something that I found....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4484 ... a-proposal

likes/dislikes?

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: WAC expansion ideas....

Post by HawaiianHogster »

That is interesting. If Hawaii wants to stay, which I believe they will try to do if no one else will take them, they will take a big hit big time. We will lose good recruits. We will lose any descent standing we had with the BCS. Support will go away as will the fans. Less money for UH could mean a downgrade of the programs. Less pay for coaches which will bring in coaches that will use uh as a stepping stone. As soon as they get invited they will leave. It would take the WAC about 20 years to build up the WAC to where it was before the brake up.

Hawaii would survive but that is not what I want. I want UH to expand, improve, and make the programs bigger and stronger. Independent here we come.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

mainlandkid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by mainlandkid »

i like the idea of the championship game being in hawaii, bring more tourist to hawaii. but Hawaii won't really "gain an edge" with this type of confence

WA Warrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by WA Warrior »

Hawai'i doesn't have a leg to stand on, especially if there will be inept managers above the AD. Hawai'i better take what it can get to survive and struggle to start all over again. I hate to say it, but it's that option or independence, and that's not so promising either.

Mahalos [*]Red Gun[/color] for the update!!!

N8
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by N8 »

I've been thinking about this all day and I agree 100% with Hawaiianhogster. Staying in the WAC will do alot of damage to our athletic programs. If people think the WAC is weak now I can only imagine what will be said about the new WAC in 2012. In order for our football team to grow we need to find a new conference or go Independant.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

N8 wrote:I've been thinking about this all day and I agree 100% with Hawaiianhogster. Staying in the WAC will do alot of damage to our athletic programs. If people think the WAC is weak now I can only imagine what will be said about the new WAC in 2012. In order for our football team to grow we need to find a new conference or go Independant.
Prosser, Washington? You must get tired of hearing about Kellen Moore all the time.

N8
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by N8 »

Yeah, but worse than that are the UW fans. All they talk about is how great Jake Locker is and how UW was co-national champs like 20 years ago.

Sabut20
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Sabut20 »

Does this article depress anyone else? :(
GO BOWS!

N8
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by N8 »

Yeah, it sucks. UH fans/alumni need to start writing/calling/e-mailing the AD and let him know what we think. He needs to know that this is unexceptable and the fans/alumni are not pleased.

N8
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by N8 »

BTW final post before I go to bed. Have any of you seen the EWU campus? I have it's about the same size as HCC except no COSTCO across the street.

HawaiiMongoose
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiMongoose »

The guy has it about half right. The WAC should rebuild to 12 teams to control travel costs - 6 on each side of the Rockies - but not with Eastern Washington or Montana State. In the west, pick up Montana and Sac State. In the east, add the Texas twins of Texas State and UT San Antonio, plus two non-football schools, the University of Denver and UT Arlington. All of the foregoing have athletic programs with sufficient resources and adequate facilities to compete successfully in the WAC.

MadCat88
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by MadCat88 »

Interesting article - I'm one to think it's only fair that those smaller programs have an OPPORTUNITY to grow and "take it to the next level" (reverbrations of Boise State's rapid climb to the national stage after coming to the WAC come to mind). It's all good. But like all good pie in the sky dreams and hopes... reality will set in. In today's (and for the foreseeable future) economic market - too many small businesses (and college sports programs) are loathe to invest in expansion... the risks are just too high. All the programs mentioned in the article are fine ones... but small (market-wise). They may see entering the WAC (and DIV1 play) as a step up, but will also realize the very high costs involved (flying to Hawaii every other year as an example) as a budget buster.

I don't blame Boise State's decision to move to the MWC (I almost choked there...), it was a smart move for their program - a win-win for all of them. For the WAC, having these smaller market programs join isn't going to expand the WAC's share in the national market much or if at all. It's a lose-lose proposition.

oldhawaiiguy
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by oldhawaiiguy »

Now that BYU has made its move UH should go independent.

Yes, you'll have to schedule more road games particularly with west coast teams whether in the MWC and especially the PAC-10. A once a year game with a big time school anywhere would be fine, offer good exposure and recruitment possibilities (particularly on the west coast). You could do a 2 for 1 with the likes of Alabama/Michigan/Oklahoma and etc where we play there 2 times and they come to the islands once. UH would still have the local bowl game as a goal.

Further, having the other sports in the west coast conference makes tremendous sense competitively and financially.

The WAC is a road to oblivion.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

oldhawaiiguy wrote:The WAC is on the road to oblivion.
Fixed it for ya.

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

wyokie wrote:
oldhawaiiguy wrote:The WAC is on the road to oblivion.
Fixed it for ya.
i thought it was ok the way it was. WAC=road and hawai'i is riding down that road.........cuz the only place that the WAC (road) is taking you is towards oblivion........could it have been understood that way?