Opening Flag carrying ceremony

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Opening Flag carrying ceremony

Post by MadCat88 »

Please don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE the tradition of having B.Moniz carrying the Hawaii State Flag out in front of the team as they enter the stadium for the start of the game; but it's a fact (legally too) that the CORRECT procession should ALWAYS be the National "Stars and Stripes" Flag FIRST, then all others...

"“No other flag or pennant should be placed above, or, if on same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America,…No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the United States at any place within the United States or any territory or possession thereof:…”"

I didn't see this last game's (vs. Colorado) team entrance, but it was my understanding that Moniz with the Hawaii State Flag come out first - followed by Masch with the Stars & Stripes. I think if this pre-game tradition is continued - the team WILL need to make a slight adjustment, particularly to NOT OFFEND the many patriotic football fans in the stands or watching on T.V.. NOT a good way to gain more Warrior Football Fans.

BigWave96744

Re: Opening Flag carrying ceremony

Post by BigWave96744 »

very good point...
You wanna bring this up to Jim Donovan, in today's chat?

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

Can't... (too tied up) - could you???

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

No worries, Masch is taller so the U.S. flag was above :roll:

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

I'll forward the question for you MC88, great point!
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Did we always bring the U.S. flag out? If it's a problem maybe they should just bring out the Hawaii flag. Every team we play is going to be from the U.S. as well, it doesn't really make sense to me. Plus we have foriegn players on the team, the U.S. flag isn't theirs, but they ALL represent Hawaii.

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

H20 wrote:Did we always bring the U.S. flag out? If it's a problem maybe they should just bring out the Hawaii flag. Every team we play is going to be from the U.S. as well, it doesn't really make sense to me. Plus we have foriegn players on the team, the U.S. flag isn't theirs, but they ALL represent Hawaii.
+1

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Great point H20.

I don't think this should even be a flag carrying "ceremony." The colors are posted and the national anthems are sung well before this. Personally, I think they need to leave the American Flag out of the running with the players. The Hawaii Flag is enough to keep it simply "a player carrying the Hawaii flag," as opposed to a ceremony worthy of pomp and circumstance.

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

HWNBRN
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HWNBRN »

H20 wrote:Did we always bring the U.S. flag out? If it's a problem maybe they should just bring out the Hawaii flag. Every team we play is going to be from the U.S. as well, it doesn't really make sense to me. Plus we have foriegn players on the team, the U.S. flag isn't theirs, but they ALL represent Hawaii.
+++++++1

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

HWNBRN wrote:
+++++++1
I was thinking the same thing. The players play for UH and Hawaii... Maybe we need a UH flag, instead, eh?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

bigislandkurt wrote:Great point H20.

I don't think this should even be a flag carrying "ceremony." The colors are posted and the national anthems are sung well before this. Personally, I think they need to leave the American Flag out of the running with the players. The Hawaii Flag is enough to keep it simply "a player carrying the Hawaii flag," as opposed to a ceremony worthy of pomp and circumstance.

BIK
Generally agree... but you gotta remember if the Flag of our nation and state is being "carried": it's a "ceremony" - and proper customs SHOULD BE observed... or else the University of Hawaii (and football program) could suffer negative consequences. Since the National and State Anthems are still being observed properly... I don't see this as any kind of "crisis" - but something that all involved SHOULD DISCUSS openly... and come to a good resolution - BEFORE someone from 'elsewhere' makes an 'issue' of what the team is doing before the game... and turns it into a crisis.

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

madeinhawaii wrote:
HWNBRN wrote:
+++++++1
I was thinking the same thing. The players play for UH and Hawaii... Maybe we need a UH flag, instead, eh?
I was thinking the same thing... but I know the intent of Moniz carrying the State of Hawaii "colors" was to say to everyone watching: that the team was representing the entire State of Hawaii; not just the University. If this is the case: then proper procedure should be followed.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

MadCat88 wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote: I was thinking the same thing. The players play for UH and Hawaii... Maybe we need a UH flag, instead, eh?
I was thinking the same thing... but I know the intent of Moniz carrying the State of Hawaii "colors" was to say to everyone watching: that the team was representing the entire State of Hawaii; not just the University. If this is the case: then proper procedure should be followed.
I meant a UH flag in lieu of the US flag or by convention, does the Hawaii flag always have to accompany the UH flag?

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

madeinhawaii wrote:
MadCat88 wrote:
madeinhawaii wrote: I was thinking the same thing. The players play for UH and Hawaii... Maybe we need a UH flag, instead, eh?
I meant a UH flag in lieu of the US flag or by convention, does the Hawaii flag always have to accompany the UH flag?
Ahhh... yea. That might be a good option - I like that! I wouldn't think that would violate any protocols.

Small~Axe
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Small~Axe »

Who was the guy who brought out the sledge hammer :D
If you are the big tree,
We are the small axe,
Ready to cut you down,
Sharpened to cut you down - Bob