Report on Call the Coach Show w/ Greg McMackin (title edited

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
User avatar
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 7355
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:52 pm
Location: Honolulu, Hi

Report on Call the Coach Show w/ Greg McMackin (title edited

Post by Sportsbow »

Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin
When: Monday, March 3, 2008
Time: 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Where: Willows
Radio: http://espn1420am.com/
Last edited by Sportsbow on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 30356
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:08 pm
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats
Location: Banning, CA
Contact:

Re: Special Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin.

Post by uhwarrior23 »

Awesome news! \:D/

User avatar
Irse
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13026
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:06 pm
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Special Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin.

Post by Irse »

Thanks
I forgot about that.
ImageImage

User avatar
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 7355
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:52 pm
Location: Honolulu, Hi

Re: Special Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin tonight.

Post by Sportsbow »

A reminder bump! :D

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7953
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:20 am
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers
Location: Kahaluu, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Special Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin tonight.

Post by Scott »

http://www.willowshawaii.com/index.htm

Don't forget it's at the awesome Willow's Restaurant

Image
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Image

User avatar
BigWave96744
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 21933
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:37 pm
MLB: Yankees
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Dolphins

Re: Special Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin tonight.

Post by BigWave96744 »

I heard Mack is bringing a bag full of Goodies for Give Aways..

krazychinaman
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3404
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:02 am
MLB: Phillies
NBA: None
NFL: Patriots
Location: Hong Kong SAR, China PRC

Re: Special Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin tonight.

Post by krazychinaman »

too bad i have no money anyone like treat??? :wink:
Intel I5 2400 Cpu
Biostar TP67b+ Mobo
HIS Iceq turbo 6870 1GB GDDR5 GPU
16gb G'Skill ripclawZ at 1600 DDR3 Ram
60gb Adata S511 Sata 3 SSD
500gb Seagate Sata 3 HDD
Consair GS600 600watt PSU
Coolermaster Elite 370 Case

User avatar
BigWave96744
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 21933
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:37 pm
MLB: Yankees
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Dolphins

Re: Special Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin tonight.

Post by BigWave96744 »

laiho03 wrote:too bad i have no money anyone like treat??? :wink:
HI $0.05 my brutha...
Recycle, make the Aina more Green and treat yourself to the Willows

User avatar
uhwarriors
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10491
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Special Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin tonight.

Post by uhwarriors »

Coach Mack was quite interesting tonight. I was a little preoccupied during the show, but here's what I recall:

Craig Stutzman is a graduate assistant but Coach considers him the receivers coach.

Chris Brown will be a student manager on scholarship and will be working on earning his degree. He is one of Coach's favorite players.

David Aranda is a "genius" with computers and they will use computers to help teach the players.

He'll be coaching the defense but Cal Lee will take over when he is focused on the offense or other things.

George Lumpkin is very valuable to him because he has been around for 32 years and knows everything about the school and how to do things.

Rich Miano is really sharp and is coordinator/head coach material. The secondary was the most improved part of the defense last year.

He believes in and has had teams that ran the run and shoot. Mouse Davis, June Jones and Ron Lee are the best at running the offense. Ron Lee's offense will be a little more back to basics . I took that to mean more like the Mouse Davis version.

The football offices need to be completed for recruiting purposes. They need state of the art video equipment to aid teaching. Cooke Field needs new turf. They need it to practice on rainy days and recruits wonder about the program that doesn't have a turf field.

Bianca Tokumoto, who runs the football operations is very valuable. So much so she is like a coach. June Jones tried to get her to go to SMU with him

He has been given approval to hire a recruiting coordinator and is advertising the position now. He also needs to hire a video coordinator since Lopaka Ornellas left to go to SMU.

He likes to play his "friends". He has friends at BYU (Robert Anae and the head coach) and would like to play them. Similarly he would like to play SMU and Arizona State (he coached with Erickson at Miami and Seattle). Unfortunately the schedule is pretty much set for the next four years.

He has told David Veikune and John Fonoti to get into great shape because they are really good and we're somewhat thin at DE.

Mana Lolotai is going to be a good one. He played on special teams last year.

If a true freshman is ready, he will be given a choice of whether to play or redshirt. Paipai Falemalu may be in this situation this year.

He prefers to recruit and build the program with high school recruits, but he wants to win this year too so he brought in a lot of JC players who could be impact players. Ryan Mouton, Keenan Jones and JP Davies are good corners, but he "didn't want to take a chance" and brought in JC corners. Similarly we have some good receivers who didn't play much last year, but he again "didn't want to take a chance" and brought in 5 JC receivers who can also be kick returners. Also because QB is so important in our offense, he brought in Rausch and Alexander who are two of the best JC QBs in the country to compete with the returning QBs for the job.

They didn't recruit Bo Mitchell because we don't need a high school QB this year. He'll be a good one for SMU.

We're aggressive on offense and defense and he wants to be aggressive on special teams too. He'll try to block kicks.

Daniel Libre and Kealoha Pilares will be moved to SB but will also play RB in certain situations. They are going to do things that always gave him problems as a defensive coordinator such as getting the RB into pass patterns and putting the RB in motion creating 5 receiver situations. Libre and Pilares are really good in the open field.

Leon Wright-Jackson is a "stud" and needs chances to run the ball.

The Haa is part of who we are and will continue.

There will be scrimmages on the last three Saturdays of spring practice.

Next call the coach show will be on 4/21.

User avatar
Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 7355
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:52 pm
Location: Honolulu, Hi

Re: Special Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin tonight.

Post by Sportsbow »

uhwarriors wrote:Coach Mack was quite interesting tonight. I was a little preoccupied during the show, but here's what I recall:

Craig Stutzman is a graduate assistant but Coach considers him the receivers coach.

Chris Brown will be a student manager on scholarship and will be working on earning his degree. He is one of Coach's favorite players.

David Aranda is a "genius" with computers and they will use computers to help teach the players.

He'll be coaching the defense but Cal Lee will take over when he is focused on the offense or other things.

George Lumpkin is very valuable to him because he has been around for 32 years and knows everything about the school and how to do things.

Rich Miano is really sharp and is coordinator/head coach material. The secondary was the most improved part of the defense last year.

He believes in and has had teams that ran the run and shoot. Mouse Davis, June Jones and Ron Lee are the best at running the offense. Ron Lee's offense will be a little more back to basics . I took that to mean more like the Mouse Davis version.

The football offices need to be completed for recruiting purposes. They need state of the art video equipment to aid teaching. Cooke Field needs new turf. They need it to practice on rainy days and recruits wonder about the program that doesn't have a turf field.

Bianca Tokumoto, who runs the football operations is very valuable. So much so she is like a coach. June Jones tried to get her to go to SMU with him

He has been given approval to hire a recruiting coordinator and is advertising the position now. He also needs to hire a video coordinator since Lopaka Ornellas left to go to SMU.

He likes to play his "friends". He has friends at BYU (Robert Anae and the head coach) and would like to play them. Similarly he would like to play SMU and Arizona State (he coached with Erickson at Miami and Seattle). Unfortunately the schedule is pretty much set for the next four years.

He has told David Veikune and John Fonoti to get into great shape because they are really good and we're somewhat thin at DE.

Mana Lolotai is going to be a good one. He played on special teams last year.

If a true freshman is ready, he will be given a choice of whether to play or redshirt. Paipai Falemalu may be in this situation this year.

He prefers to recruit and build the program with high school recruits, but he wants to win this year too so he brought in a lot of JC players who could be impact players. Ryan Mouton, Keenan Jones and JP Davies are good corners, but he "didn't want to take a chance" and brought in JC corners. Similarly we have some good receivers who didn't play much last year, but he again "didn't want to take a chance" and brought in 5 JC receivers who can also be kick returners. Also because QB is so important in our offense, he brought in Rausch and Alexander who are two of the best JC QBs in the country to compete with the returning QBs for the job.

They didn't recruit Bo Mitchell because we don't need a high school QB this year. He'll be a good one for SMU.

We're aggressive on offense and defense and he wants to be aggressive on special teams too. He'll try to block kicks.

Daniel Libre and Kealoha Pilares will be moved to SB but will also play RB in certain situations. They are going to do things that always gave him problems as a defensive coordinator such as getting the RB into pass patterns and putting the RB in motion creating 5 receiver situations. Libre and Pilares are really good in the open field.

Leon Wright-Jackson is a "stud" and needs chances to run the ball.

The Haa is part of who we are and will continue.

There will be scrimmages on the last three Saturdays of spring practice.

Next call the coach show will be on 4/21.
You were a little preoccupied? :o

Damn! That sounded like the entire show you just described. Nice job uhwarriors!
:P

Well, almost the whole show.

Mack said that there were 93 players that tried out to walk-on to UH. UH selected 22 of them.

Going to play attack style special teams this year. That means they will try to block punts and field goal/extra points.

The funniest thing he said was when a caller asked Mack, if you had a short list to get something done, what would it be? One of his answers was about getting Cooke Field fixed that you mentioned. Here's the funny part. He said that Cooke Field is the best Band practice field in the country. :lol:
Good to see that Mack has a great sense of humor also.
:D

Exiled
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 873
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:44 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Special Call the Coach Show with Greg McMackin tonight.

Post by Exiled »

uhwarriors wrote: Daniel Libre and Kealoha Pilares will be moved to SB but will also play RB in certain situations. They are going to do things that always gave him problems as a defensive coordinator such as getting the RB into pass patterns and putting the RB in motion creating 5 receiver situations. Libre and Pilares are really good in the open field.

Leon Wright-Jackson is a "stud" and needs chances to run the ball.

I like the sound of this! A commitment to using the running backs both in the run game and the pass. Perhaps we will see the RB's check then release rather than stay in forever to block against a 3 or 4 man rush. :hello1: :hello1:

User avatar
KonaWarrior
Starter
Starter
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:29 am

Re: Report on Call the Coach Show w/ Greg McMackin (title edited

Post by KonaWarrior »

Thanks for the recap uhwarriors, man I spaced out and missed the whole show. Appreciate it.

Warrior537
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:02 am

Re: Report on Call the Coach Show w/ Greg McMackin (title edited

Post by Warrior537 »

This was more than just a call the coach show for me. I brought my wife who refused to renew her season ticket this year because she was so disenchanted with the whole June Jones thing. When we got there we were standing around looking for somewhere to sit (the place was packed!) when Coach Mac came up to us and thanked us for coming out and supporting the program.

Needless to say my wife was impressed as we've gone to many UH football functions before but never had JJ approach us. Don't get me wrong, if we approached JJ, he'd talk with us but Mac is a hundred times more approachable. He posed for a picture with us and even took his WAC Champs ring off for me to try on and take a pic...too cool. Now my wife is panicking because I told her I sent in the renewal for only my ticket (I didn't send it in yet) but assured her I'd do whatever I can to get her seat renewed...Thanks Coach Mac!

User avatar
uhwarriors
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10491
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Report on Call the Coach Show w/ Greg McMackin (title edited

Post by uhwarriors »

KonaWarrior wrote:Thanks for the recap uhwarriors, man I spaced out and missed the whole show. Appreciate it.
I've done the same many times too.
Warrior537 wrote:This was more than just a call the coach show for me. I brought my wife who refused to renew her season ticket this year because she was so disenchanted with the whole June Jones thing. When we got there we were standing around looking for somewhere to sit (the place was packed!) when Coach Mac came up to us and thanked us for coming out and supporting the program.

Needless to say my wife was impressed as we've gone to many UH football functions before but never had JJ approach us. Don't get me wrong, if we approached JJ, he'd talk with us but Mac is a hundred times more approachable. He posed for a picture with us and even took his WAC Champs ring off for me to try on and take a pic...too cool. Now my wife is panicking because I told her I sent in the renewal for only my ticket (I didn't send it in yet) but assured her I'd do whatever I can to get her seat renewed...Thanks Coach Mac!
Great story. Coach Mack is very personable, a real people person. I think he'll not only win over current fans, he'll make new fans because of his personality.

jediwarrior
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1390
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:04 am

Re: Report on Call the Coach Show w/ Greg McMackin (title edited

Post by jediwarrior »

Warrior537 wrote:This was more than just a call the coach show for me. I brought my wife who refused to renew her season ticket this year because she was so disenchanted with the whole June Jones thing. When we got there we were standing around looking for somewhere to sit (the place was packed!) when Coach Mac came up to us and thanked us for coming out and supporting the program.

Needless to say my wife was impressed as we've gone to many UH football functions before but never had JJ approach us. Don't get me wrong, if we approached JJ, he'd talk with us but Mac is a hundred times more approachable. He posed for a picture with us and even took his WAC Champs ring off for me to try on and take a pic...too cool. Now my wife is panicking because I told her I sent in the renewal for only my ticket (I didn't send it in yet) but assured her I'd do whatever I can to get her seat renewed...Thanks Coach Mac!
Ahhh, too funny dat! :D

Post Reply