Computer security

Discuss computer software and hardware information, along with the latest pc and console gaming news.
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Computer security

Post by Irse »

Just got my issue of Maximum PC and they had an article about securing your PC. So what are people using now? For my Win 10 machine, I use the Microsoft antivirus and firewall. Is that good enough? How about a VPN? They recommended Windscribe but I've heard a lot of commercials about NordVPN
I haven't been hit with a virus or any other malware that I know of. I do use Malwarebytes Premium and scan it daily.

BTW, my grammar is bad and I have been using Grammarly and it has helped quite a bit.
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: Computer security

Post by ubercow »

you most likely won't need a VPN of that type. only if you're trying to do illegal downloads that get flagged by your ISP, or if you're looking to get around a country block to do things (stream/view things not allowed to stream in the US) Malwarebytes premium does a reasonably good job, that combined with the pre-installed windows defender+firewall, and not going to sketchy sites regularly will keep you pretty safe.

grammarly is pretty nice, I have the plugin running in just the browser I use to blog with

Irse

Post by Irse »

I don't do anything questionable so I'll just stick with the Microsoft stuff along with Malwarebytes. Thanks
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

saw a pretty informative video today about generic computer security practices:

Link

it went over the topic of VPNs. if you use public wifi, then yes, VPNs would be useful for you. personally, I just recommend not using public-wifi when at all possible.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Thanks. Only go on public wifi when I'm on a trip but I should start protecting myself then.
ImageImage