* Going Independent: Cal Poly and UC Davis to Big Sky * 9/7

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: * Going Independent... BYU DONE DEAL 8/18 *

Post by couz808 »

JD is making contacts with the WCC and Big West into being a conference member except for football. I LIKE IT!!! Basketball RPI for UH will be up and also for wmns volleyball. Baseball will have very nice competition especially against Cal State Schools. ALL THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL SO MUCH EASIER!

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/20 ... _West.html

rodfather
All-American
All-American

Post by rodfather »

I caught some of KKEA's talk after Bobby's show this morning. They had this caller from Kahuku who now lives in Vegas visiting family here. He suggested something really out of the box but I think it has a chance of being successful.

He suggested playing "neutral site games" in Vegas. I know we are in talks with UNLV for a series. Assuming that we are not playing UNLV there that year, assuming that UNLV has a bye that Saturday (or we can make it a Thursday or Friday night game) and that Sam Boyd Stadium is available, we can try this option to try to get the East Coast and Midwestern schools on the schedule. If those schools don't want to play UH in Hawaii in the middle of their conference schedule citing jet lag, let's play the game on "the 9th island." It's closer.

The Boise St./Va. Tech game this year is on a "neutral site." Notre Dame sometimes plays games at a neutral site to booster its recruiting...(they played Washington St. in San Antonio a couple of years ago.)
"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat." --- Jigoro Kano, The Founder of Judo

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

rodfather wrote:I caught some of KKEA's talk after Bobby's show this morning. They had this caller from Kahuku who now lives in Vegas visiting family here. He suggested something really out of the box but I think it has a chance of being successful.

He suggested playing "neutral site games" in Vegas. I know we are in talks with UNLV for a series. Assuming that we are not playing UNLV there that year, assuming that UNLV has a bye that Saturday (or we can make it a Thursday or Friday night game) and that Sam Boyd Stadium is available, we can try this option to try to get the East Coast and Midwestern schools on the schedule. If those schools don't want to play UH in Hawaii in the middle of their conference schedule citing jet lag, let's play the game on "the 9th island." It's closer.

The Boise St./Va. Tech game this year is on a "neutral site." Notre Dame sometimes plays games at a neutral site to booster its recruiting...(they played Washington St. in San Antonio a couple of years ago.)
It would still be an away game with travel costs. Costs to rent Sam Boyd stadium? UH would receive a better payout if it went to a big name schools stadium. How many games are you talking about? Who is going to fund all of this? If UH plays bottom of WAC type of teams only at home it will lose its fan base.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

RedZone wrote:
rodfather wrote:I caught some of KKEA's talk after Bobby's show this morning. They had this caller from Kahuku who now lives in Vegas visiting family here. He suggested something really out of the box but I think it has a chance of being successful.

It would still be an away game with travel costs. Costs to rent Sam Boyd stadium? UH would receive a better payout if it went to a big name schools stadium. How many games are you talking about? Who is going to fund all of this? If UH plays bottom of WAC type of teams only at home it will lose its fan base.
UH vs Wisconsin @ Sam Boyd would sell out months in advance and be the biggest crowd at Sam Boyd for the year. I'd go and i know lots of other people who would make the trip as well.

unkosolz
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by unkosolz »

At first, I was against going independent because of the money UH gets through the revenue sharing of the WAC. Looking at it now, unless there's an invite to the MWC (would be like waiting for rain in the desert), the best way to go is to take the football program into independence. Let's face it, the WAC is losing their breadwinner (Boise) and two other programs that have been at the top half of the conference for quite some time (Fresno & Nevada). Who's left? Idaho, who ended their bowl game drought last season. LaTech, who will move soon (who wants to travel to Ruston every other year?). USU, who's most likely moving to the MWC. SJSU and NMSU. All of these teams are bottom feeders and don't really bring too much financially. Do we really want to be stuck with these teams? Yes, we might not have a comfortable home schedule if we go independent. But in the end it there would be nothing left for UH if they stay in the WAC. You have the freedom to do things and you don't have to worry about revenue sharing.
E Pa`a Ka Mana`o I Ka Pono I `Oi A`e

HawaiianHogster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HawaiianHogster »

I think neutral sights are a good idea. Play in California, Oregon, Washington, Vegas. We could get the big dogs to play us there who wouldn't even think about coming to Hawaii. ESPN, fox, comcast, cbs, abc, etc... would show it prime time.
“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”

mainlandkid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by mainlandkid »

another thing good about a neutral site on the west cost is that you expand the fan base on the mainland, bad thing about it is that the team will probably be jetlagged making that trip

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

********BREAKING NEWS**********

http://network.yardbarker.com/All_Sport ... st/3116636

BYU is staying in the Mountain West.

Houston expected to be added as the 12th in the conference soon.

If Houston does go to the MWC, I fully expect Louisiana Tech to be going to C-USA to take over for Houston.

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Well that sucks

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

wyokie wrote:********BREAKING NEWS**********

If Houston does go to the MWC, I fully expect Louisiana Tech to be going to C-USA to take over for Houston.
So byu just screwed us over. Again
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

wyokie wrote:********BREAKING NEWS**********

It's not a done deal yet. Yes BYU is leaning towards staying in the MWC. We'll probably no for sure either way some time today.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

At this point, the way dominos have fallen I can't blame BYU, or L Tech if they leave the WAC.

I do blame WAC commissioner and others at a decision making level for essentially not doing squat to improve, or even preserve the WAC. How can someone like him NOT get fired - whether his fault or not. The end result, at least at this point, is tragic.

What will our AD do now? I have confidence that he'll do SOMETHING . . . but do hope he's not in over his head.
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Grinch wrote:At this point, the way dominos have fallen I can't blame BYU, or L Tech if they leave the WAC.

I do blame WAC commissioner and others at a decision making level for essentially not doing squat to improve, or even preserve the WAC. How can someone like him NOT get fired - whether his fault or not. The end result, at least at this point, is tragic.

What will our AD do now? I have confidence that he'll do SOMETHING . . . but do hope he's not in over his head.
Yup, Benson should get canned! HE hasn't done much to improve the WAC. Hopefully we can make it as an independent and the Big West will accept our non-f-ball sports.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Probably won't happen - but I'd ask JJ if he can do anything to help. Who knows, maybe he can pursue getting UH into their conference. Some don't care for JJ, but one thing about him - he gets things accomplished, or tries everything possible.

He should take over Benson's job. Benson should join Herman Frazier someplace. :lol:
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Grinch wrote:Probably won't happen - but I'd ask JJ if he can do anything to help. Who knows, maybe he can pursue getting UH into their conference. Some don't care for JJ, but one thing about him - he gets things accomplished, or tries everything possible.

He should take over Benson's job. Benson should join Herman Frazier someplace. :lol:
I don't understand why any REAL Warrior fan wouldn't like June Jones. He put Hawaii football on the map, period! BTW, didn't JJ want us to go independent?