bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Rawlins-Crivello

Post by bigislandkurt »

I heard a Rumor that former Boise Linebacker from Molokai Kapono Rawlins-Crivello is currently enrolled at UH and planning on walking on next year. Any truth to that? Does anybody remember watching this boy in the past? What you guys think? Might be just a rumor, but we'll see.

BIK
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Rawlins-Crivello

Post by Waryor »

hmmmm. interesting.

i don't see him on the boise roster, so it could be a possibility

on the other hand, isn't there a rule that to transfer to a wac member, you have to sit out two years?

since he graduated in 2006, that would give him only one year of eligibility. none, if he only transferred this year.

rey808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by rey808 »

100% TRUE!!! :hello1:

PIAA DS
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by PIAA DS »

Waryor wrote:hmmmm. interesting.

on the other hand, isn't there a rule that to transfer to a wac member, you have to sit out two years?

since he graduated in 2006, that would give him only one year of eligibility. none, if he only transferred this year.
If when he left Boise (and thats is true), they gave him a release to UH, he would only have to sit out one year. 9 times out of 10 schools within the same conference wont give a release to the other, thus the 2 year rule. A perfect example is Scott Smith, who just transfered to Arizona from Cal, he only has to sit out one year since Cal gave him a release. On the other hand if you dont get the release (which is more likely than not) the player can go to a JC for one year then transfer and play in the same conference without a relase, any obligation or any worries.

Southbay
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Southbay »

Good info to know. Thanks Doris. I didn't know about the JC route where they only have to go for one year before transferring.

A couple of questions:

Did Cal really not give Scott Smith a release to go to UH?
Was Scott ever interested in coming back to play for UH?

It just seems strange that Cal would give him a release to play for Arizona who they have to play in-conference every year.

Thanks.

PIAA DS wrote:

If when he left Boise (and thats is true), they gave him a release to UH, he would only have to sit out one year. 9 times out of 10 schools within the same conference wont give a release to the other, thus the 2 year rule. A perfect example is Scott Smith, who just transfered to Arizona from Cal, he only has to sit out one year since Cal gave him a release. On the other hand if you dont get the release (which is more likely than not) the player can go to a JC for one year then transfer and play in the same conference without a relase, any obligation or any worries.

Southbay

Post by Southbay »

Good info to know. Thanks Doris. I didn't know about the JC route where they only have to go for one year before transferring.

A couple of questions:

Did Cal really not give Scott Smith a release to go to UH?
Was Scott ever interested in coming back to play for UH?

It just seems strange that Cal would give him a release to play for Arizona who they have to play in-conference every year.

Thanks.

PIAA DS wrote:

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by bigislandkurt »

If we see him out for UH next year, I guess BSU was gracious enough to give him a release. So Doris, what if he went to a community college here at home and got an AA degree? Would this have any affect on the two year intra-conference transfer rule? After all, we don't have any JUCO's here and I know for a fact that he is at home.

BIK

dcwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dcwarrior »

Southbay wrote: It just seems strange that Cal would give him a release to play for Arizona who they have to play in-conference every year.
I wonder if they have the "enlightened" view that stronger opponents in the PAC-10 increase their SOS and allow their conference mates to win more OOC games? Maybe the WAC should reverse its 2-year rule?
Substance matters.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by bigislandkurt »

I wish they got rid of the whole transfer rule altogether. So long as they are making reasonable progress on their degrees, free Agency for all!

BIK

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

bigislandkurt wrote:I wish they got rid of the whole transfer rule altogether. So long as they are making reasonable progress on their degrees, free Agency for all!

BIK
that sitting out thing is a pretty stupid rule :zook:

Southbay

Post by Southbay »

bigislandkurt wrote:If we see him out for UH next year, I guess BSU was gracious enough to give him a release. So Doris, what if he went to a community college here at home and got an AA degree? Would this have any affect on the two year intra-conference transfer rule? After all, we don't have any JUCO's here and I know for a fact that he is at home.

BIK
What's the difference between a community college and a JC? I almost feel dumb asking this ...

PIAA DS
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by PIAA DS »

bigislandkurt wrote:If we see him out for UH next year, I guess BSU was gracious enough to give him a release. So Doris, what if he went to a community college here at home and got an AA degree? Would this have any affect on the two year intra-conference transfer rule? After all, we don't have any JUCO's here and I know for a fact that he is at home.

BIK
If Kupono went to a JC here, as long as he has his AA degree after completing 24 credits he could transfer to UH. He probably has well more than that but the rule is 24 credits and an AA as a minimum or sit out 2 years if within conference - or one year out of conference. So that would save him a year. But we dont know if Boise gave him a release or not. Maybe Ill ask next week.

Also..re Scott Smith. He didnt ask for a release to UH. Nuff said on that subject.

As far as getting rid of the transfer rule? Nah, not a good idea. What happens if a player from UH wants to transfer and they go to Boise or Fresno or other WAC school, takes his playbook with him? Also then you have players who arent happy and would transfer every year. Messes up coaches ability to coach if they know kids will come and go. What i dont get is that if they transfer from D1 to D1AA they dont sit out but they do vice versa. That is crazy. Usually a D1 player is a stronger player than a d1AA so he goes, plays and makes an impact right away. But a D1AA player has to sit out a year if he moves up? Doesnt make any sense to me at all. But hey, who ever said the NCAA makes any sense at all. Not I. :angel7:

PIAA DS
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by PIAA DS »

dcwarrior wrote:
Southbay wrote: It just seems strange that Cal would give him a release to play for Arizona who they have to play in-conference every year.
I wonder if they have the "enlightened" view that stronger opponents in the PAC-10 increase their SOS and allow their conference mates to win more OOC games? Maybe the WAC should reverse its 2-year rule?
The 2 year rule is an NCAA rule, not a WAC rule. Cal gave SS a release, he still has to sit out a year. If anyone transfers from WAC to WAC if they can get a release, they too can sit out only one year.

PIAA DS
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by PIAA DS »

Southbay wrote:

BIK
What's the difference between a community college and a JC? I almost feel dumb asking this ...
Nothing. Both are two year institutions, both accredited. Just different terminology.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

PIAA DS wrote:
Southbay wrote:

BIK
Nothing. Both are two year institutions, both accredited. Just different terminology.
Yup, it's basically the same. The only difference is Hawaii CC's don't have sports teams.