Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
mainlandkid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

way too early

Post by mainlandkid »

but just thinking, with the schedule and we beat Washington, BYU, and LA Tech on the road you guys think it is possible for the warriors to go back to the BCS?

kf2.0
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: way to early

Post by kf2.0 »

post deleted
Last edited by kf2.0 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmugDude
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by SmugDude »

I think the UW game will be the big early test. And yes they will have a new QB, but just look at how they played against a nationally ranked cornhusker team. As their defense looks very solid. Especially Jamora at DE - who will likely be going up against either Hansen or one of our young OL prospects (ie Shigematsu, Loeffner, etc).

So while this schedule does leave a lot of possibilities the UW game is very key and I think folks shouldn't necessarily sleep on Nevada or LaTech in conference.

Also just something to point out, since UH has been on this 1 home game 2 road games kick to start the season they have yet to win the second game of that road trip. See losses at: UNLV and Colorado. So there's something to be said for the schedule causing unseen difficulties as well.

GBSmitten
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by GBSmitten »

Washington is not a premier bcs team who usually can just reload any top 5 player at that position and not skip a beat. Look what happened to Texas after Mccoy went to the NFL, losing season? a 5-7 season for Washington is very much a possibility, perhaps even worse. Hawaii still cant take them lightly, since colorado took us behind the shed, and beat us silly.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

No......They'll consider the schedule overall way too weak. Not to mention, I think UH going undefeated is far-fetched all together. I think people underestimate the issues Hawaii may have offensively next year. You don't just "re-load" when losing Greg Salas, Kealoha Pilares, and Alex Green.

kf2.0
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kf2.0 »

post deleted
Last edited by kf2.0 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

J-Rod wrote:No......They'll consider the schedule overall way too weak. Not to mention, I think UH going undefeated is far-fetched all together. I think people underestimate the issues Hawaii may have offensively next year. You don't just "re-load" when losing Greg Salas, Kealoha Pilares, and Alex Green.
2007 Warrior team that went undefeated and secured a Sugar Bowl berth had a cream puff OOC schedule. This year’s OOC opponents (Colorado, Washington, Tulane, Oregon State, BYU, and UNLV) are head-and-shoulders “mo betta”, even without Boise State.

If the Warrior’s run the table, definitely Hawaii will be ranked in the top 10 and be assured of a BCS invite.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

seasider wrote:
2007 Warrior team that went undefeated and secured a Sugar Bowl berth had a cream puff OOC schedule. This year’s OOC opponents (Colorado, Washington, Tulane, Oregon State, BYU, and UNLV) are head-and-shoulders “mo betta”, even without Boise State.

If the Warrior’s run the table, definitely Hawaii will be ranked in the top 10 and be assured of a BCS invite.
That is a monster if. Again, like I said in another thread, go re-watch the Tulsa game and then think about predicting UH to go 13-0 again. People very much underestimate the presence of both Salas and Pilares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sst-5Prby5o

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

seasider wrote:
J-Rod wrote:No......They'll consider the schedule overall way too weak. Not to mention, I think UH going undefeated is far-fetched all together. I think people underestimate the issues Hawaii may have offensively next year. You don't just "re-load" when losing Greg Salas, Kealoha Pilares, and Alex Green.

we wont be ranked that high if we do run it. we start too far out of the rankings, the sugar bowl and the last two hawaii bowls are going to be remembered, and without a marquee win (do you really think anyone but byu has a shot at a ranking on our schedule?) we wont get the national hype or the rankings boost the huge win against boise gave us in 07. its not going to happen. and thankfully, i dont want it too. the bcs is going to hand pick a beast d line against us if we make it, just like in 07, where we had three terrible matchups, and i blame it all on the BCS making sure we had a bad matchup. they could have put us against kansas or illinois, which would have made for better games all around, but i think they wanted us to lose after the boise win in 06. we couldnt have drawn a worse matchup.

but if we do run the table, guranteed we dont get higher than 15, because in that scenario, im guessing we dont get ranked until at least the 6th or 7th week.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Mariners
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Raiders

Post by gambit_808 »

GBSmitten wrote:Washington is not a premier bcs team who usually can just reload any top 5 player at that position and not skip a beat. Look what happened to Texas after Mccoy went to the NFL, losing season? a 5-7 season for Washington is very much a possibility, perhaps even worse. Hawaii still cant take them lightly, since colorado took us behind the shed, and beat us silly.
they say this about UW every year.

yet they choke.

its about high time kids realize that UW isnt a big program. they had the dawgfather era...AND THATS IT.

gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Mariners
NFL: Raiders

Post by gambit_808 »

J-Rod wrote:
seasider wrote:

That is a monster if. Again, like I said in another thread, go re-watch the Tulsa game and then think about predicting UH to go 13-0 again. People very much underestimate the presence of both Salas and Pilares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sst-5Prby5o
having key recievers that can get YAC and make plays are big (like pilares and salas). also, a TRUE understanding of the routes is essential. gonna be rough for some of the guys.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

I think it's very possible. We have a Heisman candidate QB returning and enough skilled guys to continue to be dominant offensively. Not to mention a great recruiting class! I think this team will be even better on defense and ST. Colorado and @Udub will be tough but those are very winnable games. BYU will be very highly ranked by the time they can come here in Dec. If Hawaii beats the Cougs and finishes undefeated, they should be in the top 12. Just hopefully no other Non-AQ finishes higher than us. BSU and TCU are the only threats . Hopefully those schools in the MWC beat each other up.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

uhwarrior23 wrote:I think it's very possible. We have a Heisman candidate QB returning and enough skilled guys to continue to be dominant offensively. Not to mention a great recruiting class! I think this team will be even better on defense and ST. Colorado and @Udub will be tough but those are very winnable games. BYU will be very highly ranked by the time they can come here in Dec. If Hawaii beats the Cougs and finishes undefeated, they should be in the top 12. Just hopefully no other Non-AQ finishes higher than us. BSU and TCU are the only threats . Hopefully those schools in the MWC beat each other up.
Sorry bro....optimism is one thing, but I think 13-0 is far-fetched for even the most positive fan. I think 11-2 is the best case scenario.......too many people dismissing what Alex Green and Salares really meant to the offense.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

well, even with the losses, i think 13-0 is a real possibility. washington, BYU and la tech are by far the biggest threats, and all of them are very beatable with our talent level. will we drop one or two that we could have definitely won? perhaps, and maybe i admit i even expect it. but 13-0 is a distinct possibility and not out of reach imo.

but it wont be enough. we are going to start fairly far down out of the top 25. we were just outside it to start the offseason in 07, and we just barely made the cut. without a marquee win like the boise game that really gave us such a huge boost, the pollsters likely wont care. and the computers WILL hammer us without boise in the WAC. i really dont think we can make it higher than 15. unfair? sure. but unexpected? absolutely not.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

You people are frinkin' impossible!!!!!!!! No chance in he!! Hawaii goes 13-0 this year!!!! You guys have a QB in Moniz who has one of the WORST habits of throwing INTs at worse possible times. Plus you lose your best WRs and your ru8nning game is a piece of junk!!!

13-0 my a$$!!!! In your frinkin dreams......:roll: :roll: :roll:

Heck, I'll make a bet wioth ANY of ya that Hawaii doesn't go 13-0 this year!!!!

Wyoming has a far FAR better shot of going 6-6 than Hawaii going undefeated!!!!!!!