June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
uhwarriors

Re: JUNE JONES OR BUST!

Post by uhwarriors »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:07 pm
Irse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:48 pm June wants to right the ship but probably wants to do it his way. Not sure Matlin is on board with that. During June's time, academics were secondary. He had guys that were not eligible for the bowl game. I believe one year, it was the starting QB. I think this administration from the Pres. on down is paying more attention to academics. Can June rebuild the program with academics in the forefront? He's never done it that way before. He says he has the formula but the equation might have changed quite a bit. Also, would he be able to bring in guys who have had a brush with the law as he has done in the past? One thing working that could work in his favor is the transfer portal. He is great at evaluating talent and there is a lot of talent there. I like JJ but I can see where Matlin is a bit hesitant.
Probably more than just a bit hesitant.....'cuz JJ is definitely doesn't fit Matlin's usual MO for a HC hire.
Neither was TG. He definitely didn't fit the mold of Rolo, Ah Mow, Ganot and Hill, all who played or coached at UH previously or have a affinity for Hawaii (Hill).

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:34 pm
gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:31 pm I found June Jones interview today offensive especially when talking about Timmy Chang. June Jones just mumbles and lies. He told Timmy Chang it wasn’t a good first HC job? How did it work out for Rolo? Pretty well if you ask me.

So if we get June Jones we also get Miano, both guys haven’t coached college in 10 years. Great…
Very different than when Rolo took over. No stadium, lots of players left and not a good reputation for the program.
I heard it the same way. This is a rock bottom mess way worse than when Chow fired and Rolo was hired. It may not be the right situation for a first time HC.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

uhwarriors wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:20 pm
Irse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:34 pm
gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:31 pm I found June Jones interview today offensive especially when talking about Timmy Chang. June Jones just mumbles and lies. He told Timmy Chang it wasn’t a good first HC job? How did it work out for Rolo? Pretty well if you ask me.

So if we get June Jones we also get Miano, both guys haven’t coached college in 10 years. Great…
Very different than when Rolo took over. No stadium, lots of players left and not a good reputation for the program.
I heard it the same way. This is a rock bottom mess way worse than when Chow fired and Rolo was hired. It may not be the right situation for a first time HC.
With JJ stating that he would like TC on his staff, maybe he's doing one thing he didn't do last time, groom a successor. Wouldn't be bad for JJ to get us out of this mess then turn it over to TC. Just can't ignore the academic part of it and make sure there is discipline on and off the field.
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/KeithDemolder/status/1483636288980807687 https://twitter.com/KeithDemolder/status/1483637158980177920 https://twitter.com/SamSpanglerHI/status/1483682286704885761

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

It’s becoming a situation where if June isn’t named the coach there will be a revolt which I am strongly against and really blame JJ for. Shame on him for what he is pulling. Talk to some SMU folks, they will tell you about JJ.

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

If JJ takes a low salary so he can bring in an all star staff I’ll warm to the idea. But Miano does t excite me at all. Would love Stutz but the vaccine will be an issue.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:02 pm If JJ takes a low salary so he can bring in an all star staff I’ll warm to the idea. But Miano does t excite me at all. Would love Stutz but the vaccine will be an issue.
Miano would rebuild something that we need which is a good walkon program.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

kapakahi wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:33 pm
Irse wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:16 pm Looks like June is really pushing for the job

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01/ ... -uh-coach/
Must've tried the more subtle approach with Matlin the last 2 times (when Chow got fired & when Rolo took the Wazzu job)....'cuz he never made any public statements then.....which turned out to be unsuccessful for him....so would make good sense to try a different approach this time around.
gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:27 pm Also I am the only one who thinks it’s unprofessional and wrong for him to public ally push for the job? He really put Matlin in a really bad spot. Really just shows his character, which I would say is lacking at best.
gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:56 pm It’s becoming a situation where if June isn’t named the coach there will be a revolt which I am strongly against and really blame JJ for. Shame on him for what he is pulling. Talk to some SMU folks, they will tell you about JJ.
No doubt that JJ is definitely taking a different not-so-subtle approach this time around by making openly public statements to gain public support which probably exerts external pressure on Matlin (who is solely responsible for selecting the next UH FB HC)....instead of limiting his discussions to private conversations with Matlin which were obviously unsuccessful the last 2 times he evidently had interest in the applying for the UH FB HC position.

Regardless of JJ's public comments, Matlin cannot afford to make another mistake in hiring the next UH HC this time around....otherwise it might end up being his last opportunity as UH AD to hire the UH FB HC.

I agree that Matlin needs to perform his due diligence research for all prospective HC candidates (including checking with SMU who still has the same AD from JJ's last 3 seasons there) more thoroughly than he evidently researched with ASU (who still has the same AD from Graham's last 3 seasons there when the same verbal abuse issues were claimed by players resulting in starters transferring out) before hiring Graham as the new UH FB HC.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:02 pm If JJ takes a low salary so he can bring in an all star staff I’ll warm to the idea. But Miano does t excite me at all. Would love Stutz but the vaccine will be an issue.
Whatever is fueling your anti Miano feelings is keeping you from seeing the big picture. The way out of this mess is local recruiting - scholarship players and walk-ons. We have more needs than we can fill with 25 scholarships, especially this late in the game. Miano is well connected in the local hs football community and can be extremely valuable in this mass rebuild that needs to happen.

Every area he was involved in while part of JJ's staff had success. We had excellent safeties with him as DB coach, we had amazing walk-ons with him as the walk-on coordinator, and we got a lot of players drafted and getting free agent deals with him as the NFL liaison. The guy did good work. What's the problem?

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:08 pm JJ wants back in as UH Football HC. Rich Miano is withdrawing his application to support JJ as HC. Interesting turn of events.

That said, this may provide a huge opportunity for Matlin, if he wants to consider building a legacy for UH Football with JJ as HC. Jones is 68 and has a few good years left to help rebuild the program. He is willing to rebuild the program. Miano would probably be on his staff on the Defensive side.

Matlin also has Brian Smith, Craig Stutzmann and Timmy Chang applying for the position. What if Matlin were to bring them in on in a collective, negotiated agreement to help rebuild the UH Football program by becoming part of the UH Football Assistant Coaching staff under JJ as HC?

Smith, Stutzmann and Chang could all pack their bags and come on back home. Opportunities for becoming the Head Coach would still be there, just not this year. They could come home, hone their coaching skills, live in Hawaii and work for the Home team, towards the possibility of becoming the HC one day.

Add the experienced Assistant Coaches currently on staff, Coach Yoro, Elimimian, Santa Cruz and McCloud and you have a strong, experienced group of Assistant Coaches that would be loyal to the program and understand Hawaii's culture.

With the probable success of an improved RNS that JJ speaks of, others will come to poach on our UH Football Coaching staff and other opportunities may present itself. In the meantime, they are back home in Hawaii, coaching and living in paradise.
You've described the best case scenario. I hope the stars can align...

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

202Warrior wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:42 pm
poidog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:15 pm Matlin's not gonna hire JJ because he's afraid of JJ and has no balls. the package deal of JJ and Miano is the best option out there, and would be even better if they could get some of the other candidates to commit to joining the staff with them. But Matlin doesn't want to hire people he can't control unless they are praising the lord at every possible moment. I think we'd be fine in time with a Brian Smith or Timmy Chang, but hiring JJ would sell tickets and stop the bleeding today.
Interesting point(s)…why would Matlin be scared of JJ? Any context you can provide? Just curious because I don’t have history on this. Thanks.
JJ will act with or without the approval of the AD. He pushed for the new logo publicly and forced the rebrand campaign. He hired a Hollywood guy on his own to produce music for game days, and made other unilateral decisions that the AD and the rest of the department had to go along with. JJ brings in players with character questions and did not stress academics or discipline all that much. He is a pro coach and takes that approach to coaching college. There were also character questions about JJ himself that you can hear about if you ask around town enough. Oh, and the AD at the time got fired for not being able to retain JJ. That was kind of a big deal.

A lot of these criticisms were probably valid even up to a few years ago, but at 68 years old with a clear succession plan in place he's much less of a risk now and brings so much to the table that is needed for this specific situation we are in at this moment.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

All these predictions are valid. The past does not always equal the future. (Wait...TG,nevermind).

I like the JJ choice too. It looks like he already has a plan and can "get to work" ASAP.

When Chow was hired, I was expecting PAC12 2.0. None of the Assistants came to join Chow. When Rolo was hired, he had his guys (and took his guys with him). That's a plan.

If we are wanting to rebuild the program, I have to agree with some of you that JJ is the best choice.

Past does not always equal the future. We all change (as we get older). Timmy Chang was a moke. That's not him anymore.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

poidog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:15 pm
202Warrior wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:42 pm
poidog wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:15 pm Matlin's not gonna hire JJ because he's afraid of JJ and has no balls. the package deal of JJ and Miano is the best option out there, and would be even better if they could get some of the other candidates to commit to joining the staff with them. But Matlin doesn't want to hire people he can't control unless they are praising the lord at every possible moment. I think we'd be fine in time with a Brian Smith or Timmy Chang, but hiring JJ would sell tickets and stop the bleeding today.
Interesting point(s)…why would Matlin be scared of JJ? Any context you can provide? Just curious because I don’t have history on this. Thanks.
JJ will act with or without the approval of the AD. He pushed for the new logo publicly and forced the rebrand campaign. He hired a Hollywood guy on his own to produce music for game days, and made other unilateral decisions that the AD and the rest of the department had to go along with. JJ brings in players with character questions and did not stress academics or discipline all that much. He is a pro coach and takes that approach to coaching college. There were also character questions about JJ himself that you can hear about if you ask around town enough. Oh, and the AD at the time got fired for not being able to retain JJ. That was kind of a big deal.

A lot of these criticisms were probably valid even up to a few years ago, but at 68 years old with a clear succession plan in place he's much less of a risk now and brings so much to the table that is needed for this specific situation we are in at this moment.
Matlin also should realize that his job may depend on who he hires. If he screws up again, I expect him to be gone. JJ has a plan for the immediate and the future. If Matlin can't see that because of his own ego, then he should get out now.
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

https://twitter.com/SoteloZhen/status/1483519859296141312

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

gpmcconnell wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:56 pm It’s becoming a situation where if June isn’t named the coach there will be a revolt which I am strongly against and really blame JJ for. Shame on him for what he is pulling. Talk to some SMU folks, they will tell you about JJ.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just stop already. You made your point. You hate June Jones and that is it. We get it.

Like you, I too have made my point clear. There is no better choice than JJ to fix this broken UH program. I support him 1,000% +1. And given his title as the most successful coach at UH ever, it should be no surprise (nor fault) that all news media will be all over JJ for his thoughts and intentions. To shape it all as "What he is pulling," simply illustrates your personal hatred towards the man and his success. I believe the operative statement is....haters gonna hate. :lol:

Bring it on! JJ 2.0 at UH.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul