UH Will Play at Ching Field - 100% Capacity Being Allowed

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Re: UH football games at Ching field?

Post by UnBiasFan »

My3Cats wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:31 pm
This is so very true. The fans who aren't able to fit in the current stands may have to bring their own lawn chairs. There will be portapotties and food trucks for concessions. Can you imagine Robert Kekaula and Rich Miano on top of one of those scissor lifts/cherry pickers to do the TV broadcast?
Everybody bring ladders like at the chicken fights.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/03/ ... s-in-2021/

From the Star-Advertiser....
UH athletics could net $3.1M playing on campus in 2021
By Ferd Lewis

The University of Hawaii estimates it could net $3.1 million for the athletic department budget if the Rainbow Warriors football team plays to the projected 10,000-seat capacity for its six home games on campus this season.

That would be approximately $300,000 less than UH said it netted in 2019, the last full season the Warriors played before fans at Aloha Stadium but $3.3 million better than was netted in 2020 with no fans in the stands, when UH says it absorbed a $200,000 loss.

Playing on campus without fans in 2021 would result in a $100,000 loss, the report estimates based upon no “fan-based revenues or costs.”

The estimates are contained in a “Venue and Fan Attendance Scenarios” report scheduled to be presented to the school’s Board of Regents today restating a case for playing at the Clarence T.C. Ching Athletic Complex.

UH has previously said it considered other sites, including War Memorial Stadium on Maui.

Assuming what it describes as an “aggressive” timeline that is subject to change, UH said installation of key elements, including turf, grandstands, prefabricated press boxes, portable concessions, scoreboards, etc. could conclude Aug. 16, nearly three weeks before the scheduled Sept. 4 home opener against Portland State.

In the latest report, UH projects it may have to play “three plus years” on campus before it can move into the New Aloha Stadium Entertainment District facility in 2024 or later.

The report notes that on-campus “fan attendance will be in accordance with whatever COVID-19 requirements are at the time. Even if fan attendance is required to be socially distanced in 2021, the cumulative financial results over the minimum three-year period supports improving the Ching Complex to accommodate fans.”

UH estimates capital improvement costs to make the Ching Complex suitable to hold the games before 10,000 fans would cost approximately $6.13 million “assuming permitting and other conditions allow UH to ‘buy’ as opposed to ‘rent’” grandstands.

Currently the Ching Complex can seat approximately 3,585, a UH official said, and additional seating would have to be brought in to reach the 10,000 mark.

The cost of purchasing grandstands is estimated at $1.9 million, while adding bleachers would be an additional $200,000. Press box electrical improvements are pegged at $2 million, while the cost of relocating scoreboards, video boards, game clocks and installing a sound system would be $1.16 million.

Operating costs, which would include “porta potties, shuttles” etc., are still to be determined.

The report said “Athletics is seeking other sources of funding, such as donor contributions, to help offset (a) portion of the costs,” but noted, “at this stage of the process it is uncertain how much, if any, might eventually be offset by contributions.”

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/03/ ... b188972bdc

From the Star-Advertiser....
University of Hawaii athletic department has commitments of more than $2M to help underwrite its on-campus stadium
By Ferd Lewis

The University of Hawaii athletic department has commitments for more than $2 million in gifts to help underwrite the cost of the football team’s move to an on-campus stadium, the Board of Regents was told on Wednesday.

In response to questions by Regent Jan Sullivan regarding funding for the estimated $6.12 million project to upgrade the Clarence T.C. Ching Athletic Complex for the 2021 season, athletic director David Matlin told the committee on intercollegiate athletics, “We’ve had three pretty good gifts that have been committed to that we’re finalizing details (on) that total over $2 million for this project.”

Matlin said, “That’s a big part of it, obviously, and then using (capital improvement) money from the university. We actually have a lot of campaigns going on where we have some meaningful donations that, maybe not in the six and seven figures, add up also.”

Sullivan said, “I’m glad to hear that you are hoping to narrow the gap.”

UH shifted its focus to the Ching Complex after it said it was advised that Aloha Stadium would not be available for home games with fans in attendance due to on going safety concerns.

UH has listed an “aggressive” timeline for installation of key elements by Aug. 16.

Committee chairman Simeon Acoba, noting that UH is listing its home opener as Sept. 4 with Portland State, asked, “Is that (Sept. 4 at Ching) a promise?”

Matlin said, “We will have a game on Sept. 4, 2021, that’s what our schedule says.”

Acoba asked, “But, at the Complex?”

Matlin responded, “You know I’ve said before that failure is not an option. We’re working hard to make this happen. There are, obviously, some things we can’t control, but I’m optimistic that we will have the baseline needs done by that time.”

But, Matlin added, “We might not have everything done that we like by Week Two or Year Two or Year Three. But, yeah, I’m optimistic that we will be able to play on the (Ching Complex) based upon the minimum requirements needed, so we’re really prioritizing what we’re doing and some things might have to wait, depending upon timing and funds.”

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

202Warrior wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:08 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:47 am Since its been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I'll address why GoFundMe is not a good alternative.
First its not tax deductible, Nakoa is. Second, the last time there was a UH GoFundMe fund raising in 2019, there was less money contributed than the target of 6 or 5 thousand dollars. If you don't itemize on your tax return, $300 is tax deductible. Finally, most people in Hawaii do not have the funds available to make a dent in $6M. Cost of living in Hawaii is the highest in the nation but the people are the happiest in the nation. :D

Well gosh darn it. How does someone get in touch with Nakoa? I understand we’re not a P5 school with rich donors, but we have to start somewhere. I’m no expert...I just look at problems with the lens of what we can do vs what we can’t do.
Here you go...

https://hui.uhfoundation.org/project/25766

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

poidog wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:51 pm
202Warrior wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:08 am
shrek2 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:47 am Since its been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I'll address why GoFundMe is not a good alternative.
First its not tax deductible, Nakoa is. Second, the last time there was a UH GoFundMe fund raising in 2019, there was less money contributed than the target of 6 or 5 thousand dollars. If you don't itemize on your tax return, $300 is tax deductible. Finally, most people in Hawaii do not have the funds available to make a dent in $6M. Cost of living in Hawaii is the highest in the nation but the people are the happiest in the nation. :D

Well gosh darn it. How does someone get in touch with Nakoa? I understand we’re not a P5 school with rich donors, but we have to start somewhere. I’m no expert...I just look at problems with the lens of what we can do vs what we can’t do.
Here you go...

https://hui.uhfoundation.org/project/25766
Poidog or someone else on this site can help save some time for research. Are these contributions tax deductible and is there a limit to the amount that can be deducted?

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

uhfoundation is tax deductable.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

ubercow wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:13 am uhfoundation is tax deductable.
Thanks. Time to put my money where my mouth is.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

shrek2 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:04 am
ubercow wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:13 am uhfoundation is tax deductable.
Thanks. Time to put my money where my mouth is.
thank YOU! and thank you to anyone else who contributes.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

This is interesting that I got an email confirming my contribution from scalefunder.com. Usually when I contribute to nakoa, I get a receipt from uhfoundation.org. Does this mean that scalefunder.com has been hired to deal with contributions? Also, at the bottom of the email it says consult your tax preparer for deductions whereas the emails from uhfoundation.org usually say $ is tax deductible. Any insights?

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

shrek2 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:24 am This is interesting that I got an email confirming my contribution from scalefunder.com. Usually when I contribute to nakoa, I get a receipt from uhfoundation.org. Does this mean that scalefunder.com has been hired to deal with contributions? Also, at the bottom of the email it says consult your tax preparer for deductions whereas the emails from uhfoundation.org usually say $ is tax deductible. Any insights?
in the footer of hui.uhfoundation.org it says 'powered by scalefunder'. you probably should contact uh foundation about it directly ( https://www.uhfoundation.org/contact ) as they would best know how they setup their crowdfunding site.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

ubercow wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:32 am
shrek2 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:24 am This is interesting that I got an email confirming my contribution from scalefunder.com. Usually when I contribute to nakoa, I get a receipt from uhfoundation.org. Does this mean that scalefunder.com has been hired to deal with contributions? Also, at the bottom of the email it says consult your tax preparer for deductions whereas the emails from uhfoundation.org usually say $ is tax deductible. Any insights?
in the footer of hui.uhfoundation.org it says 'powered by scalefunder'. you probably should contact uh foundation about it directly ( https://www.uhfoundation.org/contact ) as they would best know how they setup their crowdfunding site.
Thanks, I did reach out to them and this is the message I got back.
I’m so sorry for the confusion. Yes, your gift is tax deductible as usual.

We appreciate your helpful feedback, sharing that the receipt you received left you unsure on that point. We are working, at this very moment, to make the receipt clearer for others who give to the project as well.
Totally legit, 100% deductible, best cause I contributed to in a while! Go Bows!

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

"Please retain for your tax purposes
Unless indicated above, there were no substantial donor benefits associated with this gift. Please consult your tax advisor as to the deductibility of this gift."

sounds like the entire donation is deductible as no substantial donor benefits were associated with this gift. but, i don't itemize my deductions anyway.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

st808 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:32 pm "Please retain for your tax purposes
Unless indicated above, there were no substantial donor benefits associated with this gift. Please consult your tax advisor as to the deductibility of this gift."

sounds like the entire donation is deductible as no substantial donor benefits were associated with this gift. but, i don't itemize my deductions anyway.
This may be OT but I'll try to help if I can since you're obviously a part of the Warrior family. Caveat is I didn't do my own taxes for last year but from what I see, any donations can be entered line 10b to offset income for people not itemizing.

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

shrek2 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:22 am
st808 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:32 pm "Please retain for your tax purposes

This may be OT but I'll try to help if I can since you're obviously a part of the Warrior family. Caveat is I didn't do my own taxes for last year but from what I see, any donations can be entered line 10b to offset income for people not itemizing.
the instructions limit donations entered on 10b to $300, which is the only deduction i claim. thanks for your concern, though. i do my own taxes, maybe next year i'll look at the deductions again to see if it's worth claiming.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

Same typical arrogant actions being taken yet again by Hawaii's State Legislators.....this time to provide CIP (Capital Improvement Project) funding ($42.5M) for their special construction project that UH did not ask for (nor know anything about).....while also cutting both UH's operating & CIP construction budgets....also not providing any State funding for UH to improve the Ching Field Complex (which is now being solely funded by private donations - with the exception of the current turf replacement work which was funded previously by the State Legislature).

Instead of allow UH to focus on what programs/facilities already self-prioritized by the UH Board of Regents, now UH is obligated instead to divert some of its available diminished operating budget & staff resources to instead develop, design & construct a facility in Wahiawa for which UH has no program information about (because the State Legislators unilaterally prioritized & funded it by inserting their "pork" project into the UH CIP budget without allowing UH to provide any input nor feedback). While not his direct constituent, UH is definitely a stakeholder that Senate Ways and Means Chairman Donovan Dela Cruz evidently did not bother to keep informed. :roll:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/05/ ... nearly-14/
Legislators have chopped the general funds operating budget for the University of Hawaii at Manoa by 13.8% for the fiscal year that starts July 1, a major blow that will be hard to absorb.

As for repairing and upgrading the university’s physical plant, the Board of Regents had sought $288 million in capital improvement projects in the next fiscal year statewide and $232.5 million the following year. The Legislature appropriated $203.35 million for the first year and less than half of what was sought in the second year — $102.6 million in general obligation bonds.

The largest single project in the capital improvement budget approved by legislators for next year is something that the university had not sought and that came as a surprise: a $42.5 million Resource and Education Center in Wahiawa.

Young noted in his message that it “was not requested by the board and it is unclear what this project entails.”

In a legislative update to his constituents Monday, Senate Ways and Means Chairman Donovan Dela Cruz announced that the Senate had pushed to include that center, which is in his district, in the final draft of the project.

“This project will consist of constructing a new library, Department of Education offices and classrooms for the community colleges,” Dela Cruz wrote. “These key state and city services will help revitalize Wahiawa town.”
https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2021/05/06/ ... ive-recap/
While we can be appreciative of the level of funding provided, there were also a few projects that were not requested by UH, yet they were put into the university’s budget. For example, $42.5 million has been provided to construct a Resource and Education Center, which was not requested by the Board, and it is unclear what this project entails.
Additionally, $28.0 million was appropriated by the Legislature to the Department of Agriculture, but UH is the “expending agency” for these funds. Again, it is unclear what the purpose of this project is or how it relates to UH. It is unclear as to the extent that these funding choices of the Legislature came at the expense of funding other actually needed UH priorities.