mainlandkid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Re: USC vs. HAWAII 2010 thread

Post by mainlandkid »

xer 21 wrote:
HawaiianHogster wrote:While we're on national TV maybe we should have signs on how we feel about Fresno State, Nevada, and Boise State bolting for the back stabbing MWC conference.
i would make a sign but i dont think i could resist the profanity
Not that hard to make a sign with out profanity

Fresno State+Nevada+BS=SELFISH

gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Mariners
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Raiders

Post by gambit_808 »

MWC=MotherFN Wifebeating Coxsuckers.

That's my sign.

gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by gambit_808 »

wait wait....

it should be M.W.C.

MotherFers, Wifebeaters, and Coxsuckers

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Fullback Stanley Havili dislocated his shoulder and will not have anymore contact for the rest of training camp. He will wear a strap to keep his shoulder in place and should be ready to go against Hawaii.

Offensive lineman Butch Lewis will be out another week. Defensive end Nick Perry is no longer wearing a walking boot. He hopes to make it back for the Hawaii game. Marquis Simmons had his appendix removed last Friday. He will be out two to four weeks.

Coach Kiffin mentioned to the media that he may consider having some players go both ways on offense and defense the next few years. This is a result of the 30 scholarships USC will lose due to the NCAA sanctions. USC is currently appealing that ruling.

"That's really been something I've talked about a lot, especially maybe two, three, four years from now when were really down numbers. We could be like old school football, where you may have three or four guys that play both ways because of where the numbers will be at that point. That’s something that we don’t plan on doing this year but down the road maybe something were going to have to.”
One player that is up to the challenge of playing both ways is freshman receiver Robert Woods. He played safety in high school and is up to the challenge. Recently he compared himself to a reverse Charles Woodson. Woods is having a very impressive camp and could be the number two receiver for the opening game against Hawaii.
http://www.trojanwire.com/

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

USC defense dominates final preseason scrimmage, without making a single tackle
Even though tackling is barred to avoid injuries, USC quarterbacks have four passes intercepted, raising new questions about the Trojans offense with season opener at Hawaii less than two weeks away.
read the rest of the story at:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-082 ... 7638.story

mainlandkid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: Dallas Cowboys

Post by mainlandkid »

BigWave96744 wrote:
USC defense dominates final preseason scrimmage, without making a single tackle
Even though tackling is barred to avoid injuries, USC quarterbacks have four passes intercepted, raising new questions about the Trojans offense with season opener at Hawaii less than two weeks away.
read the rest of the story at:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-082 ... 7638.story
this game is winnable now, if they can't find ppl for their positions until right before the game, i expect USC to be running for their lives

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

mainlandkid wrote: this game is winnable now, if they can't find ppl for their positions until right before the game, i expect USC to be running for their lives
The game is always winnable.
Vegas opened the line at 18 and it's fallen to 21 points.
On Maui, I'm beginning to see the faithful USC guys fill up the hotels.
It's a serious program with a serious support system. I am always in awe of this machine.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Enough talk about players suspended or injured. Let's talk about what w have to do to win.

So what can we expect to see from the USC defense?

The USC D will be overconfident. They feel that physically Hawaii should'nt be on the same field. I expect USC to come out in a man D on our receivers and their base D.........4-3-4 and challenge us. They have the speed to play us man.....bump and run. They will play us very tight to close the passing lanes and force us into throwing interceptions or getting to the QB and forcing fumbles. They feel that their safties are as fast or faster then our slots.........and more physical and their LBs can run and shut down our RBs. By playing us tight they will try to take away our short game and expect the DLs to get to the QB. They will test us to throw long and until we can prove that our WRs can break loose and our QB can COMPLETE the long ball they will stay in the man D.

What do w have to do to win? We have to exploit the inexperienced DBs. We need to test the Freshman and Sophs. Lot's of motion to free our receivers and stacking receivers 3 and 4 to either side. We need to show formations that they haven't seen or haven't payed against. Confusing can negate speed.

In the R&S we may not be as fast but we are running to the open space and our QBs will have to read the coverage and complete the pass. We need someone to break some big plays...........YAC for a TD. Getting into redzone football with USC will be a problem for us because they are just faster and stronger.

We also need to throw long. Once we complete the short ones for YAC the field will open up. We need to utilize swing passes to the RBs and bubble screens once the DBs have to play off the ball. If the DBs can continue to play us very tight the swing passes, screens and shovel will not work because everyone is too tight. The running game will only be effective if we can force USC into a 3 man front.

I cannot over emphasize that we need a lot of motion. Ron did not use a lot of motion. That is how we will free up our receivers.

We need to execute and take what the D gives us. Short quick passes in a 4 man front with an occasional long ball and swing passes. Shovel, draws, short passes against a 3 man rush.

At the right time I like showing a swing pass left or right and a screen on the opposite side of the field. I also like stacking 3 to 4 receivers on one side.......confuse the inexperienced DBs. And we need misdirection draw plays they were very effective the later part of 2009.

On D we have to stop the run first. I would not hesitate to blitz the running lanes on first down to try to create 2nd and long. Our best chance at winning is to force Barkley to pass. He is not mobile and he is not accurate. He can throw the pass to the backs, screens and the out. He is not consistent. If we can force Barkley to pass we will get picks. So we need to rotate the DL, play physical and stuff the running lanes. Our front 7 will be the key. I like our DBs. DLs need to stuff the gaps. The DEs need to contain. They cannot give up the outside. They have to force the RBs inside. It will come down to LBs getting off of blocks and making tackles.

Force SC to pass.

And it will also come down to coaching. Kiffin vs Mac. I like Mac on this one. I like his experience at D and Kiffen's inexperience at WINNING on his own and the pressure that will be on his shoulders.

I don't think we will score a lot. I see us playing tough D, SMART D, calling the right blitz packages against the pass and run and putting the pressure on Barkley.

Turnovers could be the story line in this game. We can only afford 1.

gambit_808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by gambit_808 »

i think we'll surprise them much like we did florida in the 1st half when we played them @ the swap.

so....we just need to play the WHOLE game.

bungahead
All-conference
All-conference

Post by bungahead »

TheDuke wrote:Enough talk about players suspended or injured. Let's talk about what w have to do to win.

So what can we expect to see from the USC defense?

The USC D will be overconfident. They feel that physically Hawaii should'nt be on the same field. I expect USC to come out in a man D on our receivers and their base D.........4-3-4 and challenge us. They have the speed to play us man.....bump and run. They will play us very tight to close the passing lanes and force us into throwing interceptions or getting to the QB and forcing fumbles. They feel that their safties are as fast or faster then our slots.........and more physical and their LBs can run and shut down our RBs. By playing us tight they will try to take away our short game and expect the DLs to get to the QB. They will test us to throw long and until we can prove that our WRs can break loose and our QB can COMPLETE the long ball they will stay in the man D.

What do w have to do to win? We have to exploit the inexperienced DBs. We need to test the Freshman and Sophs. Lot's of motion to free our receivers and stacking receivers 3 and 4 to either side. We need to show formations that they haven't seen or haven't payed against. Confusing can negate speed.

In the R&S we may not be as fast but we are running to the open space and our QBs will have to read the coverage and complete the pass. We need someone to break some big plays...........YAC for a TD. Getting into redzone football with USC will be a problem for us because they are just faster and stronger.

We also need to throw long. Once we complete the short ones for YAC the field will open up. We need to utilize swing passes to the RBs and bubble screens once the DBs have to play off the ball. If the DBs can continue to play us very tight the swing passes, screens and shovel will not work because everyone is too tight. The running game will only be effective if we can force USC into a 3 man front.

I cannot over emphasize that we need a lot of motion. Ron did not use a lot of motion. That is how we will free up our receivers.

We need to execute and take what the D gives us. Short quick passes in a 4 man front with an occasional long ball and swing passes. Shovel, draws, short passes against a 3 man rush.

At the right time I like showing a swing pass left or right and a screen on the opposite side of the field. I also like stacking 3 to 4 receivers on one side.......confuse the inexperienced DBs. And we need misdirection draw plays they were very effective the later part of 2009.

On D we have to stop the run first. I would not hesitate to blitz the running lanes on first down to try to create 2nd and long. Our best chance at winning is to force Barkley to pass. He is not mobile and he is not accurate. He can throw the pass to the backs, screens and the out. He is not consistent. If we can force Barkley to pass we will get picks. So we need to rotate the DL, play physical and stuff the running lanes. Our front 7 will be the key. I like our DBs. DLs need to stuff the gaps. The DEs need to contain. They cannot give up the outside. They have to force the RBs inside. It will come down to LBs getting off of blocks and making tackles.

Force SC to pass.

And it will also come down to coaching. Kiffin vs Mac. I like Mac on this one. I like his experience at D and Kiffen's inexperience at WINNING on his own and the pressure that will be on his shoulders.

I don't think we will score a lot. I see us playing tough D, SMART D, calling the right blitz packages against the pass and run and putting the pressure on Barkley.

Turnovers could be the story line in this game. We can only afford 1.

. . . geez. . . you think Coach McMackin can remember all of that???

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Now that Leonard has gone down with a strained knee someone really needs to step up on the oline. First we lose Lefiti then Pepa gets banged up and now Leonard. That is 3 of the five who probably would have been starters the first game. Pepa will probably be back but we will have to await the MRI report on Leonard.

We need to keep our olinemen healthy.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

try adding some value once in awhile.........geez

bungahead
All-conference
All-conference

Post by bungahead »

TheDuke wrote:
try adding some value once in awhile.........geez
. . . well. . . if the coach can't remember all of the things he has to have done, then that's not a good thing, is it??

Maybe you should also come up with a simplified and/or prioritized game plan as well. . . not only because there's A LOT that is going on in yours, but also in case they don't have time to re-scheme and implement everything in your plan. . . from what I've seen, UH game plans are being developed up to a month in advance. . . and according to Stephen Tsai, UH started introducing and implementing the old game plan today. Geez. . . I hope there's time. . .

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Do you have any thoughts on a game plan? Besides what is in the papers or on other boards.

Doesn't look like it?

bungahead
All-conference
All-conference

Post by bungahead »

TheDuke wrote:Do you have any thoughts on a game plan? Besides what is in the papers or on other boards.

Doesn't look like it?
You're right, I don't have any technical/playbook ideas for a game plan. But, then again, I didn't see "game plan" in the title of this thread, so I didn't feel bound to limit my comments to such issues, if I ever feel limited by such bounds in the first place.

I actually consider it silly to do armchair qb'ing/coordinating on the internet. In my mind, that's the coaches' responsibility. They're the one's getting paid for, and working full time at the job. They have access to the film, the tendency breakdowns, the inside scoops on what's going on with their players, and the eyes on the practice field about what is and isn't possible. That being said, I also consider them, for many but not all of those reasons, fully accountable for whatever happens on the field.

Seems to me that if the coaches are doing their jobs AND you are right in your analysis, then we will see your analysis come to fruition on the field against SC. Yet, THAT being said, somehow I doubt we will see ALL of your analysis come to fruition on the field. Obviously, that would mean either you are not right, or the coaches are not doing their jobs. Take your pick.

Then again maybe you've hit directly and spot on on head, in which case, :hello1: Also, in which case, I'm sure Monte and Lane Kiffin have been staying up late the past two nights dissecting your post.

p.s. Although, don't get me wrong, I don't dispute in any way your right to post what you think the game plan should be. I wouldn't question that right or even the particulars of it. But, when you post something like that, I'd assume you would be prepared for a variety of responses, including posts that don't reflect unconditional admiration and agreement.
Last edited by bungahead on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.