Controversy about 'haka' @ BYU too!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Controversy about 'haka' @ BYU too!

Post by kapakahi »

I guess that nowadays lots of people are too sensitive in this time of political correctiveness. Check it out...at least no one here is complaining about the 'haka' for the same reaons like some people are at BYU (Who?)...so far!

http://byu.scout.com/2/598494.html

mauikitty
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by mauikitty »

People need to just hang loose! *sHAKA*

H20
MLB: Not a big fan of MLB.
NBA: Celtics
NFL: Falcons

Post by H20 »

Although many in the U.S. have criticized BYU for doing the haka, many in New Zealand were thrilled to hear that a storied American football team has adopted a Maori custom and shared it with tens of thousands of people.

“They’re going crazy down there,” said Mahuika. “They don’t know exactly what football is, and they don’t watch too much of it, but I just told them that it’s kind of like rugby and then they get some idea at least and can appreciate it.”

The excitement grew so to the point that the largest New Zealand newspaper, The New Zealand Herald, ran a story about the Cougars pre-game haka.

“It definitely is a complement to [New Zealanders],” said Mahuika. “When they heard back in New Zealand that we were doing it over here, it was all over in the news down there. The [New Zealand] Herald called my mom and my mom got a hold of me and they wanted to know what we were doing and why we were doing it. I explained to them and told them that we were doing it at the start of our college football games. They kind of didn’t have the greatest idea of what that is, but when I explained to them that we’re doing it in front of 65,000 people they were like, ‘Wow, that’s unbelievable!’
What? I think Hawaii is talking to the wrong Maori's :-?

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

Although many in the U.S. have criticized BYU for doing the haka, many in New Zealand were thrilled to hear that a storied American football team has adopted a Maori custom and shared it with tens of thousands of people.
Is that what BYU is being viewed as? :rofl: :lol:

And when we do it (a place that literally located in Polynesia), we get the shaft. Nice. [-X
Often wrong...seldom in doubt!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

H20 wrote:

“They’re going crazy down there,” said Mahuika. “They don’t know exactly what football is, and they don’t watch too much of it, but I just told them that it’s kind of like rugby and then they get some idea at least and can appreciate it.”

The excitement grew so to the point that the largest New Zealand newspaper, The New Zealand Herald, ran a story about the Cougars pre-game haka.

“It definitely is a complement to [New Zealanders],” said Mahuika. “When they heard back in New Zealand that we were doing it over here, it was all over in the news down there. The [New Zealand] Herald called my mom and my mom got a hold of me and they wanted to know what we were doing and why we were doing it. I explained to them and told them that we were doing it at the start of our college football games. They kind of didn’t have the greatest idea of what that is, but when I explained to them that we’re doing it in front of 65,000 people they were like, ‘Wow, that’s unbelievable!’
What? I think Hawaii is talking to the wrong Maori's :-?
Either that or there is a ^&#%$# PROFESSOR at the University of Hawaii who is bringing negativity to the UH Football program.

Believe it or not, there are a few Profs who are really mad that JJ is earning more than them and will do anything to come against anything he introduces (ie. Vili the Warrior, the use of the Hawaiian Canned Music, the design on the Jerseys, and even the use of the name "Warriors")... Some people have nothing better to do than cause "Pilikia" [-X

The808Chef
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

Post by The808Chef »

Just out of curiousity...are these professors Hawaii-born? Just wanna know. :-?
Often wrong...seldom in doubt!

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

The808Fringe wrote:

And when we do it (a place that literally located in Polynesia), we get the shaft. Nice. [-X
no kidding.

HELLO! Hawai'i is more closer to NZ than BYWho is :roll: =;

warriorfan808

Post by warriorfan808 »

jhb3043 wrote:
The808Fringe wrote:

no kidding.

HELLO! Hawai'i is more closer to NZ than BYWho is :roll: =;
True, but they do have a University here (BYU-Hawaii)

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

Guys! It's the old missionary mentality....they are all alarmed that the 'heathen' culture they thought they destroyed, has come back to haunt them. It's not JUST the haka, it's every ethnic dance that supposedly was used in the past to defy modern culture!

What these nay sayers are finally realizing is that you may have taken away the language at one time or even the land now....but CULTURE lives within, and until they find away to ERASE a polynesian identity embedded within the soul..................they will always FAIL.

HAKA ON BROTHERS.....HAKA ON!!!!!

Just a note, since Tala is graduating....who's going to lead the haka next year? :o

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

UH needs to invent the "SHAKA HAKA!" :lol:

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

Sportsbow wrote:UH needs to invent the "SHAKA HAKA!" :lol:
I like it!!!!!

makani
High-quality H20 provider

Indigenous Scholars

Post by makani »

I don't know who the professors are at UH that have an issue with the haka. But I do know that many of the strongest critics of the PCC, Waikiki, Vili, etc are in fact indigenous scholars from Hawai'i and elsewhere in Oceania.

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Re: Indigenous Scholars

Post by vailima »

makani wrote:I don't know who the professors are at UH that have an issue with the haka. But I do know that many of the strongest critics of the PCC, Waikiki, Vili, etc are in fact indigenous scholars from Hawai'i and elsewhere in Oceania.
who r the critics from oceania?

mauikitty
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by mauikitty »

COACH BEE wrote:
Sportsbow wrote:UH needs to invent the "SHAKA HAKA!" :lol:
I like it!!!!!
Yes, or my sHAKA. :lol:

makani

Academia

Post by makani »

One that comes to mind is Brendan Hokowhitu--Maori scholar whose interests include Maori masculunity in relation to sport. Also a lot of good work along the lines of cultural representation include T Teiawa, K Teiawa, A Stillman, V Diaz, K Kauanui, R Fonoti--sister of the football playing brothers.