uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

ESPNU Spring Blitz...

Post by uhwarrior23 »

I was watching their show today and they previewed the WAC. Tom Luginbill gave his prediction and he picked Nevada. He said they should be the favorite because they have most of their o-line returning next season. I guess losing your star QB, RB and DE doesn't matter at all. :-? Hawaii is the only team in the WAC returning a starting QB. Yes, I understand Hawaii struggled against Tulsa but this program deserves more recognition than it is getting.... The other analysts went on to mention Fresno and Idaho but nothing about Hawaii except that they are losing 3 starting WR's. Also, doesn't defense account for anything???? Hawaii has the best returning defense in the WAC! The key will be the big games when the nation is watching, though! No more excuses! This team needs to take care of business and prove to the nation that this program is for real and I believe they will!
Go Warriors!!!!!!!!!

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: ESPNU Spring Blitz...

Post by J-Rod »

Typically its the outside opinion, or people who have no agenda for either side of the argument who have a more balanced perspective. The Warriors do have a lot of ??? that nobody can just dismiss as no big deal. UH has not proved they can just reload, and until they put it on the field its hard to completely ignore spots like WR, RB, possibly OL and maybe even QB. Now these ESPN guys probably didn't do much research either, so take what they say with a grain of salt. But its not too surprising the pundits aren't bumping the UH bandwagon just yet.

This is basically all they really now: UH got annihilated by freaking Tulsa. Moniz was the main culprit of the issue. He loses Alex Green, Greg Salas, and Kealoha Pilares. All elite talents.

Blowout on national T.V. + Loss of essential players = ESPN perspective that UH ain't all that great.

Only way to change their minds is step up when in the spotlight. Blowing out New Mexico State does not deliver respect. Getting clown stomped by Tulsa will hurt the image of the team for now. Just the way it is. It will all change if UH can put it all together in 2011. That's the fun part bout college football. We don't know how things will pan out. UH could 11-12 games, or they could pull a Warrior 2009 team and shock us with a 6-7 season. Who knows???

I do know the Warriors are probably getting sick of everyone getting down on them.....Any ESPN analyst is being very hypocritical if they dock UH for losing Green and Salares, but praise Nevada and Fresno even though their losses are far more catastrophic than Hawaii's.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

That's what frustrates the heck out of me. Hawaii loses Salas, Pilares and Green so they are done. Nevada loses Kaeperdick, Taua and Moch but won't miss a beat! [-X What the............ :x Boise is gone and I think the so called experts need to go w/ the next best program in the league. That is Hawaii no matter what Fresno, Nevada or Idaho fans say. Hawaii is the team to beat in the conference and by a long shot as far as I'm concerned. Hawaii has its Sr QB in Moniz returning who led the nation in passing yds and total offense in 2010. That cannot be discounted. Enderle, Kaeperfrick and Colburn are gone. Even La Tech loses their starter! Like J-Rod said, Hawaii needs to take care of business on the national stage and I think they will. They have to be ticked considering what happened in that Tulsa game. Just watching the replay of that game is motivation enough to work their tails off that much harder!

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

uhwarrior23 wrote:That's what frustrates the heck out of me. Hawaii loses Salas, Pilares and Green so they are done. Nevada loses Kaeperdick, Taua and Moch but won't miss a beat! [-X What the............ :x Boise is gone and I think the so called experts need to go w/ the next best program in the league. That is Hawaii no matter what Fresno, Nevada or Idaho fans say. Hawaii is the team to beat in the conference and by a long shot as far as I'm concerned. Hawaii has its Sr QB in Moniz returning who led the nation in passing yds and total offense in 2010. That cannot be discounted. Enderle, Kaeperfrick and Colburn are gone. Even La Tech loses their starter! Like J-Rod said, Hawaii needs to take care of business on the national stage and I think they will. They have to be ticked considering what happened in that Tulsa game. Just watching the replay of that game is motivation enough to work their tails off that much harder!
Yeah......expectations for Hawaii are tough to formulate thanks to the gaps.....but its not like the rest of the WAC is coming back loaded. In fact, almost nobody is. Even Utah State is getting hit hard. NMSU will be back in tact though. :o :lol:

I'm taking everyones opinion with a grain of salt. The only predictions I'm eager to see are Phil Steele's. While he's horrendously off for some schools, he's typically dead on about Hawaii. He was close last year. Eager to see what he thinks about the 2011 Warriors. And the rest of the WAC for that matter.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

dont forget we are losing our entire starting OL from last season. but hopefully hansen gets reinstated soon. but we're losing ginlack, tiwanak, thomas and letuli. leonard and lefiti got minimal PT last year. in addition to the skill guys, we also lose 3/4 of our secondary.

we also play at latech and nevada.

this years team has potential. but right now, we have a lot of unknowns. and depth might be a problem at several positions.
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

J-Rod wrote: I'm taking everyones opinion with a grain of salt. The only predictions I'm eager to see are Phil Steele's. While he's horrendously off for some schools, he's typically dead on about Hawaii. He was close last year. Eager to see what he thinks about the 2011 Warriors. And the rest of the WAC for that matter.
+1
Phil Steele is one of the few that actually does his homework on the Warriors. Looking forward to reading his outlook. I am far from an expert but as of now, this is how I see the WAC:

1. Hawaii- Best defense in the WAC and only school w/ starting QB returning.
2. Nevada- loses key ingredients on offense and top DE but still solid enough on defense to remain competitive.
3. Fresno St.- New QB Derek Carr brings a lot of hype but it remains to be seen how good he'll be in season 1.
4. Idaho- Another school breaking in a new QB. Defense will be decent enough to keep them in top half of WAC.
5. La Tech- Could surprise many w/ their new high flying offense led by 2nd year HC Sonny Dykes; needs to find new QB, though.
6. Utah St.- Losing Borel is huge. Could be a real down year for Aggies.
7. NMSU- Especting a solid year by Sophomore QB Andrew Manley; he will need some help, though.
8. SJSU- Simply a bad program; bad team=little to no support---2011 could be final FBS season for Spartans.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

uhwarrior23 wrote: 1. Hawaii- Best defense in the WAC and only school w/ starting QB returning.
2. Nevada- loses key ingredients on offense and top DE but still solid enough on defense to remain competitive.
3. Fresno St.- New QB Derek Carr brings a lot of hype but it remains to be seen how good he'll be in season 1.
4. Idaho- Another school breaking in a new QB. Defense will be decent enough to keep them in top half of WAC.
5. La Tech- Could surprise many w/ their new high flying offense led by 2nd year HC Sonny Dykes; needs to find new QB, though.
6. Utah St.- Losing Borel is huge. Could be a real down year for Aggies.
7. NMSU- Especting a solid year by Sophomore QB Andrew Manley; he will need some help, though.
8. SJSU- Simply a bad program; bad team=little to no support---2011 could be final FBS season for Spartans.
Not bad.....I agree on all your points, but have the standings different.

1. Hawaii - Defense wins championships.
2. Nevada - They have a favorable WAC schedule. That's about it.
3. Louisiana Tech - I'm biting on the hype. Which means they will suck.
4. Idaho - Sleeper. I like Brian Reader, I like what they have returning. Akey gets the best out of his team.
5. Fresno State - Bomb out of the year. Spring ball went terribly bad and their 2011 schedule is nuts. No bowl for the Bulldogs.
6. Utah State - I want to give Gary Anderson his due, but this team greatly underachieved last year. Got to see more.
7. New Mexico State - Go Andrew Manley.
8. San Jose State - Not FBS caliber. Wouldn't finish in the Top 3......in the Big Sky.
Last edited by J-Rod on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

uhwarrior23 wrote:8. SJSU- Simply a bad program; bad team=little to no support---2011 could be final FBS season for Spartans.
And when it happens, I'm going to drive everyone here crazy by saying these four little words.......

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

J-Rod wrote:Not bad.....I agree on all your points, but have the standings different.

1. Hawaii - Defense wins championships.
2. Nevada - They have a favorable WAC schedule. That's about it.
3. Louisiana Tech - I'm biting on the hype. Which means they will suck.
4. Idaho - Sleeper. I like Brian Reader, I like what they have returning. Akey gets the best out of his team.
5. Fresno State - Bomb out of the year. Spring ball went terribly bad and their 2011 schedule is nuts. No bowl for the Bulldogs.
6. Utah State - I want to give Gary Anderson his do, but this team greatly underachieved last year. Got to see more.
7. New Mexico State - Go Andrew Manley.
8. San Jose State - Not FBS caliber. Wouldn't finish in the Top 3......in the Big Sky.
Good picks. I still need to do more research on the teams below 2. I think most should have UH and UNR in top 2. How everything else shakes up beyond that??? I'm still not sure..... The teams I think could go either way: (surprise of have terrible seasons) Fresno St., Idaho or La Tech. It's safe to say USU, NMSU and SJSU will bring up the rear as usual.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

wyokie wrote:
uhwarrior23 wrote:8. SJSU- Simply a bad program; bad team=little to no support---2011 could be final FBS season for Spartans.
And when it happens, I'm going to drive everyone here crazy by saying these four little words.......

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you're preaching to the choir in this regard, bro. Most would not be the least surprised if SJSU drops to the FCS level starting in 2012.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

I have a friend who went to the BSU vs SJSU game last season. Said he was astonished to see how bad the Spartans team was, and how bad the lack of support is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwhy1pe8l9E

Take a good look at 0:19. Looks like a Broncos home game to me. Doubt the Spartans even had 3,000 fans there. Still can't believe they can claim they are an FBS program, but schools like Montana must settle in the FCS despite getting 25,000 fans strong every week.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

J-Rod wrote:I have a friend who went to the BSU vs SJSU game last season. Said he was astonished to see how bad the Spartans team was, and how bad the lack of support is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwhy1pe8l9E

Take a good look at 0:19. Looks like a Broncos home game to me. Doubt the Spartans even had 3,000 fans there. Still can't believe they can claim they are an FBS program, but schools like Montana must settle in the FCS despite getting 25,000 fans strong every week.
It's the same when UH goes there. It's almost like a home game for us.... I really think SJSU is on their way down. They would be a little better than average FCS team, IMO. I can think of several top FCS teams that would demolish SJSU. Montana, Eastern Washington, Villanova, Delaware, Appalachain State, etc...

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

uhwarrior23 wrote:
wyokie wrote:

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!
I think you're preaching to the choir in this regard, bro. Most would not be the least surprised if SJSU drops to the FCS level starting in 2012.
They won't drop down a level in football. Mark my words....they WILL drop football and reapply for Big West membership in all other sports.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

wyokie wrote: They won't drop down a level in football. Mark my words....they WILL drop football and reapply for Big West membership in all other sports.
It is possible considering their economic situation. Saying their AD is in dyer straights would be an understatement. The only SJSU sport I think could survive is baseball and maybe they'll indeed end up in the big west along w/ UH.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

uhwarrior23 wrote:
wyokie wrote: They won't drop down a level in football. Mark my words....they WILL drop football and reapply for Big West membership in all other sports.
It is possible considering their economic situation. Saying their AD is in dyer straights would be an understatement. The only SJSU sport I think could survive is baseball and maybe they'll indeed end up in the big west along w/ UH.
It'll happen. Now if SJSU was located out of California I could see them moving down to I-AA AKA FCS status and joining the Big Sky. But since SJSU is in California, safe bet they'll drop fooball. My guess: they'll announce it in June, after La. Tech and NMSU announce next month that both are moving back to the Sun Belt Conference in 2012.