WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
palolo cruza
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:39 pm

WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by palolo cruza »

Congrats Warriors on an awesome season and proving nay-sayers wrong. Your hard work, dedication and personal belief in the coaches, trainers and brothers in arms have resulted in a season to remember.

We still have a few games on our way to an unimaginable 11-win season, but looking ahead, aren't we the favorites to win the WAC next year?

we lose a ton of senior talent (o-line, slots, db's) but:
- Moniz is back, armed and ready
- DL and LB's will be killing
- Oline does look set for the next few years
- With the MWC announcement, recruiting might be favorable
- Boise's out
- Kapernik is done
- Fresno at home
- Idaho's qb is done
- Utah State qb is done
- and the rest of the WAC???? . . . well, is the rest of the WAC

Just a thought. . . don't want to take away anything from the next two games, but just a shout-out that next year looks bright too!

kalilwayne
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:00 pm
Location: Las Vegas via Nanakuli, Hi.

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by kalilwayne »

Lousiana Tech in Ruston is always tough. I have no idea what they return but I kow that will probably be a battle. As for Nevada they still have some talent returning, Ball, Matthews etc...I just hope that we cam play them early enough in the season so that the new faces don't have enough time to gel. I do think that we will probably be 1st or 2nd in the preseason poll and will have a great chance.

User avatar
season ticket holder
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by season ticket holder »

I agree Ruston is not an easy travel and conflicting schedules puts us in Reno mid October or later.
Might look a little spooky at WR, Pollard coming back but not a lot of playing time overall from the futures.
Not too worried though seems like someone always steps up. Plus it's the system not the talent right? :roll:

We weren't favorites this year and look what happened.
WAC champs? BCS better watch out! 8)

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 12509
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:44 pm
NFL: Denver Broncos
Location: Hawaii

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by xer 21 »

season ticket holder wrote:I agree Ruston is not an easy travel and conflicting schedules puts us in Reno mid October or later.
Might look a little spooky at WR, Pollard coming back but not a lot of playing time overall from the futures.
Not too worried though seems like someone always steps up. Plus it's the system not the talent right? :roll:

We weren't favorites this year and look what happened.
WAC champs? BCS better watch out! 8)
without boise in the WAC, given that nevada will likely not be nearly as good next year and a mediocre OOC schedule, undefeated might not be enough.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

JWarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2836
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:39 am
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: Atlanta Falcons
Location: Hawaii in Spirit. Fort Worth in reality!

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by JWarrior »

kalilwayne wrote:Lousiana Tech in Ruston is always tough.
I am looking forward to that game. Hopefully I'll be able to go to it again.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 21278
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:33 pm

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by J-Rod »

I see UH losing max 4 games (Combination of @Washington, BYU, @La Tech, Colorado, @Nevada) With an outside chance at running the table. BYU and Colorado at home may prove to be tougher than any WAC game next season.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 12509
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:44 pm
NFL: Denver Broncos
Location: Hawaii

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by xer 21 »

J-Rod wrote:I see UH losing max 4 games (Combination of @Washington, BYU, @La Tech, Colorado, @Nevada) With an outside chance at running the table. BYU and Colorado at home may prove to be tougher than any WAC game next season.
ehh, i dont fear CU at all. we have grown since that game and we wont be playing them after travelling 10000 miles at 7000 feet.

and BYU, they dont really scare me either. its over here, so we dont have to worry about BYU officials :wink: and they are down.

but they will likely be our toughest games along with fresno.

washington loses locker, which is to say, a hell of a lot. i think they lose polk too.

la tech scares me the most, honestly. sonny dykes has done some good things over there, and that trip always sucks.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

User avatar
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 21278
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:33 pm

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by J-Rod »

xer 21 wrote: ehh, i dont fear CU at all. we have grown since that game and we wont be playing them after travelling 10000 miles at 7000 feet.

and BYU, they dont really scare me either. its over here, so we dont have to worry about BYU officials :wink: and they are down.

but they will likely be our toughest games along with fresno.

washington loses locker, which is to say, a hell of a lot. i think they lose polk too.

la tech scares me the most, honestly. sonny dykes has done some good things over there, and that trip always sucks.
Colorado has looked MUCH improved under Cabral....we'll see what they do in the off-season. BYU has improved as well, and we are beginning to see why their QB Jake Heaps was the #1 rated HS QB in the nation last year. With him and Joshua Quezada getting extensive experience this year, they just might be the toughest team UH will play next year. No joke.

I would take UH in Honolulu, but The Huskies are super tough to beat in Seattle. That too will be a very tough game. IMO, BYU and Washington will be much tougher opponents than Tech. But thats just me.

Got a feeling Nevada is going to royally suck next year. Not only do Kap, Taua, and Moch graduate, but I think Ault may call it quits after this year. What does the guy have left to do at UNR? Does he really want to tackle another cycle(Freshman QB, Soph. RB, young O-Line) at his age? I think the dude retires. Think Hawaii 2007 transitioning to Hawaii 2008......but way worse.
Last edited by J-Rod on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 30356
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:08 pm
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats
Location: Banning, CA
Contact:

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Hawaii should be the preseason favorite. Fresno State, La Tech, Reno and Idaho should complete the top 5. I see Hawaii going undefeated in conference. If they can win @UDub and at home against Colorado and BYU, Hawaii could run the table in 2011. BYU will be our toughest opponent along w/ a Colorado team that I think will be much improved now that they got rid of Hawk. @Washington will be a big test early in the season. I see this team winning 11-13 games! Hawaii teams have a history of starting off slow and finishing strong but if they can start of hitting on all cylinders in September, it could be a special season!

palolo cruza
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by palolo cruza »

uhwarrior23 wrote:Hawaii should be the preseason favorite. Fresno State, La Tech, Reno and Idaho should complete the top 5. I see Hawaii going undefeated in conference. If they can win @UDub and at home against Colorado and BYU, Hawaii could run the table in 2011. BYU will be our toughest opponent along w/ a Colorado team that I think will be much improved now that they got rid of Hawk. @Washington will be a big test early in the season. I see this team winning 11-13 games! Hawaii teams have a history of starting off slow and finishing strong but if they can start of hitting on all cylinders in September, it could be a special season!

i agree, but as always, I feel that it will all depend on how fast the O-line gels as well as the rate in which our slots pick up the offense as first stringers

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 12509
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:44 pm
NFL: Denver Broncos
Location: Hawaii

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by xer 21 »

J-Rod wrote:
xer 21 wrote: ehh, i dont fear CU at all. we have grown since that game and we wont be playing them after travelling 10000 miles at 7000 feet.

and BYU, they dont really scare me either. its over here, so we dont have to worry about BYU officials :wink: and they are down.

but they will likely be our toughest games along with fresno.

washington loses locker, which is to say, a hell of a lot. i think they lose polk too.

la tech scares me the most, honestly. sonny dykes has done some good things over there, and that trip always sucks.
Colorado has looked MUCH improved under Cabral....we'll see what they do in the off-season. BYU has improved as well, and we are beginning to see why their QB Jake Heaps was the #1 rated HS QB in the nation last year. With him and Joshua Quezada getting extensive experience this year, they just might be the toughest team UH will play next year. No joke.

I would take UH in Honolulu, but The Huskies are super tough to beat in Seattle. That too will be a very tough game. IMO, BYU and Washington will be much tougher opponents than Tech. But thats just me.

Got a feeling Nevada is going to royally ruck next year. Not only do Kap, Taua, and Moch graduate, but I think Ault may call it quits after this year. What does the guy have left to do at UNR? Does he really want to tackle another cycle(Freshman QB, Soph. RB, young O-Line) at his age? I think the dude retires. Think Hawaii 2007 transitioning to Hawaii 2008......but way worse.
i do think BYU will be a tough game. i just think Sonny Dykes has la techon the right track. and he's unpredictable at play calling which could be hard to defend. but yes, in my opinion, BYU is our next toughest game.

i just dont think CU is going to be able to beat us. the coaching change helps, but we should have a packed house waiting for them so i love our chances. and washington, i think we'll beat them, but am a bit unsure, as they have have to replace locker, and that's huge. they'll have polk, but still. locker will get them to a bowl, what can their backup do?

the main reason i like us winning against CU and WAshington is inexperience. Washington will have to break in a new QB and we get them early in the season. CU will lose hawkins. hansen has game experience, but he's not the most consistent and hasnt played a whole lot in any case.

i think we can fluster them with a lot of returning starters on D.
Last edited by xer 21 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

User avatar
J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 21278
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:33 pm

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by J-Rod »

xer 21 wrote: i just dont think CU is going to be able to beat us. the coaching change helps, but we should have a packed house waiting for them so i love our chances. and washington, i think we'll beat them, but am a bit unsure, as they have have to replace locker, and that's huge. they'll have polk, but still. locker will get them to a bowl, what can their backup do?
The incumbent to Locker is supposed to be Joe Montana's kid. Not exactly a push over. Has potential to be way better than the most overrated player in college football history: Jake Locker.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 30356
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:08 pm
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats
Location: Banning, CA
Contact:

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by uhwarrior23 »

I'll do a little game by game score prediction just for fun. Colorado W 38-28, BYU W 34-31, @Washington L 21-23, UNLV W 42-14, UC-Davis W 59-3, @La Tech W 52-45, Fresno State W 49-17, @Idaho W 45-10, Utah St W 62-21, @Nevada W 31-13, New Mexico St W 66-7, @San Jose St W 55-20, Tulane W 56-3 Record: 12-1 (7-0)
Last edited by uhwarrior23 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmugDude
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by SmugDude »

Montana's kid redshirted this year so he didn't see the field. Their #2 QB this year was RS Freshman Keith Price who was a pretty decently recruited dual threat QB out of CA. Unclear who will have the edge going into spring ball, but given that Price actually got some game action this year due to Locker's injury I'd have to favor Price, but it'll probably be a battle all the way through fall ball.

Which is probably something that actually helps UH as it means fewer reps for the incoming QB.

User avatar
dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2779
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:33 pm
Location: East side of Kauai

Re: WAC Champs!!! . . . Next year too?

Post by dakineguy »

We are losing Greg Salas, Kealoha Pilares, Alex Green, Rodney Bradley and Scott Enos. Try to figure where we would have been today without all of them. Also losing some offensive line guys like Bronson Tiwanak and Adrian Thomas and some others ...sorry can't recall. I know there are some players who are decent but can they replace those players? I think a big post season effort from the team is really needed to contunue to dominate the WAC.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

Post Reply