Left 4 Dead (PC, Xbox 360)

Discuss computer software and hardware information, along with the latest pc and console gaming news.
Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Two idiots bumble their way through Valve's zombie outbreak.

By Thierry Nguyen and Brad Shoemaker
Gametap.com
May 13, 2008

Based on the epithets coming out of our mouths, I'm starting to think Valve should rename this OH S---: The Game.
The basic pitch for Left 4 Dead is "cooperative survival horror." That tiny little phrase would ordinarily merit a "so it's Silent Hill with a dumbass AI buddy?" type of reaction, but when you hear the phrase being used by a Valve employee, it takes on a bit more weight. If anything, Left 4 Dead is a essentially a crazy, zombified version of Counter-Strike, where your goal is to get yourself (and your team) over to safety. We recently attempted (key word) a run through one of Left 4 Dead's four scenarios against the AI, and, er, here're the results:

http://www.gametap.com/articles/gamepre ... 0-05132008
ImageImageImageImage

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Re: Left 4 Dead (PC, Xbox 360)

Post by xer 21 »

Kailuaboy wrote:Left 4 Dead (PC, Xbox 360)

Gametap.com
May 13, 2008

Based on the epithets coming out of our mouths, I'm starting to think Valve should rename this OH S---: The Game.
The basic pitch for Left 4 Dead is "cooperative survival horror." That tiny little phrase would ordinarily merit a "so it's Silent Hill with a dumbass AI buddy?" type of reaction, but when you hear the phrase being used by a Valve employee, it takes on a bit more weight. If anything, Left 4 Dead is a essentially a crazy, zombified version of Counter-Strike, where your goal is to get yourself (and your team) over to safety. We recently attempted (key word) a run through one of Left 4 Dead's four scenarios against the AI, and, er, here're the results:

sounds good. any game with an m14 in it scores bonus points.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Poopsnorkeler
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Poopsnorkeler »

was interested in this game since it had zombies. saw a video of it but wasn't really that impressed. just another dark, scary game.

one zombie game that i wish generates a sequel is dead rising 2. dead rising on the xbox 360 was one of the best games i've ever played but i hear john romero and company are suing capcom over the game since the theme of dead rising is too similar to the dawn of the dead movie. i hope they work it out so capcom can start work on dead rising 2!

krazychinaman
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Phillies
NBA: None
NFL: Patriots

Post by krazychinaman »

xer 21 wrote:
Kailuaboy wrote:Left 4 Dead (PC, Xbox 360)

Gametap.com
May 13, 2008

sounds good. any game with an m14 in it scores bonus points.
i think that was wrong cos the game dont have m14...

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

laiho03 wrote:i think that was wrong cos the game dont have m14...
Scooter: Left 4 Dead uses an "AI director" that somehow analyzes how stressed out we are; it's like free therapy at those useless health fairs that office and college people like to throw. The director grants us a breather after a particularly intense zombie push, and it also throws in a crapload of guys when you've had said breather. After working our way to the saferoom to end the level a second time, we snag some health and some new guns. The second tier of weapons includes upgraded versions of the guns we had, such as an auto-shotgun and a M14 assault rifle. I think we're too busy just getting snazzier versions of our current weapons to notice the hunting rifle, a sort of badass bolt-action sniper rifle type of deal. Another minor upgrade includes a second sidearm for some guns-akimbo action. We load up the next act for this scenario, which now puts us through a bunch of subway tunnels and overturned cars. Nothing like a zombie push inside tight, confined spaces. Because of these tight quarters, we find ourselves getting more downtime, as players go down, and another player has to quickly revive the fallen; there's lot of "get the f--- over here and save me!" or "reviving Brad, cover me!" types of shouts now. This shoot-and-revive dance continues on until we hit a really big room with a new piece of hardware in it.
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Valve Interview Part 2: Left 4 Dead Demo Potential, the Evolution of Steam, and More

May 23, 2008 11:43am CST
by Nick Breckon

Don't miss part one of our interview with Valve marketing VP Doug Lombardi, in which he talks at length about the PC gaming platform and its many perception issues.

Entering the final minutes of EA's Spring Break event, most demo stations in the room long since abandoned, Valve's bank of Left 4 Dead systems were still at capacity.

Zombies exploding in the background, I pinged Lombardi on a number of Valve-related topics, from Left 4 Dead release plans, to the new Steamworks initiative, to what his company has planned for the future.

Shack: What's the current state of development on Left 4 Dead?

Doug Lombardi: So the game is pretty much playable all the way through right now. And as we've done with most of our games, we get to a point where, it's playable all the way through, there are some [minor] issues that we need to work on, and we try to add more time to the schedule to have as many people as possible play the game, to make sure that it's approachable to players of all skills. We want to make sure that all the game that we've built gets played, not just be like, "Okay, it's complete, let's ship it."

For example, Half-Life 2 was pretty much done in April of 2004, and we spent the rest of that year just looking at pacing, and looking at approachability, and making sure the easy setting was easy enough, etc. So we're in a pretty similar state right now, with it being, what, early May, and we're looking at the same time frame--November--for shipping.

So we're going to be spending a lot of time just bringing it to events like this, taking it to Quakecon and Leipzig, and just getting as many people's hands on it as possible to make sure that it's playing right and that it's fun, and that the group dynamics are showing up and are visible to people.

Shack: It's going to ship simultaneously on the Xbox 360, right?

Doug Lombardi: 360 and PC worldwide in November.

Shack: I heard you might launch it with a free weekend?

Doug Lombardi: We're kicking around a lot of ideas now and nothing's final.

The free weekend has proven to be really, really powerful in terms of promoting sales on Steam, as well as on retail. I think the first one that we did was Day of Defeat back in February of 2006, and it was basically a rip-off of the old cable model. Like HBO used to do it when I was a kid. [laughs] We were like, it'd be cool if we could give somebody a taste of the whole game instead of making a demo, and the Steam guys went off and said, "Okay, we can do this."

And so we tried it with Day of Defeat, and it worked out. We saw this huge sales spike on Steam immediately when it ended, but then also that whole week we saw a spike in retail as well. So we said, okay, we're obviously on to something here. So we've done it with Team Fortress--one of the things we experimented with Team Fortress was doing it regionalized. So we did a Germany-only free weekend, and then recently we did a worldwide one. We're still sort of tinkering with the model and playing with it a little bit, but we'll definitely at some point do a free weekend for Left 4 Dead. It'll be somewhere near the launch. Whether or not it's the first weekend is still sort of to be determined.

Shack: Will there be a demo as well?

Doug Lombardi: I think so, I think so. Whether or not there will be a demo before or after is something we're still talking about. You know, most of the time we've done them afterwards, so we'll see where it falls.

Read more:
http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=874
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Adam gets the story on Left 4 Dead, the co-op Zombie FPS for Xbox 360 and PC, from Valve's Doug Lombardi.

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/videos/26015/ ... _Dead.html
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

E3 Preview: Hands On With 'Left 4 Dead'

Posted By: Jonathan Hunt
Monday, June 23, 2008 9:00 AM

G4 recently attended a event at EA where we were allowed some Hands On time with some of the most anticipated games EA would be announcing or showing off at E3. Some of them, we can't talk about yet. Others are free and clear and this is just one of several posts today, chronicling some the games we were able to demo at EA's E3 2008 Preview. First up is Valve's co-op shooter, Left 4 Dead.

Remember back when Doom first hit your PC and you experienced genuine tension in a way that no videogame had ever made you feel before? That's what we experienced with Left 4 Dead. The designers have set out to redefine co-operative gameplay and it looks like they just might do it.

The game is a living, breathing zombie movie, where you and three other players will find yourselves tearing through city streets in an effort to evade the masses of the walking dead.

G4 got to experience the bloodbath firsthand and take our word for it, the co-op in this game puts others to shame. Never before has a videogame used teamwork to this extent. Sure, multiplayer games like Halo and Gears of War have certain benefits to teamwork, but Left 4 Dead expects teamwork. Without it, it doesn't matter how good a marksman you are, you will die.

Left 4 Dead will be composed of four campaigns, moving from the city, to the woods, back to the city, and back to the woods. At the event, we were only able to get our hands on the first campaign: A bloody, intense quest to make it through a series of stores, homes, and alleyways, in an attempt to reach the roof of the local hospital where the promise of rescue seemingly awaits. Let it be known that we at TheFeed were never rescued. Each of our attempts to survive the dreaded zombie apocalypse was met with nothing but grisly death -- and we loved every second of it.

On top of the seemingly never-ending hordes of mindless undead, you will encounter the terrifying "Boss Infected" mutants. Though there are four different types in all, in our play, we only came across two, but each spelled certain doom for our ragtag team of survivors. First, we encountered the Tank, a walking Incredible Hulk of a zombie, completely flattening anything and anyone in his way. The game also includes the Hunter, who will surprise you with his stealth and can even pin players to the ground, requiring a fellow survivor for rescue, and the Boomer, whose really nothing more than a walking methane bomb. Finally, we encountered a Witch. The Witch is the only one of the mutants that is restricted to certain difficulty ratings (Normal and above).

The game is designed for heavy co-op play, though offline play is possible, with AI bots standing in for your fellow survivors. We didn't get a chance to experience the game with AI-survivors, but we're not too worried. We don't see ourselves playing this game alone very often anyway.

We would have to say that Left 4 Dead was one of the shining stars of EA's pre-E3 event and definitely something we'll be looking for in the future. At the event, the game was only playable on the PC, but it will be released for both PC and Xbox 360 come this Fall.

You can check out the screenshot gallery here.

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/blog/post/686 ... _Dead.html
ImageImageImageImage

Poopsnorkeler
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Poopsnorkeler »

Seen a couple of videos. Not that impressed. Looks like countless other shoot um ups out there.

What people are asking for is Dead Rising 2!

Capcom, are you listening?!? I hope this is one of your "secrets" you're going to announce at the CES!!!

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Poopsnorkeler wrote:Seen a couple of videos. Not that impressed. Looks like countless other shoot um ups out there.
The one thing that sets Left 4 Dead apart from other games is the AI Director. It adjusts the game play (zombies) based on how you're playing the game. So, you'll experience something different each time you play the game. Also, teamwork is essential to successful game play. If the final game is anything like the game play experienced by early reviewers, it should be a fun game to play.
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Joystiq hands-on: Left 4 Dead, round 2

by Kevin Kelly
Jun 25th 2008 12:45PM

Randy posted such a good hands-on experience with Left 4 Dead last month, that it would be outrageous for us to try and repeat his performance. So, we spent some time asking the guys at Valve what they'd changed between now and then. They were showing off the exact same level in order to illustrate how far they'd come in the five weeks they'd had in-between demos. New world art throughout the level was a lot grittier and moodier, and will probably cause quite a few players to pee in their pants. Read on while we hunt for a dry pair.

Read more:
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/25/joyst ... d-round-2/
ImageImageImageImage

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

Sessler's Soapbox: Left 4 Awesome

Posted By: Jonathan Hunt
Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:36 PM

Let's face it, as terrifying and horrific as it sounds, there's a part of you that has secretly wished to live out the events of Night of the Living Dead or maybe 28 Days Later. Well, Valve is trying to make those dreams a reality with their upcoming Co-op FPS, Left 4 Dead (360, PC).

Adam got his hands on the game last week and it made such an impression that the Sess feels like he needs to share his initial thoughts on the game with the masses in this week's edition of Sessler's Soapbox.

What have you heard of Left 4 Dead? Are you excited or could you care less? Check out the video and let us know what you think or share your thoughts on our forums.

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/blog/post/686 ... esome.html
ImageImageImageImage

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

you're really hyped about this game i see. im gonna wait til i see more though, as far as ive seen from valve, they have yet to make a really good action game (yeah, i know HL and HL2, but those were more interesting for the physics and story and atmosphere than the actual gunplay for me)
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Poopsnorkeler
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Poopsnorkeler »

I saw more videos of it and I still don't know what's the big deal. I love my zombie games but Left 4 Dead doesn't seem to have that zombie feel to it like Resident Evil and Dead Rising. If it's co-op mayhem I'm looking for, I'd rather go back to the Serious Sam series. Now THAT was fun!

Left 4 Dead, I'm not sold yet.

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Kailuaboy »

xer 21 wrote:you're really hyped about this game i see. im gonna wait til i see more though, as far as ive seen from valve, they have yet to make a really good action game (yeah, i know HL and HL2, but those were more interesting for the physics and story and atmosphere than the actual gunplay for me)
Well, as I mentioned earlier, if the final game lives up to the early game play reviews, Left 4 Dead should be a really fun game to play. I played the first couple stages of HL2, but didn't care for that game. Even though I was never a big fan of games released by Valve, I'm pretty sure they won't release a crappy, bug-filled game unlike another big-time publisher I won't name. The AI Director should make for interesting game play since you won't be playing against the same exact attacks every time. So, I'll be keeping tabs on this game til it's released. If the final version receives positive reviews, I will be purchasing this game.
ImageImageImageImage