8/21/10 Practice

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
NelsonO
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NFL: Dallas

8/21/10 Practice

Post by NelsonO »

Paipai Falemanu sat out practice this morning and Aaron Brown continues to be out, so linebacker Art Laurel took reps with the first team.

Though he was just throwing against the scout team, Bryant Moniz looked very good today as he connected on a bunch of long passes including bombs to Allen Sampson, Kealoha Pilares, and Royce Pollard.

QB Kevin Spain had his arm (and shoulder) in a sling at today’s practice.

The kick-off team got in some work. Back deep to return the kicks were Greg Salas, Royce Pollard, and Allen Sampson.

I noticed for the first time that freshman TJ Taimatuia took some reps at defensive end.

Curiously, Corey Nielsen and the scout team ran a lot of option against the first team defense.

One of the things I like about Coach Aranda is that his defenses are not vanilla. He runs a lot of different alignments, moves players from one side to another on subsequent plays, mixes up coverages, and disguises his blitzes.

In some packages, look for Corey Paredes to play middle linebacker.

Brett Leonard split time between left guard and center. He also wore a different number (#54) today.

The team, or at least most of the team, practiced the Haka after practice. The defensive linemen ran hills after practice.

At the end of practice, the team went into the hurry-up, two-minute drill. To simulate crowd noise during the two-minute drill, they played some very loud music. The coaches must have selected the music which included songs by Al Green. They should have played the primal screams by Jim Donovan after he heard Fresno and Nevada were leaving the WAC.

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 8/21/10 Practice

Post by Waryor »

NelsonO wrote:Paipai Falemanu sat out practice this morning and Aaron Brown continues to be out, so linebacker Art Laurel took reps with the first team.

Though he was just throwing against the scout team, Bryant Moniz looked very good today as he connected on a bunch of long passes including bombs to Allen Sampson, Kealoha Pilares, and Royce Pollard.

QB Kevin Spain had his arm (and shoulder) in a sling at today’s practice.

The kick-off team got in some work. Back deep to return the kicks were Greg Salas, Royce Pollard, and Allen Sampson.

I noticed for the first time that freshman TJ Taimatuia took some reps at defensive end.

Curiously, Corey Nielsen and the scout team ran a lot of option against the first team defense.

One of the things I like about Coach Aranda is that his defenses are not vanilla. He runs a lot of different alignments, moves players from one side to another on subsequent plays, mixes up coverages, and disguises his blitzes.

In some packages, look for Corey Paredes to play middle linebacker.

Brett Leonard split time between left guard and center. He also wore a different number (#54) today.

The team, or at least most of the team, practiced the Haka after practice. The defensive linemen ran hills after practice.

At the end of practice, the team went into the hurry-up, two-minute drill. To simulate crowd noise during the two-minute drill, they played some very loud music. The coaches must have selected the music which included songs by Al Green. They should have played the primal screams by Jim Donovan after he heard Fresno and Nevada were leaving the WAC.
primal screams or girly crying?

thanks for the recap

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Was there and took photos of the whole practice but towards the end a guy from UH walked over and said no photography so I won't post 'em. Ran into nelsonO, uhwarriors, and chawancut today - I also had a nice breakfast on the hill from the KCC farmers market while taking shots so the morning wasn't a complete waste :D

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

NelsonO thank you for that great report. It is great reading something positive for once.

I have many questions for you if you want to answer them.

How did the team look as far as pep in their step? Were they easy going? Did they look like they were having fun? Did they appear sharp on their routes and blocking assignments? Was the defense all over the place and able to make the tackle? Were there any interceptions? If the WR's were not open or the rush from the defense was too much did Moniz run for it or throw it out of bounds?

How would you rate them from last years team during fall camp? About the same? Further ahead?

Thanks again. I always love reading these reports.

Sorry one more thing. I remember last year Moniz throwing arm was very sore from throwing allot of passes. Could you tell if his arm was tired or not?
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

primal screams or girly crying?

thanks for the recap[/quote]

Guarantee they weren't fa__ot screams. HAHAHAHAHA! No ill will intended towards anyone. Get a grip.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

mainlandkid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by mainlandkid »

HawaiianHogster wrote:primal screams or girly crying?

thanks for the recap

Guarantee they weren't fa__ot screams. HAHAHAHAHA! No ill will intended towards anyone. Get a grip.[/quote]

LOL nice one

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

I'm really starting to hear and read nothing but good things about Bryant's development. I'm intigued as to how well he'll do in the USC game. I think he will surprise! 8)