Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Kaniela Tuipulotu

Post by Haynr8dr »

I'm sure this guy out of Kahuku has 100 scholarships waiting on him but, I'm wondering what UH's interest and chances are in him. It's my understanding that many Universities, including UH offer scholarships to juniors in high-school now. Im confident that Kaniela has an offer on the table from June too, I'm just wondering if it was extended last year.

Otherwise, I hope there's a hard-pressed effort to land Kaniela Tuipulotu. He could contribute immediately to a team that is more and more starting to look "homegrown". And the more blue-chippers we can get to play at UH, the better our chances of getting a little respect across the nation. If we were able to keep a lot of our other homegrown products like Olin, Kimo von, and the Kemoeatu brothers... .

There are a lot of excellent offensive and defensive line prospects born - bred and fed here in the Islands.

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

I hope to god that he commits to UH... I think hes so good that he could jump in for Lafaele next year..

lankim
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by lankim »

i think he would be a great run stuffer for us

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

he's good. but i doubt he is better than lafaele next year. maybe in the future, but not next year.

he's also gonna have to learn to play hard every play and not take plays off. other than that, he is a beast. strong, physical, good quickness. i hope he decides to play for UH.

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

Glanville has slowly, but surely turned our defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Kaniela could start at DE, maybe even OLB early, utilizing his quickness until he beefs up a bit. He doesn't have to put on too much more and soon, he's a bonafide college nose guard. Hopefully, he still grows a couple more inches, putting on the pounds is probably not going to be a problem. A training table of food in front of this guy is in trouble. :lol:

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

His current offers are from Tennessee, Boise State, Oregon State, BYU, NMSU, Arizona ... UH made him an offer over the summer, one of the early signs that the staff was going in a new direction to compete with the Pac-10 and WAC schools that were offering early for the past few seasons already.

Kaniela's told me that he's 291 pounds. More weight isn't going to be necessary. I've joked with him that going from 215 as a freshman to 291 is what caused the stress on his Achilles heel and ankle. Might be a little truth to that. He's a genuinely down-to-earth guy and he'll get even better when he gets serious about weight-training in college.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/10/11/sports/story03.html

WarriorMojo
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by WarriorMojo »

Paul, tell him that if he comes to Hawaii, he will have a chance to play running back and win the Heisman trophy.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

I hope we get this guy! JJ did say if we can keep the top local players home, we'll have a chance to be a consistent top 20 team!

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

Well guys, I totally agree! If all our local guys stayed, we could solve a lot of the depth problems ... still need our mainland Warriors, ultimately the combination is unbeatable. (I used to think it wasn't possible, but this year's team is showing me that with the right personnel, and enough depth, UH is capable of beating anybody and possibly going undefeated.)

Kaniela is a very independent guy. He's already been away from home for a few years now, so a move to the mainland wouldn't be totally difficult. I hope he stays, and I wouldn't doubt that this family would love to fly over and watch his games at Aloha Stadium. They miss him dearly, he misses them dearly. But it's his future and I wish him the very best no matter where he ends up. He's a terrific kid.

He laughed when I mentioned to him last month that he could play RB at a certain college I love. He said that there are fullbacks out there who run a 4.5, 4.6 40 ... that he barely can break 5.0, if that. He's happy to play D-line. I still think he could play RB if necessary. He did it three years ago at Lahainaluna, and he looked good there.

seasider
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by seasider »

uhwarrior23 wrote:I hope we get this guy! JJ did say if we can keep the top local players home, we'll have a chance to be a consistent top 20 team!
During Tomey's tenure at UH, I remember one of the national scouting service said the same thing.

BRADAHMAN
Starter
Starter

Post by BRADAHMAN »

Come on Kaniela... Hawaii would appreciate you more than anywhere else.

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

HRC Paul wrote:His current offers are from Tennessee, Boise State, Oregon State, BYU, NMSU, Arizona ... UH made him an offer over the summer, one of the early signs that the staff was going in a new direction to compete with the Pac-10 and WAC schools that were offering early for the past few seasons already.

Kaniela's told me that he's 291 pounds. More weight isn't going to be necessary. I've joked with him that going from 215 as a freshman to 291 is what caused the stress on his Achilles heel and ankle. Might be a little truth to that. He's a genuinely down-to-earth guy and he'll get even better when he gets serious about weight-training in college.

It'll probably be the one who wines and dines him (within the confines of the rules of course). UH seems to be doing the right thing. Oregon State seemed to piss him off this summer at the All Poly Camp. I don't think he'll be going there. His cousins are in LA so that might actually be the only competition with UH at this point. UH seems to be doing a good job making Kaniela feel real important. He was there tonight.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

COACH BEE wrote:
HRC Paul wrote:His current offers are from Tennessee, Boise State, Oregon State, BYU, NMSU, Arizona ... UH made him an offer over the summer, one of the early signs that the staff was going in a new direction to compete with the Pac-10 and WAC schools that were offering early for the past few seasons already.

It'll probably be the one who wines and dines him (within the confines of the rules of course). UH seems to be doing the right thing. Oregon State seemed to piss him off this summer at the All Poly Camp. I don't think he'll be going there. His cousins are in LA so that might actually be the only competition with UH at this point. UH seems to be doing a good job making Kaniela feel real important. He was there tonight.
i hope him and fotu commit this week now...lol. probably wont happen, but we could probably end recruiting season once we get the both of them.

lupchong
Starter
Starter

Post by lupchong »

COACH BEE wrote:

I hope he enjoyed the Haka! He can do the Haka here \:D/ Then go out and dominate on the d-line.
Warrior football, the only game in town
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts" -Daniel Moynihan

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

Yup, you got it, lupchong. I almost forgot ... one of the reasons he wanted to transfer to Kahuku was the haka. (They don't do it anymore, but that's another story.) Man, he's in the right place to represent Poly pride if he comes to UH.

Isn't it kinda funny ... a few years back, JJ said he told his DC (Kevin Lempa at the time) that he wanted the D to take risks, make big plays, do things that would allow the UH offense to get back on the field quickly.

Now, they're moving closer to building a dominant defense, especially if Nai Fotu and Kaniela come to Manoa. Three-and-outs all night will get the offense back on the field quickly. And often :lol: