Would you have benched Moniz?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kik050
Play Maker
Play Maker

Would you have benched Moniz?

Post by kik050 »

I thought they left Moniz in way too long against UNLV. In the 2nd quarter of this game, it looked like he was trying to give the game away. I thought they should've benched him in the middle of the 2nd. Maybe bring him back to start the 3rd, but let him know that his play needs to step up and nothing says that more then having the coach yank you from the game. I would also, still pencil him in as the starter next week.
Hawai'i has the best fighters in the world. F___ that's all we do. --BJ Penn

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Would you have benched Moniz?

Post by Irse »

No
ImageImage

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

One of June Jones talents was yanking quarterbacks who were in trouble.
No big deal, they do it in the pros from time to time also.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

SundayJam wrote:One of June Jones talents was yanking quarterbacks who were in trouble.
But it was Moniz who led them back and we would have gotten a win if we could kick and make a stupid PAT.
ImageImage

rocket808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by rocket808 »

no from me too. what irse said.
it is the complex team thing

big kudos to torres and the defense though
UH grad
active Hawaii road game attender

GO WARRIORS!!

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Irse wrote:
SundayJam wrote:One of June Jones talents was yanking quarterbacks who were in trouble.
But it was Moniz who led them back and we would have gotten a win if we could kick and make a stupid PAT.
Rolo needs to pull Moniz when he is not playing well and inconsistent and let the backup in to save the game. Everyone has bad days, we have depth at QB, use them. Shane and David were capable of coming in and saving the game.

It's a team sport, if the QB is stuttering, replace him with the back up.

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

I wouldn't have benched Moniz cause he needs to be given a chance to fight through things, but since he has a HUGE case of butterflies on national TV, i'd give the backup more snaps during practice the week leading up to the next national TV game, for when Moniz sputters.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I would've pulled Moniz, especially since we have an experienced back-up in Shane Austin. If anything it would calm Moniz down and show him that he is replaceable. Step up your game OR be replaced!!!

UH-aholic
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by UH-aholic »

I would have pulled him out for one series to settle him down. He was clearly flustered and forcing thing down field for the first two quarters.

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

UH-aholic wrote:I would have pulled him out for one series to settle him down. He was clearly flustered and forcing thing down field for the first two quarters.
i was thinking the same thing. he was rattled for whatever reason, forcing things, not playing to his strengths

Kama'aina UH
Starter
Starter
MLB: Angels/Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Kama'aina UH »

Moniz was overthrowing WR all night? Yes, he should have been pulled for a series or two just to get him settled down. Austin and Graves are not much of a drop off at QB. We are blessed to have them; let's use them when appropriate.

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I would bench anyone as a coach who does not perform up to their ability. Sometimes it does good for a QB to sit back and see another QB pass them up. Sometimes it will get the starter to perform better. If it doesn't you have a new starter who can get it done.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

Kama'aina UH wrote:Moniz was overthrowing WR all night? Yes, he should have been pulled for a series or two just to get him settled down. Austin and Graves are not much of a drop off at QB. We are blessed to have them; let's use them when appropriate.

Coaches are so scared to pull the starter. They think it might hurt them more than help. They figure that the starter will correct his problems by the end of the game for the winning TD. Sad that they are so loyal when winning is what they need to be concerned about. Stop with the loyalty of losing with the starter and replace him for a few to settle him down giving the back up a chance to prove he can win for you. Live and learn coaches. This may have cost you your job.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

WA Warrior wrote:I wouldn't have benched Moniz cause he needs to be given a chance to fight through things, but since he has a HUGE case of butterflies on national TV, i'd give the backup more snaps during practice the week leading up to the next national TV game, for when Moniz sputters.
i wouldn't have benched him. I would have started the game running him more. If you don't want to get a player injured keep him off the field. A quarterback who runs gives the defense so much more to worry about. We have quarterbacks who can run. We need to use them.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by season ticket holder »

Yes. He was only hurting the team with his play.