June Jones declines University of Hawaii football coaching job. Possible investigation?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Re: JUNE JONES OR BUST!

Post by nostra_808 »

ulua wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:37 pm Keith Bhonapha, Boise State associate head coach

Bhonapha is a former Hawaii running back and also began his college coaching career at UH. He has steadily climbed the ranks, coaching running backs at Boise State and Washington before returning to Boise following the 2021 season.
wasn't Bhonapha a safety?

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

June Jones gave UH every opportunity to extend his contract. UH snoozed and the coach left. There are no immediate assurances that he is available given his recent connections to the XFL. The June Jones 2.0 organization at UH would certainly include the likes of Miano and alums. It would invigorate this broken program in ways that no other candidate would be able to do. All other candidates offer hypotheticals at best. June Jones is the only one who would deliver on his abilities.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

nostra_808 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:42 am
ulua wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:37 pm Keith Bhonapha, Boise State associate head coach

Bhonapha is a former Hawaii running back and also began his college coaching career at UH. He has steadily climbed the ranks, coaching running backs at Boise State and Washington before returning to Boise following the 2021 season.
Yes.
ImageImage

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

Irse wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:02 pm
nostra_808 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:42 am

Yes.
lol k, sorry, i know it was irrelevant to the topic, but it's just one of those things that made me question my memory.

but on topic, I wouldn't mind JJ or anyone from that staff to return our program to it's glory days. Jeff Reinbold has been voicing on twitter that he would love to come back and help UH. I could live with Miano at HC. I too think that he would stick around for a long time and could retire as HC since he is established in Hawai'i, I just really don't see him leaving for "better opportunities". If his goal was that, I would think he would have moved to the mainland to work his way up the ladder in another program. maybe JJ comes back to help mentor someone for a few years, then pass the torch. it's sad to see players leaving, but it's still exciting to see what the future will be with a new coach.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Irse wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:32 am
gpmcconnell wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:55 am
WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:40 am My favorite is June Jones, he just might be the preverbal shot in the arm to get the Hawaii program back on track. Nothing beats experience in how to build a winning program in a tough recruiting market like Hawaii. With coaches leaving Oklahoma for USC or Notre Dame for LSU there is no long term coaching mentality anymore. Add over 3000 players in the transfer portal, up from 1200 last season, even the players are not staying long term for various reasons. Having said that, I like all those candidates listed by KHON 2, let's see who actually applies for the job? UH can't hire somebody who didn't apply.
Remember when June Jones abandoned the program for SMU?
I don't remember that. I remember that his contract ran out when he left because Frazier did not offer him one. And he was willing to take a pay cut as long as the money they saved would be put back into the program. That is what I remembered.
This, I too remember.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

nostra_808
Starter
Starter

Post by nostra_808 »

the only person I felt abandoned the program was Rolo. Can't blame him to chase more money to support his family. But he left after renewing his contract, so it was still an abandonment. lol

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

nostra_808 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:24 pm the only person I felt abandoned the program was Rolo. Can't blame him to chase more money to support his family. But he left after renewing his contract, so it was still an abandonment. lol
However it went down with Frazier, he still left for more money. He could have stayed.

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Walkoff Balk »

Irving Meyer (Rhythm Clapping)

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

gpmcconnell wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:59 am
nostra_808 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:24 pm the only person I felt abandoned the program was Rolo. Can't blame him to chase more money to support his family. But he left after renewing his contract, so it was still an abandonment. lol
However it went down with Frazier, he still left for more money. He could have stayed.
I think that JJ wanted to stay, but that Frazier did not want to retain him.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

daddy
Starter
Starter
MLB: Kansas City Royals
NFL: Chiefs and any team w/CB

Post by daddy »

Walkoff Balk wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:22 am Irving Meyer (Rhythm Clapping)
Is that Urban's older, Jewish cousin?

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Walkoff Balk »

daddy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:23 am
Oy vey!

vailima
All-conference
All-conference

Post by vailima »

People on this board were all over the story about Bo Grahamʻs relationship with a student and youʻre asking for JJ? Thatʻs what I like about this board…consistency :lol:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Walkoff Balk wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:05 pm
Oy vey!
Fun fact:
Actor Irving Meyers was casted as "the man at the bar" in the movie "Irreconcilable Differences"
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0087482/full ... _=m_ttfc_3

Coach Urban Meyer is having Irreconcilable Difference with his wife due to being "the man at the bar" :o

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:12 pm
Walkoff Balk wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:05 pm

Oy vey!
Fun fact:
Actor Irving Meyers was casted as "the man at the bar" in the movie "Irreconcilable Differences"
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0087482/full ... _=m_ttfc_3

Coach Urban Meyer is having Irreconcilable Difference with his wife due to being "the man at the bar" :o
He deserves it.
ImageImage

gpmcconnell
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gpmcconnell »

vailima wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:12 pm People on this board were all over the story about Bo Grahamʻs relationship with a student and youʻre asking for JJ? Thatʻs what I like about this board…consistency :lol:
Exactly, people should look at June Jones exit from SMU a little bit closer. There’s a reason he hasn’t been a candidate at any other college since he resigned for personal reasons