

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/sunday/main3445.shtml
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

guaransballbearins
Starter
Starter

Post by guaransballbearins »

albow wrote:Just saw a segment on CBS News Sunday which does not air in Hawaii on football unis. Mentioned U of Oregon and their bowl uniform was highlighted. So were Maryland and suprise , UH. The comment was that the UH unis were too bland considering our location and a new designed uni was shown. It had tiny green tikis all over the jersey and was stunning. Someone is looking at our unis. All unis shown before ours were Nike designed
If we take uni advice from that guy we should change our name back to Rainbows.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Simon Doonan??? More like Simon Doo-NOT!!!!

WTF how is that douche a fashion designer. I've seen girls at HCC's fashion school with better taste. BTW what the heck do they think a tiki is?

puali

Post by puali »

guaransballbearins wrote: If we take uni advice from that guy we should change our name back to Rainbows.
+1 LOL
EITSwarrior wrote:Simon Doonan??? More like Simon Doo-NOT!!!!

WTF how is that douche a fashion designer. I've seen girls at HCC's fashion school with better taste. BTW what the heck do they think a tiki is?
ROFL!!

Simon Doo-NOT, even complimented Wyoming's unis.
Wyokie should be happy. :)

I hate to agree with Doo-NOT, but I agree that the Wyoming unis (it's cool, nothing too gaudy considering the brown/yellow colors)
and Arizona State unis (awesome logo & unis redesign) are nicely designed.

Of all the people they could've interviewed and asked for opinions and suggestions from, it had to be
Doo-NOT. Bah!!

The video narrator even called the Hawaii football team the Rainbow Warriors. Bah!!!!
It's time for the Athletic Dept to change the name for all sports to just "Warriors" so this mistake/confusion
be rectified in the mainland.

It would've been awesome if they showed and interviewed instead the uniform designers from Nike and UA.

At least they interviewed Lukas. I'm a regular visitor/reader of his cool website, Uni Watch, which has commentaries
on uniforms for most sports.

What Doo-NOT said for Hawaii unis are the worst suggestions I've ever heard. Sheesh, his suggestions for the
Hawaii tiki jerseys and the "grass skirts" pants. WTH! Uugghh!

Please football gods, don't let this ever happen, or Hawaii will be the laughingstock of football.

But the way UA altered the Hawaii unis in 2011 (the gaudy shoulders/sleeves, the gaudy rear pants design),
it's coming dangerously close!

Upstring808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Upstring808 »

We need these badly, the Blacks have to Go Seriously? Can't even read many of the numbers from afar? These are Trendy and we know Kids are attracted to Trendy! If nothing else players want to at least look good on the field...

PS - Whites need to be tweaked as well...JMO
CoreyT wrote:Image

I went searching and came upon this, whats do yo guys think of it, if this is a future uniform?