UH offense most "explosive" in nation per ESPN

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
tom-WarriorNation
Play Maker
Play Maker

UH offense most "explosive" in nation per ESPN

Post by tom-WarriorNation »

It is official: The University of Hawaii football team had the most "explosive" offense in the nation last season.

An ESPN study listed the Warriors as No. 1 in "explosion plays" — defined as offensive plays of 20 yards or more — in the 2010 season.

UH had 103 of them, according to the ESPN study, far out-pacing national champion Auburn which was second at 86.

"I figured we were one of the top teams, I just didn't have all the stats," said Nick Rolovich, UH offensive coordinator.

Tulsa (85), Boise State (83) and Oregon (82) rounded out the top 5.

In official NCAA statistics, UH was first in passing offense (394.29 yards per game), sixth in total offense (500.64) and 10th in scoring offense (39.57 points).
WE BELIEVE! GO WARRIORS! Let us grow this Warrior Nation.

mainlandkid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Re: UH offense most "explosive" in nation per ESPN

Post by mainlandkid »

103???? dang never even realized that, i guess i've gotten use to the fact that UH gets a lot of big plays that are 20+ yards

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

mainlandkid wrote:103???? dang never even realized that, i guess i've gotten use to the fact that UH gets a lot of big plays that are 20+ yards
I think we all have, its why despite this, we still complain about overthrows on longballs.

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

H20 wrote:
mainlandkid wrote:103???? dang never even realized that, i guess i've gotten use to the fact that UH gets a lot of big plays that are 20+ yards
I think we all have, its why despite this, we still complain about overthrows on longballs.
Note though, with Salas, Pilares and Green a lot of those big plays were off short passes and runs that were broken for big gains. I think Moniz's lack of accuracy on the long ball IS a concern, especially against the better defenses.
Substance matters.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

dcwarrior wrote:
H20 wrote:
Note though, with Salas, Pilares and Green a lot of those big plays were off short passes and runs that were broken for big gains. I think Moniz's lack of accuracy on the long ball IS a concern, especially against the better defenses.
Does Moniz miss a lot of the long balls?
Ehhhh...he's had some bad games.

The shovel pass and jail break were always the gravy for this offense, just ask Nate Ilaoa....Hawaii's last top ten, all purpose offensive super power.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

RAC
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

H20

Post by H20 »

dcwarrior wrote:
H20 wrote:
Oh it is a concern. What I'm saying is despite the fact that we led the country in big plays, we still found a way to want MORE. This also justifies why I think most other college games and the NFL is so boring.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Moniz missed spring ball last year which hurt his accuracy. I think it is really important for him to connect with the new receivers this spring.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

if moniz had hit his long balls, that would be closer to 153 than 103.

and we have alex green to thank for a lot of this. it seemed every run against NMSU was over 20 yards :lol:
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

H20 wrote: Oh it is a concern. What I'm saying is despite the fact that we led the country in big plays, we still found a way to want MORE. This also justifies why I think most other college games and the NFL is so boring.
I take the long play thing with a grain of salt, given how much trouble UH had against the better teams on the schedule. If Moniz was able to hit his wideouts more, the loss of Pilares may not have hurt so much against BSU.
Substance matters.

H20

Post by H20 »

dcwarrior wrote:
H20 wrote: Oh it is a concern. What I'm saying is despite the fact that we led the country in big plays, we still found a way to want MORE. This also justifies why I think most other college games and the NFL is so boring.
I take the long play thing with a grain of salt, given how much trouble UH had against the better teams on the schedule. If Moniz was able to hit his wideouts more, the loss of Pilares may not have hurt so much against BSU.
I agree, he needs to be able to hit that cause we don't know yet what we have in the YAC department. I think we'll be ok, but we need to hit that long ball more

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Bananas! Hawaii's O took a few years off after JJ left but we back now! 8)

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

To be within the top 10 is great...
To rank with the top 5, amazing!
To be numero UNO.... sweet!...

Without one of the threee, Salas... Pilares... or Green, we probably would have still been within the top ten... So, I think we can safely say that we're baaaaack... and more than likely to stay... at least in the top ten!

Whootah! GO Warriors!

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

This is Moniz's year to prove he can do it all. All he has to do is do his best at what he can do and the wins will come like candy. If he has some bad games like he did against Tulsa, second half at Colorado, and the slow starts in other games he might not be so lucky without Green in the backfield.

We will be watching him closely this year since he is a senior. He can't be taking any hits like he did last year either.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”