HUGE COMPUTER PROBLEM, SCREEN SAYS "NO SIGNAL"

Discuss computer software and hardware information, along with the latest pc and console gaming news.
xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: HUGE COMPUTER PROBLEM, SCREEN SAYS "NO SIGNAL"

Post by xer 21 »

ok, so i tried madeinhawaii's cards (thanks you so much, by the way) and i still couldnt get a picture. called evga's tech support, and they told me to move the card to another slot. i did, and this time, i got a picture, and the system told me the card was in the wrong slot and i cant go farther than the initial bios startup screen. so i know that at least madeinhawaii's cards work (couldnt test mine in the other slot yet, the 8800 is so damn big, and my hard drive is in the way right now) and its probably either a seating problem or the slot is bad. unfortunately, if the slot is bad, i cant use the motherboard because stupidly, you have to use the top slot if you are not in sli mode :x.

anyways, if you have any ideas, please post them,but if not, i'll have to get a new mobo. :(
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

I did a search online it the PCIe slot burning out without affecting the rest of the system seems to be a somewhat common issue. I'm surprised.

I hate to say this, but it does sound like your PCIe slot has gone the way of the dinosaur.

What kind of RAM do you have? is it DDR or DDR2? How many expansion slots does your current mobo have? Or, more importantly, your computer case? I have an older Gigabyte GA-75748 full form ATX. It will not fit into a case that has less than 6 expansion slots (mini-atx cases). The board uses the older 184 pin DDR RAM and ATI AGP video cards. I have the video cards... RAM too, is you need them, but no case. The CPU is an AMD single core... 1800 Mhz. It all boils down to what kind of case you have.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

madeinhawaii wrote:I did a search online it the PCIe slot burning out without affecting the rest of the system seems to be a somewhat common issue. I'm surprised.

I hate to say this, but it does sound like your PCIe slot has gone the way of the dinosaur.

What kind of RAM do you have? is it DDR or DDR2? How many expansion slots does your current mobo have? Or, more importantly, your computer case? I have an older Gigabyte GA-75748 full form ATX. It will not fit into a case that has less than 6 expansion slots (mini-atx cases). The board uses the older 184 pin DDR RAM and ATI AGP video cards. I have the video cards... RAM too, is you need them, but no case. The CPU is an AMD single core... 1800 Mhz. It all boils down to what kind of case you have.
actually, on a whim, i tried the your card again, and i may have seated it poorly the first time, as my computer now works again! however, i think the original card has died. the fan turns on but i cant get it to work no matter what i try and the post numbers on my mother board lock up on "FF" every time i use it. however, Nvidia was kind enough to try and get me and RMA approval to replace the card even though its out of warranty. in any case, thank you so much for helping me with my problem.

targets.

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Ah.. Good news! Now you can sleep well, tonight.
Can't be late for your first day of class. Plan on getting there early.. I've always hated the traffic and hated the parking situation at UH even more. So much so that I eventually rented a small room with a parking stall nearby during my UH years... decades ago... I can't imagine that it is any better.

Good luck to you!

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by xer 21 »

madeinhawaii wrote:Ah.. Good news! Now you can sleep well, tonight.
Can't be late for your first day of class. Plan on getting there early.. I've always hated the traffic and hated the parking situation at UH even more. So much so that I eventually rented a small room with a parking stall nearby during my UH years... decades ago... I can't imagine that it is any better.

Good luck to you!
well, my first class is at 1030, im gonna have some waiting to do! at least i have a parking pass.

targets.