do we get ranked? --- UPDATE: AP #25 !!!!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
beegpk
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: do we get ranked?

Post by beegpk »

yes we do ... AP #25

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Hawaii #27 in coaches poll

Post by MadCat88 »

Can't find too much to argue about there - I personally think it's a fairly good shakeout of "who can beat who" except among the top 4. Yeah, our Warriors beat down Nevada, and Nevada pulled out a good tight win against Boise (hey, just coming back in the second half is noteworthy)... but an interesting note: All THREE present "WAC frontrunners" won their respective "big conference games" (among the three) at HOME. Reverse the homefield advantage: Nevada at Boise, Hawaii at Nevada, Boise at Hawaii... who knows what "woulda" happened. We might STILL BE in the same situation - with all three teams having one loss each. Probably not; but fun to speculate at this point.

Believe it or not - I do think this coaches poll is very fair and accurate (six times or more out of ten - the higher ranked team will win against the next team down the list). To me, Wisconsin and Ohio St. are a bit of a mystery... all the games I watched were wins (didn't see the losses), and they both looked very impressive. There's no doubt Oregon and Auburn are the top dogs - both are very well rounded teams with lots of talent - but have also shown the something "special" in the team personality that helps them in tough situations (Boise has "it" too - which failed on them this past Friday).

A lot of folks here have felt the 2006 Warrior team was one of, if not the best in the programs history... but what the 2007 team had going for it was that intangible "it" - pulling out those close games, beating Boise... but that "it" failed on them in New Orleans (a subject for another time).

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: do we get ranked? --- UPDATE: AP #25 !!!!!

Post by MadCat88 »

Interesting... Nevada got more love from the AP - but I'm not too sure it's an accurate read of where they are at in terms of how really good that are (could they really win against Oklahoma St.???). The one team Hawaii is "comparable" to is UCF. I like the fact the AP thinks more highly of our Warriors (but oddly not too much of UCF - who I think rather highly of), perhaps because they don't have any "signature wins" this year (outside of of beating Houston)... well, I think we'll all know just how good they are when they play SMU.

Hopefully the Warriors will get a SMACKDOWN win over UNLV this week... and get a nice boost from that (hopefully a point or two in the AP - and a top 25 from the coaches), before the Hawaii Bowl. :D

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: do we get ranked?

Post by MadCat88 »

uhwarrior23 wrote:
Pliny wrote:I don't think we do. We beat Nevada at home and all the voting donkeys think that it's hard to travel here and play, but never take into consideration when we travel and lose. When we lose it's cause we suck not cause it's hard to travel.
Sadly you're right. Does Hawaii deserved to get ranked? Heck yeah! Will they? Probably not because we don't get the recognition we deserve. Hawaii manhandled Nevada! That was no fluke!
Agree... but that's the price of having our team out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean; if the Nevada game was in Reno... and we had exactly the same results, the Warriors would of gotten much more love from the AP voters I believe (more T.V. coverage assessment earlier on).

rocket808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by rocket808 »

Woo nice...

Respect long past due.

I think espn only shows the bcs top 25... I like how the bcs ranking chooses the winner of the 3 way tie in the big12 and big10.
UH grad
active Hawaii road game attender

GO WARRIORS!!

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

That was a long three year climb back into the ratings. Hopefully we stay there past the close of this season and open up in 2011 on the pre-seasons rankings.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

Here's the writer's that did vote for us.
Ferd Lewis voted us as #25.

LINK:http://www.pollspeak.com/pollstalker/po ... 4&w=14&r=T

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Glad to see Hawai'i make it to the Top 25 in one poll! Great job Warriors!

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

Desert Isle
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Diamondbacks
NBA: Suns
NFL: Cardinals

Post by Desert Isle »

Congrats on the top 25! Not happy my guys dropped out but we don't deserve it right now. :-?

NJ-HAWAII-FAN
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: AZ D-Backs
NFL: Redskins

Post by NJ-HAWAII-FAN »

that is awesome!

3 WAC teams! and one BE team and first time a BE school ahs been in weeks!

funny thing is MWC is gonna get the 3 WAC teams and they still dont have the AQ over the BE? :-?

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

well, here it is. Florida st, West Virginia, Arizona, UCF and Northern illinois all have games left and are slightly ahead of us. FLorida state should lose to va tech and could drop with their fourth loss depending on how bad it is. WEst Virginia plays Rutgers and shouldnt lose, but this is the Big East and lots of crazy stuff happens. Arizona plays ASU and thats a rivalry, anything goes.UCF plays SMU in the championship game and the Mustangs have some momentum and have a good chance at winning. Northern Illinois plays Miami of Ohio, which, while they arent an outstanding team like NIU, they do have a decent defense that could slow NIU down.

we just need two of them to lose, the people behind us are all done with their seasons besides USF who only has one vote; they wont catch us should we beat UNLV.

i think FSU will lose, other than that, looks to ASU or SMU to pull an upset.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

NJ-HAWAII-FAN
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: AZ D-Backs
NFL: Redskins

Post by NJ-HAWAII-FAN »

xer 21 wrote:well, here it is. Florida st, West Virginia, Arizona, UCF and Northern illinois all have games left and are slightly ahead of us. FLorida state should lose to va tech and could drop with their fourth loss depending on how bad it is. WEst Virginia plays Rutgers and shouldnt lose, but this is the Big East and lots of crazy stuff happens. Arizona plays ASU and thats a rivalry, anything goes.UCF plays SMU in the championship game and the Mustangs have some momentum and have a good chance at winning. Northern Illinois plays Miami of Ohio, which, while they arent an outstanding team like NIU, they do have a decent defense that could slow NIU down.

we just need two of them to lose, the people behind us are all done with their seasons besides USF who only has one vote; they wont catch us should we beat UNLV.

not that crazy.... WVU beats them by 40 and as a matter of fact the starting RU QB (freshman) and the backup (Soph who started as a freshamn last year) are BOTH looking to transfer out! :o

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

NJ-HAWAII-FAN wrote:
xer 21 wrote:well, here it is. Florida st, West Virginia, Arizona, UCF and Northern illinois all have games left and are slightly ahead of us. FLorida state should lose to va tech and could drop with their fourth loss depending on how bad it is. WEst Virginia plays Rutgers and shouldnt lose, but this is the Big East and lots of crazy stuff happens. Arizona plays ASU and thats a rivalry, anything goes.UCF plays SMU in the championship game and the Mustangs have some momentum and have a good chance at winning. Northern Illinois plays Miami of Ohio, which, while they arent an outstanding team like NIU, they do have a decent defense that could slow NIU down.

not that crazy.... WVU beats them by 40 and as a matter of fact the starting RU QB (freshman) and the backup (Soph who started as a freshamn last year) are BOTH looking to transfer out! :o
yeah, but just a couple years ago, 3-9 pitt went to WVU and upset them, ruing their BCS hopes.

targets.

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

Stallion wrote:Congrats on the top 25! Not happy my guys dropped out but we don't deserve it right now. :-?
Yeah... but what an awesome game they played. I was rootin' for ya-all. Go geev um hell next year!!!

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

we can finish in the top 25 of the BCS if we win out easily. people see that we are 27th and 28th in the Coaches and harris poll, but a couple games can change that. more importantly, the computers, even after playing bad NMSU, are giving us love 4 of the 6 have us in the top 25.

i looked them up andour 6 computer rankings are

our 13th game will help us, as a couple teams ahead of us will likely lose next week and we get the benfit of a 13 game where others have only 12, which means extra points i believe.

throw out the top and bottom rankings at this moment, and the computers have us at 25th average ranking. if we can raise just a spot or two in the harris and coaches poll with a win next week, we should be able to break into the BCS top 25 with the better computer numbers.

targets.